Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454057 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9750 on: October 31, 2014, 05:06:11 pm »

I've also heard that people who started with F1 tend to enjoy NV more, and people who were first introduced to the series with 3 don't like NV.

I think this sizes it up.  I'd heard about this phenomenon, but never actually seen it play out before.  It is a little fascinating.

My opinion on which is the better game is fairly strong, but I understand that the cultural expectations of the people that grew up with this other kind of gaming are just fundamentally different from my own.

I just never really understood how that difference could manifest until now.  I'm still fuzzy on the causes of it, but c'est la vie.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: October 31, 2014, 05:12:35 pm »

Also New Vegas's layout sucks in comparison to New Reno's.
So many pointless loading screens.

The comparison is between NV and 3...

Either way, D.C ruins has way more pointless loading screens than NV. Also the arbitrary piles of rubble.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: October 31, 2014, 05:13:29 pm »

I liked FO3 more than NV, but I've never been sure if that is because I played FO3 so many times I might have been slightly sick of the whole genre by the time I got to NV.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: October 31, 2014, 05:16:33 pm »

Just to clarify: New Vegas had invisible walls in some really weird places, I think mostly so that you couldn't walk over mountaintops or something, but those were just annoying and don't close up places.

Fallout 3 had invisible walls on rubble so that the player could be railroaded into Awesome Metro Stations.
72% of all story missions could be summed as: reach this place, but it's closed off by rubble so you have to go thru this Metro Station(TM)!

Also the "way more mods" argument may have been true over 3 years ago but right now I doubt it.

EDIT: In fact, Nexus shows 458 pages of mods for FNV versus 429 pages of mods for FO3.

EDIT2: New Reno had something like 5 separate areas with loading screens. Obviously the maps load faster.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:19:45 pm by Sergius »

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: October 31, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »

Also New Vegas's layout sucks in comparison to New Reno's.
So many pointless loading screens.

The comparison is between NV and 3...

Either way, D.C ruins has way more pointless loading screens than NV. Also the arbitrary piles of rubble.
I can agree it has more pointless (well, yes and no) loading screens than New Vegas the game in general, though specifically New Vegas as in the location has so many loading screens to navigate through that I get sick of playing (again) just getting from one end to the other.

And what? I'm not allowed to compare it to other games in the series despite others doing just that? :T

Though this is a never ending debate. I'll step out now so as to not clog the thread more.

Oh, but yes, if you're going no DLC then go new Vegas.
Without Broken Steel the ending to 3 is bleh.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:22:56 pm by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: October 31, 2014, 05:48:20 pm »

I'll be blunt: FO3's garbage. The plot is a mish-mash of 1 and 2 mixed with a load-of-BS pubescent empowerment fantasy that makes zero rational sense. Since you've played 1 and 2, I can tell you 3 is basically "you leave the vault and go find the water-chip analogue but ENCLAVE are bad and nazi-esque!". 3's worldbuilding is amateurish at best and they railroad you into one plot while making the Brotherhood of Steel into GI Joe boyscouts that wanna fight "Supermutants" orcs that look like emaciated supermutants wearing glossy body paint.

Vegas was made by the people who actually made the first games, and picks up a little down the line. You see what's happened to the NCR after Tandi stepped down, and if you dig enough you can tell what happened between them and the oil rig remnants. Old faces show up. There are 4 endings based on the paths you took, each with interesting moral and philosophical implications. The writing is just plain *better* and no one feels like a cartoon.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: October 31, 2014, 09:41:56 pm »

i've played every fallout made except the van buren tech demo.

i think new vegas just edges over 3, though 3 is also a great game.
if you can get new vegas with all the dlc, it's even better (adds about 20 hours of content).

nv also hearkens back with some ambient sounds you'll remember from earlier fallout games, and maybe meet an old friend.  so nv is a definite choice if you have played and loved earlier fallout games, especially f2.

if not, both are winners, but i still like the setting of nv over cw.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: October 31, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »

This thread is getting a bit FO fanwank. Could we get back to saving me money please?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: October 31, 2014, 10:12:54 pm »

I played through FO3 and all the expansions/DLC, and New Vegas (without DLC, because I bought it and played through it before they had released any), and never really got very far in the first two fallouts, but I liked New Vegas much more than FO3.

There was a lot more freedom to affect what happens in New Vegas, the characters are better, the game is more balanced. About the balance, in FO3 you can min-max your stats in character creation, getting 10 endurance, 10 strength, 9 or 10 intelligence, at the cost of reducing some other attributes you didn't need, like, say, anything used for ranged attacks. Then you just shrug off any attacks your enemies make and punch (or melee) everything to death. If you try to do this in New Vegas, 10 endurance isn't god-mode anymore (and the deathclaws instakill if they catch you - the only safe way to fight them is from very, very, very far away with a sniper rifle or similar while crouched). The deathclaws in FO3 are pansies who you can kill in melee combat (even if you don't include the first one you meet, who was wounded).

The other folks mentioned plot stuff, and I definitely agree that what you get in New Vegas is a whole lot better, and a whole lot more malleable (and you get meaningful choices that determine, basically, who ends up winning the ongoing war and so forth, and there is an alternative to supporting any of the existing factions).

In Skyrim, I decided I wanted to assassinate Ulfric. I walked up to him and attacked him, and knocked him down, and discovered he was unkillable. It was pretty disappointing.

In FO3, I talked a computer into self-destructing using my spectacularly high charisma stat and speech skill, which were so high that the game had conversation options for people that basically amounted to jedi mind tricks, which I was able to use successfully (on the first try). I'm not sure that's very sensible, though. Also, it wasn't possible to find said computer until the plot dictated that you were to be there. Rather than making it immortal, Bethesda just made it unreachable. I remember a few who weren't immortal, but the folks in the game behaved in a nonsensical way when I metagamed - for instance, there's a sunglasses-wearing guy in the first town who wants you to blow up the town. I walked into the bar he's in and gunned him down with a fully automatic SMG to the face, then stole his sunglasses (because that makes sense). As far as I remember, the bar patrons didn't react, didn't care about the gunfire, or that I had just killed him in cold blood, and they couldn't have known who I was because I had just arrived and nobody had heard of me because I had just gotten out of the Vault and this town was my first stop.

In New Vegas, I decided I wanted to assassinate Caesar. It was actually possible, and afterwards the people in the game remarked about Caesar's death, etc. [Edit: Apparently people don't want to know how much it affects the game?]

New Vegas also has a system where you can disguise yourself as a member of a faction by wearing their armor - something that's missing from both FO3 and Skyrim. Your actions and what quests you do affect how each faction views you and how friendly or hostile they are, which is one reason why you might want a disguise (to scout out a place where you're hated, etc).

Sales:
http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_halloween_horrors_311014
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/halloween
http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/active-discounts.html?limit=all
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/featured-deals
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:25:46 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: October 31, 2014, 10:16:22 pm »

This thread is getting a bit FO fanwank. Could we get back to saving me money please?

Also, EUIV Conquest of Paradise and Wealth of Nations are on sale in the Humble Bundle store thing. Also Rajas of India for CKII.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:19:56 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9760 on: November 01, 2014, 01:46:59 am »

OK, I've decided for NV. Made by the same team as 1 and 2, nostalgia points, apparently better story, less combat focus, all wins me over.

But man, Shadowlord: SPOILERS? Maybe throw a spoiler tag on all that? I accidentally read the plot to F3 before realizing I'd better stop before you spoil NV as well. Remember, I was asking about these games because I *haven't played them*, not because I was asking for a detailed plot analysis...

Thanks everyone for the input, sorry if it derailed the thread at all. Both games *are* on sale, so I'm going to go save some money on New Vegas now. Although I actually don't think I ever completed 2... I should go back and do that before starting NV... So it might sit in my library for a while. : / But hey, 75% off! Yaaayyyyy!

I also grabbed the Humble Halloween Bundle at the $1 level, so I have a spare key for Home now. I got the Groupees one as well, so there will be some more spare keys... I may do another giveaway soon!

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: November 01, 2014, 06:01:35 am »

I got that Home key redeemed on my account even though I already owned Home from another bundle (I guess). This was weird, because I always try to redeem the games, just in case I forgot that I own it already.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: November 01, 2014, 10:25:01 am »

I deleted the spoilery FO3 bit. (I don't think my mentioning talking a supercomputer into suicide is spoilery - it doesn't tell you anything except "If I meet a supercomputer at some point I could possibly talk it into killing itself" and "I might meet a supercomputer")
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9763 on: November 01, 2014, 11:47:40 am »

Uuhhhh, sales, right? Well, GamersGate still has it's Halloween Deals, new ones every 48 hours. Worth checking out, yo.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: November 01, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »

anyone with XCOM EU on steam now has free access to the Evolve beta
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:25:06 pm by TripJack »
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1134