Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454840 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #9030 on: June 30, 2014, 05:47:01 pm »

I thought it was a fine sale! The cynicism comes with being a long-time Steam user who has enough games to pad a playlist a long, long way.

I would say the problem is the largely insignificant percentages taken off for most of the games, due to a focus on sorta-kinda-newish AAA titles that were already really expensive and just get dropped down to still expensive.

20% is not a jaw-dropping deal, and neither is 50%. My guess would be that a handful of years back Valve realized people would pay regardless and stopped doling out those famously amazing sales that made them popular in the first place, and thus we haven't had them since roughly 2011.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9031 on: July 01, 2014, 02:26:20 am »

I also thought the sale was great, if anything it was BETTER then before - saw a lot of 80%'s and even a few 90%'s. I picked up 3 newish "AAA" games, 3 indie games, and a bunch of DLCs for ~$30 so I'm completely satisfied.

it just feels like they used to be better because.'

1. When steam started doing sales, nobody had ever had anything like that. 75% off tons of stuff at once? games for less then $5? it was unheard of. Now we are used to it, and even expect it, so it feels less amazing.

2. People already bought most of the games they want. So mostly what they are looking forward to is new games, and new games tend to be discounted less so it feels worse.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9032 on: July 01, 2014, 02:43:11 am »

I got Skyrim for crazy cheap. Plus some much-needed modern tilesets for RPGMaker and a few smaller games I've had my eye on for a while. And I finally got The Walking Dead! No complaints from me about this sale.

I agree, it seemed better before because there were so many games we wanted at huge discounts. I, for one, now have almost every game in the world I want. I see lots of amazing deals, but I either have those games already or don't want them. The bundle web sites have changed things a lot as well. I think everyone knows by now that I have a pretty serious bundle buying problem! I've gotten so many games from bundles that it's no longer exciting to see a good game at a few dollars, when I so often get a whole pack of sweet games for $1. And a lot of the games with really good Steam discounts are also games that have been in bundles before, so the price no longer looks as sweet as it once would have.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: July 01, 2014, 02:45:11 am »

I got 23 new games for less than I bought my last game (Watch Dogs) for. Can't complain either.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: July 01, 2014, 03:08:59 am »

I got 5 games. It took all the money I had. All I had was $20 though, it was worth it (Though unfortunately Just Cause 2 won't run at higher than 10 FPS.)
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: July 01, 2014, 03:26:58 am »

I didn't pick up any new titles, but I picked up a bunch of old ones at great price, including an item off my wishlist, so I'm not really complaining either.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: July 01, 2014, 03:32:03 am »

I got games I probably don't have time to play.

As well as games I will have time to play.

Not complaining, either way :p
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9037 on: July 01, 2014, 04:33:19 am »

Does anyone on here have the Steam username Nightmare? I just got a friend invite but I have no idea who this is and we have no friends in common...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #9038 on: July 01, 2014, 09:17:18 am »

I'm sort of tempted to chalking it up to being a girl on the internet ;) My wife gets those all the time on Steam, Facebook, etc etc...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: July 01, 2014, 09:42:29 am »

Being a girld over the internet most defintely. I only met 4 and 2 of them turned out to be MtF TGs.
The interner seems to be full of those... not that i'm not friends with those 2 TGs but "gurls" are a rare find that spikes the interest of most males... probably even gay ones as well.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: July 01, 2014, 10:00:44 am »

Uh... I've gotten random invites from people too. It could just be spam, you know.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: July 01, 2014, 10:55:27 am »

Uh... I've gotten random invites from people too. It could just be spam, you know.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #9042 on: July 01, 2014, 11:00:28 am »

I dunno, I don't think I recall getting a friend request that wasn't from someone I was playing a game with. Either way, I'm hoping it's just spam :)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: July 01, 2014, 12:49:11 pm »

I have multiple people whom I don't know in my Steam list. I have tagged them as "need to ask who this is", "who is this?", "no idea who this is", "random dude?", "and this is...?".

There's also "Random B12" and "presumably forum dude".

I kinda feel bad about the last two :v

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: July 01, 2014, 01:04:05 pm »

I have precisely two friends, one from here, and one from another forum.  I've never gotten a random friend request, either...I'm not sure if I should be upset or pleased by that. ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1134