Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454933 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10020 on: November 28, 2014, 02:47:14 pm »

Now that Team Fortress 2 is free to play, does that mean you can get Garry's Mod and use all the content without having to own another Source-engine game on Steam? I've wanted to play with GMod for ages but I don't own any of those shooters. It's 75% off right now. Seems like a good time to buy, but I want to make sure I can actually use it...

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: November 28, 2014, 02:58:11 pm »

Now that Team Fortress 2 is free to play, does that mean you can get Garry's Mod and use all the content without having to own another Source-engine game on Steam? I've wanted to play with GMod for ages but I don't own any of those shooters. It's 75% off right now. Seems like a good time to buy, but I want to make sure I can actually use it...

I think so, but I'm not sure.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: November 28, 2014, 03:12:55 pm »

Last time I checked, you need HL2 at least because it uses content from that, and TF2 doesn't include that content, and a lot of the mods and maps expect you to have CS:S as well. The consequence of lacking the content is that if it's used in a map texture, you get a placeholder texture instead, and if it's used in objects, you can't use them or interact with them at all (unless this has changed in the past couple years). I haven't played GMod in a while, though, so I don't know if anything is using TF2 content today.

It shouldn't be too expensive to acquire all of the games if you can get them all 75% off (and as you noted TF2 is free now), but GMod requires them to all be installed, which uses a ton of hard drive space, and TF2's size is continually increasing.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10023 on: November 28, 2014, 04:10:17 pm »

Ah. Yeah, in that case, I'll have to pass. I'm constantly scrounging for things I can delete because my hard drive is perpetually filling up. Add the fact that I really don't have any use for Half-Life or any of those games, and it just doesn't seem worth it. Anyway, I've still got about 200 games in my library that I haven't gotten around to playing yet, so... I'll probably survive. Thanks for the info.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: November 28, 2014, 04:14:52 pm »

Last time I checked, you need HL2 at least because it uses content from that, and TF2 doesn't include that content, and a lot of the mods and maps expect you to have CS:S as well. The consequence of lacking the content is that if it's used in a map texture, you get a placeholder texture instead, and if it's used in objects, you can't use them or interact with them at all (unless this has changed in the past couple years). I haven't played GMod in a while, though, so I don't know if anything is using TF2 content today.

It shouldn't be too expensive to acquire all of the games if you can get them all 75% off (and as you noted TF2 is free now), but GMod requires them to all be installed, which uses a ton of hard drive space, and TF2's size is continually increasing.

Not true: I installed my Gmod over Portal 1. It does have issues if you don't have CS:S, but there are player-made asset replacement packs available at workshops that rectify that issue.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10025 on: November 28, 2014, 04:23:55 pm »

What would be awesome is if they would make a note on the store page saying what it requires. There is nothing on there about any other games being required. I wonder how many people spent money on it only to find out they couldn't play it.

To be clear: I don't have any games at all using that engine. So if it won't run as a standalone game, then there's no point in me getting it.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #10026 on: November 28, 2014, 04:29:26 pm »

So, payday 2 sale. I've had the game for a while, but none of the DLC. Which are/is the best DLC pack(s)?
I've heard somewhere (maybe even on this forums, last time Payday 2 was on sale) that Hotline Miami DLC is actually pretty great. Can't comment further though, as I don't own even the base game.

Also:
Bunch of Rockstar games on sale.

Grabbed me a GTA trilogy. I could get GTA III, VC, SA and complete IV for 1€ cheaper on Steam than on GG if I'd decide to also buy GTAIV... but surprisingly, I have no desire for the fourth installment. Also, I like supporting GG (even though in this case it's basically just selling Steam keys).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:32:56 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: November 28, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »

So, payday 2 sale. I've had the game for a while, but none of the DLC. Which are/is the best DLC pack(s)?
I've heard somewhere (maybe even on this forums, last time Payday 2 was on sale) that Hotline Miami DLC is actually pretty great. Can't comment further though, as I don't own even the base game.
It is, but unless you want the masks or the ability to host it, it's not needed.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: November 28, 2014, 05:17:25 pm »

Anyone have an impression of Starpoint Gemini 2? I can't tell if it's a flight sim or an RPG or a strategy or what.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: November 28, 2014, 05:33:53 pm »

Anyone have an impression of Starpoint Gemini 2? I can't tell if it's a flight sim or an RPG or a strategy or what.

Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144247.msg5695326#msg5695326

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: November 28, 2014, 06:48:40 pm »

I got the payday 2 addons (finally) and the new toys are fun, especially mallcrasher with the new nade-laucher or a fancy maschinegun, nothing crazy, but good fun for the buck you'll pay during the sale.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: November 28, 2014, 07:11:02 pm »

It is, but unless you want the masks or the ability to host it, it's not needed.

It's got some guns too, notably the uzi which is arguably the best smg in the game right now (some people say pratchett from historical pack is better, I'm undecided).

Baseball bat weapon is also pretty good, but everyone who joins the community group gets the disappointment bat which is basically the same thing.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: November 28, 2014, 09:01:55 pm »

Hm... I'm looking at possibly getting some DLC for EU4. Though it's disappointing that Art of War doesn't have a discount. There's so many packs though that I'm not sure which have gameplay elements. The visual/music packs don't matter much to me. If someone can help me sift through this stuff that'd be pretty sweet.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: November 28, 2014, 09:12:41 pm »

Hm... I'm looking at possibly getting some DLC for EU4. Though it's disappointing that Art of War doesn't have a discount. There's so many packs though that I'm not sure which have gameplay elements. The visual/music packs don't matter much to me. If someone can help me sift through this stuff that'd be pretty sweet.

Stuff I have which affects gameplay is Conquest of Paradise, Res Publica and Wealth of Nations. American Dream adds events for the US and Songs of Yuletide is completely cosmetic but free.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: November 28, 2014, 09:27:42 pm »

Skipping Conquest of Paradise is a decent bet. Everything it adds is rather gimmicky and broken. The random new world generator creates nothing but pure eye cancer. It sucks that the "support independence" mechanic is locked behind that DLC though.

Wealth of Nations is the second best DLC (after Art of War). Although trade companies are stupidly powerful and really changes the dynamic of the game.

Res Publica is the third best mostly due to national focus and the Merchant Republic improvements (although MRs aren't as good as they were pre-AoW). The Polish elective monarchy system is a complete mess but who would want to play as Poland anyway.

American Dream is pretty meh. You'll likely never see the events since an English created thirteen colonies is pretty rare. It's usually the filthy disgusting overpowered scum Iberians who colonise most of North America first (yes they still haven't fixed the colonial AI ::)).

The cosmetic stuff, while optional, is of pretty good quality. Paradox South really went all out with the unit sprites. The Indian and new Protestant/Catholic League sprites are gorgeous.
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1134