Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 210

Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 270436 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #2190 on: February 25, 2014, 11:17:57 pm »

I do have one question though, how does EVE PVE compare to other MMOs? Grinding the same raids 100 times like we are still playing Diablo 2 is hardly any better, fun and novelty wise.
eve is all pvp. sure, there are some activities in highsec where pvp is punished. but even there you will get involved in very one sided pvp if you happen to be a rich carebear that doesnt understand that eve is all pvp.
the closest thing to a raid are incursions. they are just as if not more borring then the classical raid, and they will just produce isk.
but then, you can buy anything there is in eve with isk. so isk are just as good as fancy purple pants. just that that noone will think youre a cool guy if you pose in your fancypants on the marketplace, and that ppl will kill you if you wear your fancypants. to steal them, and for the giggles. and of cause they will post the kill everywhere on the net so everybody else can laugh at you, too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:19:40 pm by motorbitch »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: February 26, 2014, 12:51:35 am »

I let my subscription lapse a couple months ago. Curiously, I've found that it hasn't noticeably diminished the amount of fun I get from Eve. It just reduces the amount of time I spend playing.

I'm thinking Eve is a lot more fun to read about than to play.

Well obviously. I slave 4 hours a day for a year at PI and related industry. You only have to read a Massively article to get the lulz of me blanketing 100% of Immensea systems in Caldari Research Outposts.

Heh. And while Mr oh-god-thats-amazing-but-why here pulls out a trillion ISK a year for the lulz, Fikes, Ottorous (oog name unknown?), and I were putzing around in a few wormholes, killing sleepers, losing ships, and laughing heartily as Fikes screws up the spawn triggers. ;). We made, oh, about 40m isk each. Back to my point about playstyles.

I screwed up ONE trigger and you lost the ship long before that. Your story makes it sound like I was shooting from the hip all night! You also left out the point where my corp paid you back for it   :P

Anyways, I have come and gone from Eve many times since beta. I am enjoying it now more than at any other point. I think the reason I enjoy it now is because I realized that having tons of isk around doesn't really change that much. I have 2 billion isk, but I fly an 80m isk Battle cruiser into worm holes. I fly a 200m isk battle ship for missions. Having a bunch of money is nice, but if you chase it all the time you just get burnt out.

To who ever said every time they got a nice ship they ended up losing it, I would recommend getting two cruisers instead of a single battle ship and bounce between missions and worm holes or pick up a venture and mine when the opportunity presents. Players who chase the holy grail of isk generally end up disappointed.

As for the whole selling plex thing, sure, you can get a lot of isk in game by selling plex and it is a lot faster than mining or really anything else. I can make $15 an hour in real life and convert it to 600m isk, or I can make 100m an hour in game. Yes, working in real life is quicker, but I would rather play a game.

As a final note I hope more people do the plex selling thing. It is expensive to keep three characters going. Someone should crash the market.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: February 26, 2014, 01:05:14 am »

As a final note I hope more people do the plex selling thing. It is expensive to keep three characters going. Someone should crash the market.

There may be some statement in the universe I agree with more than this, but I have not seen it yet. God it would be so amazing to have 400mil or cheaper plex.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: February 26, 2014, 02:08:37 am »

I've started playing again now, and sadly found that the Community is still one of the worst on the Internet.

Dont get me wrong, im not talking about the whole PvP "Pirates are EVUL!"-thing. I was pirating myself back with my main. Its the backstabbing/scamming/trust-stuff that just scares me off again every time. Maybe Im just unlucky, as many people tell me there actually ARE some decent Coprorations and players out there, that play for Fun and dont try to ram a knife in your back 4 weeks into Membership, but I have yet to find one.

I found EVE to be most enjoyable when sitting in a Teamspeak having beer, doing a few Missions for ISK, then lowseccing for a while, laughing about Flamewars in Chat and just having a good time. But this just gets shot down every other week when there's some Drama in Alliance, wars being declared or stupid Scam-Bullshit going on. Even the Tutorial plain tells you to trust absolutely noone, and it gets so frustrating to scroll trough 50 Corporations hoping to find at least a SINGLE decent one.

Sadly, noone in my friend circle plays it since they're scared off by the "immense Time investment". I tried multiple times to convince them that it isnt so bad, you skill even when offline after all and can fly some basic stuff fairly quickly, but the relatively dry early stage combined with the "Everyone is out to get you"-attitude just kills their interest instantly.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: February 26, 2014, 02:45:40 am »

I've started playing again now, and sadly found that the Community is still one of the worst on the Internet.

Dont get me wrong, im not talking about the whole PvP "Pirates are EVUL!"-thing. I was pirating myself back with my main. Its the backstabbing/scamming/trust-stuff that just scares me off again every time. Maybe Im just unlucky, as many people tell me there actually ARE some decent Coprorations and players out there, that play for Fun and dont try to ram a knife in your back 4 weeks into Membership, but I have yet to find one.

I found EVE to be most enjoyable when sitting in a Teamspeak having beer, doing a few Missions for ISK, then lowseccing for a while, laughing about Flamewars in Chat and just having a good time. But this just gets shot down every other week when there's some Drama in Alliance, wars being declared or stupid Scam-Bullshit going on. Even the Tutorial plain tells you to trust absolutely noone, and it gets so frustrating to scroll trough 50 Corporations hoping to find at least a SINGLE decent one.

Sadly, noone in my friend circle plays it since they're scared off by the "immense Time investment". I tried multiple times to convince them that it isnt so bad, you skill even when offline after all and can fly some basic stuff fairly quickly, but the relatively dry early stage combined with the "Everyone is out to get you"-attitude just kills their interest instantly.

The worst experience I ever had was getting podkilled in my Tayra because half the wormhole corp I was in thought I was a spy and the people who didn't were all in vacation. They did ship out my Ferox after and refund my losses in the Tayra though, so it wasn't malicious per say. And one guy gave me the tip that got me into my fantastic rental alliance. Of course then PL blew it and lost Immensea and my rental alliance had to move. Luckily I was able to make a deal to stay and do PI.

You just need to not join public corps. Only corps started on or referred to you be people from outside communities. Although apparently the Bay12 corp failed due to drama.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: February 26, 2014, 06:19:16 am »

Then I would advise you avoid joining half assed corps that look like (and probably were) formed up by some chucklefuck who set up his first EvE account and thought the coolest thing to do would be to start his own corp.

Also my general rule of thumb to avoid those corps, do not join high sec corps, industrial corps, corps with fewer than 50 people or corps that go days on end without getting any green on their killboards.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: February 26, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »

I will say again that you are welcome to come join us in Ordion. We are far from organized but at least we get together and do things on occasion.

I will add that most of my time in Eve has been spent under the trust no one mantra but I am realizing more and more that it is wrong to always think that way. Treat interactions with others the same way you treat other eve risks. Commit what you can afford to replace.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: February 26, 2014, 05:34:20 pm »

Its the backstabbing/scamming/trust-stuff that just scares me off again every time. Maybe Im just unlucky, as many people tell me there actually ARE some decent Coprorations and players out there, that play for Fun and dont try to ram a knife in your back 4 weeks into Membership, but I have yet to find one.

That's why I ended up starting a corp in the first place, that has seen over 120 members and I don't think a single one of them was unhappy with their experience here. And I've flat-out ejected about 15 members who went against the corp's ideals and talked back to me when reprimanded. But true, your point about it being hard to find somebody trustworthy is generally accurate.

Fikes has a pretty neat setup in Ordion - I'd be inclined to move down there myself, if I didn't want to go back to running a corp. But I'm probably going to put a JC down there.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 09, 2014, 07:38:30 pm »

Did anyone watch the NEOII this weekend and last weekend? It was actually pretty cool and CCP_BRO is awesome. Also, #WeHurtHypetrain.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 10, 2014, 08:19:51 am »

yeah, I watched quite a bit on the phone as I was busy around the house.  All the tournaments are worth watching - if you are into Eve.  Ive been watching the matches I missed on YouTube too, just disappointed I cant zoom into the UI at the bottom.  Which, now I think about it, is an odd thing not to be able to do.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: March 10, 2014, 10:57:31 pm »

How hard is it to not have a major alliance crash hard in Immensea once a month? Can there be one month of peace? Guys, pay Sov bills and stop disbanding alliances. Good lord.

Vortex Rikers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: March 11, 2014, 12:44:39 am »

MoLAos, I've been looking into PI this past week and have been failing horrily at it.

I barely get any kind of money, and from what I understood my setups are garbage as well. I've been optimizing but optimization is slow, and considering that all you need is to do it 'correctly' the first time, I gotta ask; How do you do PI properly? You claimed you make 400m isk a day from PI on 8 alts. Can you back that statement up with raw data? Is there any kind of proven guide to follow?  :P

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 11, 2014, 02:55:22 am »

You claimed you make 400m isk a day from PI on 8 alts.

Can you back that statement up with raw data?

I don't doubt his claims, but what MoLAoS is doing is sort of an extreme case. It's not representative of what most people can reasonably expect.

Also, while I'm sure he'll be in soon enough to give exact numbers, if I've read what he's doing correctly, he's not using "8 alts." he's using 8 accounts full of alts. 8 accoutns * 3 characters = 24 characters doing PI. If you're using one character, immediately divide that 400 million/day by 24 so you're comparing the same thing. That's only 16 million/day per character.

The next thing to remember is that he's doing this in nullsec, which has higher resource production rates. If you're doing this in highsec, you're likely to need more extractors to keep your processing running 24/7, which means a less efficient operation overall.

from what I understood my setups are garbage as well.

When I first started the big mistake I made was making excessively long connections. Longer connection eat more power which means fewer structures. So it helps to cluster things together.

Take a look here and scroll down towards the bottom for some examples.

The other big issue is planet and commodity selection. If you pick a planet at random and manufacture based on what resources it produces, odds are fairly high that the planet you chose at random might not be capable of producing anything on its own of much value. And the things that it can possibly contribute to making that are valuable probably require specific commodities from specific other planets. If you pick any two planets at random, the odds of them toegther producing something you probably want also aren't great.

Here's a chart

But there are lots of possible commodities to choose from, and market conditions might vary so I'm hesitant to say "just make x." Also, complexity of manufacture can help or hinder you. For example, if you insist on making high tier, say...Integrity Response Drones which eve-central lists as having a ~1.4 million/each Jita buy order price, that sounds great, right? But those require resources from six different planet types to make. Not only does that mean a lot of personal time investment from you to coordinate and ferry commodities around, the odds of finding all six of those planet types in any one system are fairly slim, meaning you might end up on complicted system A --> B --> C --> A --> D --> B routes between planets to make sure that each processor has the resource type it needs.

But then if you decide to go simple, like say...make exclusively mechanical parts because they require base and noble metals which can both be found on plasma planets, then assuming your PI skills are high enough to accomodate six planets, what are the odds of finding a system with 6 plasma worlds?

Where you are and what planet types you have available influences what you produce. And yes, you can choose systems based on planet types, but again...it's a lot more complicated and there are more profitable chocies than simply "produce X, it's great." Check the planet types within a couple jumps of where you plan on doing PI, check which resources are available, and check prices on eve central to see what's profitable to make.

How do you do PI properly?

I think that depends on your goal. For example, I wouldn't do what MoLAoS is doing because he's spending multiple hours a day doing PI. Do you want to spend hours every day to fund 8 accounts? Or do you want something you can casually do ten minutes a day for an easy extra 100-200 million isk/month? Or do you want to plex your account every month?

If you want to simply casually do PI in highsec, only log in for 5 minutes a day to reset extractors and then spend an hour or two ferrying goods around once a week, I can personally confirm that 100 million isk/month is attainable. At least as of ~6 months ago when I last bothered doign PI. More than that is certainly possible, but again, what are your goals? What kind of time investment are you willing to put in? How much time are you willing to stare at spreadsheets? Are you willing to watch the market and stockpile commodities when their current market value is low? Are you willing to relocate your character to a more suitable system? Are you willing to grind faction standings to reduce broker's fees? Will you be selling at maret price or placing sell orders and adjusting them regularly? How much time are you willing to spend ferrying goods between your planets? Are you willing to log on every four hours every day every week to reset extractors, only once a day, or only a couple times per week? The shorter their cycle the more efficient they are. If you're using 3 day extraction cycles you collect fewer resources than if you're using 12 hour extraction cycles. But are you really willing to log on twice a day every day?

If you want to PLEX every month, you'll probably need to do it in low or null, and not only train PI skill on your main, but also fill up both alt slots on your account with PI characters too. Keep in mind that three characters each with level 5 Interplanetary Consolidation skill means you might be managing as many as eighteen planets.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 11, 2014, 11:11:36 am »

Actually, it takes about an hour a day to do 8 full accounts of PI. If you set it up a specific way, you can do 108 characters in 2 hours a day, but that doesn't count the 3-4 hours spent hauling on weekends. And while you could possibly do the same number of characters in hisec, your output would be a lot lower do to shit planets, also, the taxes are massive. 20% tax is actually more like 80% tax, because taxes value P0 at 5 isk and the best MIGHT be worth 4 while most are 1-3. And that's only on extraction. The value quickly rises as you do more steps. Granted you can alleviate that by doing many steps per planet, but that would be difficult in hisec.

I'd expect a hisec player with 3 characters doing PI to make perhaps 400mil a month, assuming they follow the optimal strategy. Probably the best move is to buy P1 from Jita and make Coolant although obviously in nullsec I haven't crunched the hisec numbers very hard.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: March 14, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »

Hmm... Before, I had difficulty getting into this since a monthly fee was... well, outside of my means at the time. This is no longer the case. Now, I did try out the demo of this before (and somewhat failed miserably at a bout of piracy that resulted in me being both pirated and given advice at the same time, long story) and enjoyed it. However, before I actually start paying for this wonderful game, I do have to ask... Any particular advice to give out, or extended trials so I can get a feel for this again without paying at first?

https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=1cc561a5-6177-4731-ae72-ad71870947c4&action=buddy

21 day buddy trial link.

Advice depends on your goals.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 210