Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454069 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9735 on: October 31, 2014, 03:08:03 pm »

I played the hell out of Fallout 1 and 2 years ago when I bought them for $10 in a dual jewel case at Walmart. Now I see that New Vegas and 3 are both on sale for the same price, and I'm sorely tempted to grab one of them. I know I have way too many games and I never get to play them, but... It's FALLOUT.

But I'm definitely not going to buy both of them. So... Which one is better?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: October 31, 2014, 03:13:06 pm »

Vegas.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: October 31, 2014, 03:14:50 pm »

Vegas.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9738 on: October 31, 2014, 03:16:26 pm »

From what I've heard, they're both great, but in different ways. I like open world (3 is apparently better here) but I'm not so into combat (NV is apparently better here). I don't know what to choose! Any other input to help me decide? I suppose I have a few days...

I also suppose I'd better spend a few hours playing through a little of my backlog, so I can at least justify *some* of the purchases..... How in the holy hell did I end up with 217 games.......

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: October 31, 2014, 03:17:09 pm »

Fallout 3 was several times better then Vegas.

Vegas was like a big expansion pack.

Wasn't made by Bethesda either.

Riddled with bugs.

Subpar mods compared to FO3.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: October 31, 2014, 03:27:35 pm »

Riddled with bugs.

I have to agree with this.
The DLC for 3 was also a lot better; The only one that was remotely interesting for NV was Old World Blues.

Plus Three Dog is best radio guy.
Take a closer look at this text!

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: October 31, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »

if you want a story that makes sense and characters that aren't 5 iq points shy of outwitting the common potato, new vegas is the only choice
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:33:48 pm by TripJack »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:55 pm »

Riddled with bugs.

I have to agree with this.
The DLC for 3 was also a lot better; The only one that was remotely interesting for NV was Old World Blues.

Plus Three Dog is best radio guy.

if you want a story that makes sense and characters that aren't 5 iq points shy of outwitting the common potato, new vegas is the only choice

Wow this is a little mind blowing.  Wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

Which roughly translates to:  When you gaze long into the Generation Gap, the Generation Gap also gazes into you.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: October 31, 2014, 04:06:20 pm »

From what I've heard, they're both great, but in different ways. I like open world (3 is apparently better here) but I'm not so into combat (NV is apparently better here). I don't know what to choose! Any other input to help me decide? I suppose I have a few days...

FO3 takes place in Washington, DC, far away from the setting of the previous games. Yet it still shoehorns in all of the main villains/monsters/factions/what-have-you into the game, in a way that doesn't feel very natural. Which is not to say that FO3 is terrible, but NV feels like a more natural progression of the Fallout series, and actually does some new things with the setting while including the old standbys. Since you've played the first two games, you'll probably appreciate New Vegas more than Fallout 3.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: October 31, 2014, 04:07:02 pm »

New Vegas was better once I figured out how to survive.  The wasteland being dangerous isn't a bad thing, just distracting.  And the moral choices were *far* more interesting than those in FO3, which are typical "be generous or be psychotic".  I don't remember caring about any of the factions in FO3, which was disappointing.  New Vegas still has some cartoonishly evil guys, though actually they're not very cartoony...  Really kinda disturbing in fact.

I really enjoyed being an overpowered tourist in apocalyptic DC, but it didn't give me feels like NV did.  I suggest playing NV and turning down the difficulty, because the first time I played I got slaughtered repeatedly by cosplayers whose bare faces weren't penetrated by my bullets.  Thanks to the new "damage threshold" system.  The 9mm pistol apparently shoots BBs or something, meh.  The hunting rifle does okay and then the first real point of interest has a decent assault rifle, I think as a quest reward for killing ants even.

I miss 3-dog though ):

Edit: The *first* time I played I saw the lights of New Vegas on the northern horizon and ignored everyone's advice to take the south road.  "It's right there, how dangerous could a little shortcut be?"  That death was more entertaining than frustrating though, heh.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:10:42 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: October 31, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »

Wasn't made by Bethesda either.

Riddled with bugs.

'Wasn't made by Bethesda' is far from a compliment when the ones who actually made it are the actual developers of the first two and the cancelled third one (or rather, those who managed to regroup after the company who made FOs 1 and 2 fell).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9746 on: October 31, 2014, 04:36:02 pm »

Oh, dear, I seem to have stepped into one of those neverending debates, like whether fonts should have serifs or not. Anyway, it's sounding like NV will be the one for me. I did love the original games (in fact, if I can ever find the time, I'm considering playing them again), and I keep hearing that 3 is very combat-heavy. I've also heard that people who started with F1 tend to enjoy NV more, and people who were first introduced to the series with 3 don't like NV.

Also, a friend of mine who plays both F3 and Skyrim expressed frustration at the differences in the controls, and he often makes the mistake of pressing the wrong button at critical moments. Maybe I should keep Skyrim as my go-to Bethesda game, and go for what sounds like the more "old school Fallout" feel of NV.

By the way, I don't do DLC. I don't have nearly enough to even install and try out 75% of the games I buy, let alone expand on them. Two jobs and a Youtube series. Not a lot of spare time for games. Makes me *almost* miss being a teenager sometimes. Almost.

Anyway, I'll think it over. I appreciate all the input, and I welcome more. Just... don't fight, ok guys? <3

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: October 31, 2014, 04:49:49 pm »

I also suppose I'd better spend a few hours playing through a little of my backlog, so I can at least justify *some* of the purchases..... How in the holy hell did I end up with 217 games.......

Fallout 3 has invisible walls everywhere.
Fallout NV doesn't. So it's actually more open.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:00:50 pm by Sergius »

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: October 31, 2014, 04:52:23 pm »

Fallout 3 has invisible walls everywhere.
Fallout NV doesn't. So it's actually more open.

I believe you have that backwards, mate.
The walls in 3 tend to be quite visible.
New Vegas, on the other hand.... Not so much.

Also New Vegas's layout sucks in comparison to New Reno's.
So many pointless loading screens.

Edit: Wait, you're talking about the invisible walls behind the giant rubble stacks, aren't you?
I suppose those are annoying.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:54:49 pm by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: October 31, 2014, 05:01:47 pm »

What
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1134