Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70083 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #645 on: March 18, 2011, 11:05:32 am »

Hmm they might start burying the reactors soon.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #646 on: March 18, 2011, 11:38:48 am »

I wonder what the ultimate use of the region may be.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 18, 2011, 11:40:16 am »

I wonder what the ultimate use of the region may be.
Literally, near nil, there are very few spots where they farm but thats it.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 18, 2011, 03:28:49 pm »

Since it's proven essentially impossible to steer this topic into more relevant areas than the plant, here's a bit of on-topic for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sakN2hSVxA

Hold it in, Nuclear Boy.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 18, 2011, 03:31:36 pm »

Its the only news coming out of Japan and its highly revelent, OH GOD NOT THAT VIDEO

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 18, 2011, 03:33:26 pm »

Japan: Even if its super serious nuclear stuff, they can still animate it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 18, 2011, 03:34:50 pm »

Japan: Even if its super serious nuclear stuff, they can still animate it.
And make it about poo.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 18, 2011, 03:37:41 pm »

Its the only news coming out of Japan and its highly revelent, OH GOD NOT THAT VIDEO
Sorry man, but that's a flat out falsehood. The only reason it's the only news coming out of Japan is it's the only thing people are talking about. I administrate a very large group of people affected by the disaster, and we have a hell of a lot more news than this.

How many people here know about Taylor Anderson, the missing american citizen? Are you even aware that the US consulate has refused to bother searching for her above a cursory look, and left it to the overworked and underslept local police to search the refugee centers and debris-filled areas for any sign? The information is there, and in the news, but because everyone is focusing on the reactor that might blow up, people who are actually in clear and present danger are being ignored.

If the lackluster search efforts allow Taylor to die trapped somewhere, I think it will be safe to blame the international community's complete disinterest in people immediately affected by the tsunami.

But by all means, go back to discussing a disaster that hasn't happened yet.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 18, 2011, 03:40:28 pm »

So i wasn't wrong still >_>

All foreign ambassadors are sticking out with their own necks right now.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 18, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »

So i wasn't wrong still >_>

All foreign ambassadors are sticking out with their own necks right now.
Explain how. Japan is willing to let them search. They are calling off the search of their own accord.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 18, 2011, 04:01:09 pm »

US state department seems to be in duck and cover nuclear scare mode. Perhaps they watch CNN.

As for the topics discussed, I understand your frustration, but it's harder to talk about what's happening to people in the tsunami-affected areas than the more technical things around the power plant. News media thinks so too apparently, even NHK world service is 70% Fukushima. I had heard of Taylor Anderson though, through NHK world, and I watch the videos and read the reports from Sendai and other towns. I don't really feel like talking about it afterwards.

I and I'm sure others too would be interested in reading what you've got to tell about what's going on in Miyagi, when you have time.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 18, 2011, 04:58:24 pm »

Well, I can tell you the basics right now before heading out for the day. Search parties are well organised, albeit very tired, and are starting to pass the point where any survivors are expected to be found. The key problem right now is in getting food and supplies to refugees, as there are high schools and other public buildings holding thousands of people inside them... they have to go somewhere. Nearly every private home is in a billet situation.

On the bright and even incredible side, electricity gas and water are all back online through most of the prefecture. Power is a bit unreliable but it's there. Cell phone nets are on and working. Most people have internet access. The major roads into tsunami affected areas started to reopen yesterday, a speed I don't think any of us could have guessed. Bridges are still out of course.

There's been a lot of good news. In Minamisanriku, many of the missing people were actually accounted for. The key news article for this was very poorly worded, so badly that we can't tell if there are 7,000 or 300 still unaccounted for. Yeah that was a fun day. We're pretty sure only 300 are left unknown, but either way is a far cry better from the >10,000 that were unaccounted for earlier.

Nearly every foreign teacher in the area has been accounted for, except for Taylor and one other, Montgomery Dickson. We think Montgomery is all right but he lives in an isolated location and it's been hard to send people out to look. Taylor we are far more worried about. The reason I am so angry about this nuclear panic is that the families of foreign survivors have begun pressuring them to come home; I spoke to one ALT whose mother would call him and just cry about radiation into the receiver interminably. He's coming back despite being nowhere near the problem and having a good enough command of Japanese that he would be extremely useful interpreting between the Japanese rescue crews and the internationals, a role that is desperately needed there right now. Other foreign aid groups, like our own Canadian disaster response team, are pulling out entirely instead of going to places like Iwate, which is hundreds of kilometers from the reactor and totally free of radiation, but still in dire straits from the tsunami.

Donations are being set up so that people can wire money directly to the prefecturally organised relief fund at:
Bank name:The 77 Bank,Ltd.
SWIFT code: BOSSJPJT
Bank branch:KenchoBranch
Address (in the prefectural hall): Honcho 3-8-1, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi-ken
Tel no.: 022-223-3454
Account No.: 206-5515581
Account name:Miyagiken Saigai Taisaku Honbu
Please add a note that the money is for the relief fund (saigai gienkin)
https://www.japansociety.org/japan_earthquake_relief_fund is also a great group.

That's the long short version. There's a lot of stuff happening, and it's a damned shame how hard it is to hear anything about it.

You can learn a lot more looking around www.erku.ca/miyagi, our wiki... and http://jpquake.wikispaces.com/Journalist+Wall+of+Shame is a depressing fun site for awful and often downright false reporting of the situation.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:02:56 pm by Erk »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 18, 2011, 05:44:32 pm »

Yeah, I've read about all those aid workers getting recalled due to twitch reflex. Even embassies are getting closed down or relocated to other cities. The media coverage seems to be shifting somewhat right now though, maybe because the power plant is a little less action filled than it was. It's odd how different it's been from country to country too. US and German media have been pretty crazy, to the point of creating runs on pharmacies for iodine pills.

I'll see about sending some money to that bank account, depends on what my bank charges for international transfers. I donated 8000 yen to the JRC fund yesterday but I plan to give more.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 18, 2011, 08:28:47 pm »

I was in Denmark at that time.
When I saw it in the news, It felt somewhat unreal, as if it was somekind of a dream sequence or something.

edited due to "wall of text"-style criticism
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:16:19 pm by Starver »

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 18, 2011, 08:31:21 pm »

If you're going to write something huge, STICK IT IN SPOILERS!!!
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 54