Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70011 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #615 on: March 17, 2011, 10:39:28 am »

Whoops, read Phmcw wrong. But I was right about the news report though, whose source I hypocritically cannot get.

Considering the state of roads and infrastructure, air dumping of water doesn't sound too bad. There could be issues with getting more firetrucks there to put out fires.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 17, 2011, 10:40:48 am »

Whoops, read Phmcw wrong. But I was right about the news report though, whose source I hypocritically cannot get.

Considering the state of roads and infrastructure, air dumping of water doesn't sound too bad. There could be issues with getting more firetrucks there to put out fires.
From what i heard on Reuters, they are carving a path fast to the reactors for firetrucks to get there.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 17, 2011, 12:29:45 pm »

The spent fuel pool is outside of the reactor but inside of the reactor building. It's highly radioactive and, without water, will take fire, emitting radioactive fumes all over the region. And, well, it already happened once, they are trying to avoid a rematch. The spent fuel pool at the reactor 5 and 6 are problematic too.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #618 on: March 17, 2011, 12:42:03 pm »

Well, Reddit is down, so there goes my source on Japan-related information.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 17, 2011, 12:59:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 17, 2011, 01:18:48 pm »

Everything I hear about the scenario makes it sound worse. I've heard experts go from stating "There's no conceivable risk" to "Well damn..." in under a week. I'm really hoping they can avoid a disaster, and barring that get everyone out of Fukushima Prefecture before things get too ugly.

Either way, I'm hoping that this provides a welcome incentive to research power sources other than nuclear energy. Solar Plants don't leak deadly matter and energy when they have problems, and we've explored the technology only to a fraction of the degree we have Nuclear Plants. I can't help but think that the power industry's endless iterations of using hot things to make steam to turn turbines is horribly inefficient and generally bad for the environment, when we should be skipping the middleman and creating electricity directly from chemical reactions utilizing a source of energy that is free, clean, and nigh-endless in supply.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:21:30 pm by Solifuge »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #621 on: March 17, 2011, 01:40:55 pm »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 17, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »

The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 17, 2011, 02:23:47 pm »

Either way, I'm hoping that this provides a welcome incentive to research power sources other than nuclear energy.
Either way, I'm hoping that this provides a welcome incentive to research other nuclear power sources.
'course, Fusion would be the headliner, but there are other kinds of Fission too. Anything's worth researching at this point, I think. Especially if it has less tendency to slowly burn rads into the atmosphere.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 17, 2011, 02:30:22 pm »

That report was thankfully wrong. Some journo mixed up micro and milli, and the report spread like wildfire. The radiation near the power plant is measured to fluctuate between 0.5-10 milliSievert/hour the last 24 hours or so.

Goddamn media, hire some mathematicians if you have problems with units.

Yet another argument for obtuse fraction-based measurement systems. News people confuse a milligram and a microgram. They never confuse a ton and an ounce. Unless they're used to metric...

Also I won't be clicking that link because frankly, I prefer to not sear my psyche with images of catastrophic tragedy. Closed casket and all. It doesn't seem respectful to watch the last moments of somebody's life like its the latest YouTube stunt.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 17, 2011, 02:38:24 pm »

Either way, I'm hoping that this provides a welcome incentive to research power sources other than nuclear energy.
Either way, I'm hoping that this provides a welcome incentive to research other nuclear power sources.
'course, Fusion would be the headliner, but there are other kinds of Fission too. Anything's worth researching at this point, I think. Especially if it has less tendency to slowly burn rads into the atmosphere.

Unless it doesn't produce deadly byproducts that we will never be rid of, in a timescale that is relevant to human life or civilization, we ought to get beyond Nuclear Fission. Fusion is a nice nuclear alternative, and I'm really excited for it... but changing the radioactive material du jour does not a safe, sensible, and sustainable form of Nuclear Fission make.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 17, 2011, 02:40:38 pm »

as i know, Cesium 137 and Strontium 90 will be the big issues. Iodine 131? Well that will eventually dissipate.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2011, 02:45:26 pm »

I think the only future for nuclear power is to focus on modernizing and rebuilding existing plants. Rather than "Let's put another dozen nuke plants around the country!", let's say "The reason for this failure was that these plants were beyond the intended lifespan and badly in need of an upgrade. The US should make its plants more secure and where possible, upgrade them to entirely new types of reactors that can't suffer the same kinds of failures."

It seems now that the greatest issue we're seeing in these plants is the waste storage. there are better reactor designs that won't produce such dangerous waste. As long as we keep these old designs, we face the same disaster, or similar ones.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 17, 2011, 04:16:32 pm »

Yet another argument for obtuse fraction-based measurement systems. News people confuse a milligram and a microgram. They never confuse a ton and an ounce. Unless they're used to metric...
So uh... if you wanted to say 0.5 millisieverts in imperial measures, how would you go about it?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54