Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459747 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1080 on: October 15, 2011, 05:53:44 pm »

I didn't like DoW series too much, after playing it for a while I found that you could equate the maps to pieces of paper with lines drawn on it for boundaries and maybe some sort of colored circles for a defense bonus.

A real RTS needs height advantage and bullets that can't travel through 300 feet of solid concrete/metal/rock/dirt

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 15, 2011, 06:02:59 pm »

If you want the best, purest RTS experience, get Dawn of War 1 or Dark Crusade.

If you want the most advanced RTS with, as was said, the most "bells and whistles" Dawn of War 2. The SP campaign is basically a lite-RPG, which sets it completely apart from DoW 1. On the other hand, I found the actual battle portion of DoW 2 much less fun than DoW 1. Way fewer units, and a sort of "hack and slash" mentality. I could write pages on what I think is wrong with DoW 2, but I'll just say it can be fun if you're not expecting a classic RTS experience. It also has a meta campaign that you can play through DoW 2 into Chaos Rising.

Just can't get over how boring and repetitive the SP missions actually are.

Agreed on the "fun if you're not expecting a classic RTS experience" thing, for certain. DoWII is built off the same engine as Company of Heroes, if I'm not mistaken, and as such it plays nothing like a classic RTS. Heck, in the first two single-player campaigns there wasn't any resource gathering or unit/base building, period (and there basically wasn't any in Retribution, either). Rather, it focuses on small-scale, squad-based combat, focusing on use of cover and suppression to control damage and mobility.

Online play continues the CoH tradition of controlling territory (via control points) to gain resources, and while you now get to build units there's still no base building.

So, yeah, I should probably confess that DoWII arguably isn't an RTS at all - it's more of an RTT, a Real-Time Tactics game. Or something.  ;D

A real RTS needs height advantage and bullets that can't travel through 300 feet of solid concrete/metal/rock/dirt

Now THAT is classic RTS material, right there.  :P

I'd like to point out that DoWII has both height advantage and bullet-obstructing terrain, along with flat-out destructible terrain (which matters a lot when said terrain provides valuable cover!).

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 15, 2011, 06:15:18 pm »

Tomb Raider...yea or nay, Bay12?

KG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 15, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »

So, yeah, I should probably confess that DoWII arguably isn't an RTS at all - it's more of an RTT, a Real-Time Tactics game. Or something.  ;D

Personally, I've always hated that term, something fans of DoW 2 immediately coined when DoW 2 turned out to be nothing like DoW 1 OR CoH.

I'm a big, big fan of CoH (see sig). DoW 2 is built on the Essence 2.0 engine, CoH was built on Essence 1.5 iirc. Even CoH plays in a more familiar RTS vein than DoW 2 (and does terrain destruction about 5x better.)

Compared to the way DoW 1 played, and the overall depth of the engine in CoH....DoW 2 was just a massive disappointment to me in so many ways.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:43:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 15, 2011, 07:01:29 pm »

KG
Depends, do you like Super Meat Boy? If so, then get the original series or Anniversary. If you want a casual adventure game branded as Tomb Raider, yeah go for Legend.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 15, 2011, 09:37:28 pm »

KG
Depends, do you like Super Meat Boy? If so, then get the original series or Anniversary. If you want a casual adventure game branded as Tomb Raider, yeah go for Legend.

Sadly, I have not tried Super Meat Boy.  I have tried Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and liked it well enough...does that compare well?

KG

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:10 pm »

Let me rephrase the question for you then :)

Depends, do you like repeatedly falling to your death because of the slightest error in judgement? If so, then get the original series or Anniversary. If you want a casual adventure game branded as Tomb Raider, yeah go for Legend.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 15, 2011, 10:32:18 pm »

Depends, do you like repeatedly falling to your death/being impaled/being eaten alive by (beetles, tigers, T-Rex, take your pick)/being transmuted into gold because of the slightest error in judgement? If so, then get the original series or Anniversary. If you want a casual adventure game branded as Tomb Raider, yeah go for Legend.
Fixed that for you. Hehe.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 16, 2011, 01:12:40 am »

Depends, do you like repeatedly falling to your death because of the slightest error in judgement? If so, then get the original series or Anniversary. If you want a casual adventure game branded as Tomb Raider, yeah go for Legend.

Fair enough.  XD   Might give it a try then; thanks for the input, lordcooper and Peewee!

KG

stoney834

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 21, 2011, 08:23:53 am »

This weekend the complete GTA pack is only £5.  Anyone know how good the PC ports were?  I seem to remember GTA4 being heavily criticized on release, but I'm not certain about that. 

Also the first 2 GTA games have already been released for free at gta classics http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/ so you might not want to buy it if you're only after those two games.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 21, 2011, 09:05:25 am »

Anyone know how good the PC ports were?  I seem to remember GTA4 being heavily criticized on release, but I'm not certain about that. 

I've heard bad things about 4, but all of the previous games will run on pretty much anything on the market now. My old laptop has the same specs as modern netbooks and it can run all of them just fine.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 21, 2011, 01:41:41 pm »

4 ran fine on my machine (after I got the legit version, hehe) using the mid-low settings. It's terribly optimized, so you probably can't run it on max settings.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 21, 2011, 03:25:39 pm »

I played 4 on two different computers, one is 4 years old, the other one is more recent and both have been able to play it on max.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 21, 2011, 03:31:53 pm »

4 runs great on a wide variety of nVidia cards, and hit or miss on ATI
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 21, 2011, 10:13:48 pm »

Cargo! - The Quest for Gravity is 66% off at present.  It's an utterly bizarre game by the makers of Pathologic and The Void which involves you running around and kicking little creepy people-things up the arse.  They find it fun.  Also, you get to design loads of cool vehicles and stuff :)

Highly recommended, if only for the complete craziness of it.

Here's a Total Biscuit video of it.  It's probably worth mentioning that he manages to break the game without realising it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:42:59 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 1134