Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454064 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9780 on: November 03, 2014, 11:49:00 am »

Launch Arco FTW

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9781 on: November 03, 2014, 01:22:12 pm »

The better SimCity is on sale at GOG.

Oooohhhh, very tempting.

The last SimCity (and only one, tbh) I played was 2000 (Network Edition, even). I never got very far into it, didn't quite get it how to build an efficient city (had no real manual as it came in some multy-game pack) and that roads guy kept yelling at me. But I had fun. So could Sergius, umiman or just anyone give me an honest answer/opinion - SC2000 vs. SM4?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: November 03, 2014, 01:46:58 pm »

I wish SimCity 2000 Network Edition worked on modern OSes...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: November 03, 2014, 02:01:44 pm »

Oooohhhh, very tempting.

The last SimCity (and only one, tbh) I played was 2000 (Network Edition, even). I never got very far into it, didn't quite get it how to build an efficient city (had no real manual as it came in some multy-game pack) and that roads guy kept yelling at me. But I had fun. So could Sergius, umiman or just anyone give me an honest answer/opinion - SC2000 vs. SM4?

SC4 Deluxe with Network Addon Mod has robust traffic simulation. It's quite good and adds more transit options and road interactions. The real comparison I always hear about in relation to 2000 is 3000. 3000 is supposedly a better 2000, depending on who you ask. I went from 2000 to 4 so I don't know much about 3000.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: November 03, 2014, 08:14:06 pm »

Oooohhhh, very tempting.

SC4 Deluxe with Network Addon Mod has robust traffic simulation. It's quite good and adds more transit options and road interactions. The real comparison I always hear about in relation to 2000 is 3000. 3000 is supposedly a better 2000, depending on who you ask. I went from 2000 to 4 so I don't know much about 3000.
i remember 3000 and I can say it was pretty much like 2000. They didn't anything crazy with features other than 3D. I learned it in class so i really enjoyed it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: November 03, 2014, 08:57:56 pm »

Oooohhhh, very tempting.

2000 doesn't really work with modern OSes so it's kinda out of the picture. I much preferred it to the others though. I liked 4 for the world building more than the actual city building. All the terraforming stuff was awesome when you just sculpt the land.

The reason I like 2000 more is because it had more stuff and to me, it had more personality. Also, the 2D images were in my eyes a lot nicer than the somewhat drab 3D models. Then there were more disasters, more space, more population, etc. I also liked the order than the strict grids imposed as it made things easier to plan than the 3D areas of 4. On the other hand, 4 has multiple interconnected cities that you can link up (though afaik it doesn't really work properly) and nicer graphics.

Not to say 4 is a bad game. It's actually quite good. But I liked 2000 more.

Some other older sim games I really love are: Sim Park, Sim Ant, Sim Life, and motherfucking Sim Farm!!!!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: November 03, 2014, 09:07:18 pm »

Freaking sim ant. I beat that. Once.

Score said something about Elvis?

Simearth was also nice. Don't think I ever got the chance to try farm...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: November 03, 2014, 09:53:22 pm »

I need to package up Simearth for some of my nieces and nephews.  Trichordates!  Secretly educational!  James Lovelock!  The Gaia Hypothesis!  Trichordates in spaceships!  Terraforming Mars!  Not terraforming Venus because Venus is horrible!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Too bad the interface is Windows 3.1-level, and a lot of the mechanics probably need explanation or middle-school-level ecology...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: November 03, 2014, 10:09:19 pm »

Oh yeah, SimEarth was fun too. I never understood how to play that game though.

SimTower was really good as well.

I know all these games because when I was a wee lad, my dad bought a new computer and he bought this Sim compilation. It had all the Sim games (except the Sims. I don't think it was out yet at that time.) I played them all and barely understood how they worked. Sim Park was really easy as a kid. Sim Town as well. Sim Tower was okay. The rest were pretty brutal, though still fun.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: November 03, 2014, 10:12:39 pm »

I loved SimEarth, SimLife, and SimAnt.  I had a collection of all three as a child, and being young and without a game manual, I never really figured them all out very well, but I nonetheless had great fun with them all.  SimTower was probably my favorite of the Sim games from that period outside of SimCity that I actually played (never had SimPark or SimTown), but that said, I'm still waiting for SimMars, myself.  Fell in love with the demo video, but it never came out, like Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury. 

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: November 03, 2014, 10:28:27 pm »

Freaking sim ant. I beat that. Once.

Score said something about Elvis?

Simearth was also nice. Don't think I ever got the chance to try farm...

I had SimFarm! I always tried to make pig farms... ranches? Whatever it's called. I don't think they were ever profitable. The crop dusting plane was always out of reach.

On the topic of sales, that shark game is tempting me, somehow

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: November 03, 2014, 10:47:28 pm »

SimAnt was pretty great.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: November 04, 2014, 12:22:56 am »

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is on sale on Steam for under a buck.  Silly story, but a pretty fun little game.  Under rated, I think.  Sort of a 3rd person Carrier Command clone.

Also, it looks like all of the Men of War games are on sale.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: November 04, 2014, 12:35:18 am »

Never forget the commando ant. Single handedly digging a hidden entrance into red nest and wrestling the queen down.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: November 04, 2014, 07:14:59 am »

Steam sale. For the next 4 hours Crusader Kings2, Hearts of Iron III, Victoria II, EUIV bundle for 25$.
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1134