Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70004 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #795 on: June 21, 2011, 01:26:46 am »

"These get stuck in your lungs or GI tract, and they are a constant irritant," he explained, "One cigarette doesn't get you, but over time they do. These [hot particles] can cause cancer, but you can't measure them with a Geiger counter. Clearly people in Fukushima prefecture have breathed in a large amount of these particles. Clearly the upper West Coast of the US has people being affected. That area got hit pretty heavy in April."
O_O  Now that's scary, I live in the Seattle area.  But I haven't heard a peep about radiation around here?
Ok that is overplayed, considering the huge ass buffer zone between the west coast and japan, very little radiation would make it over here, most of it would be in the ocean with some noticeable trace amounts in the air.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 21, 2011, 02:08:49 am »

It's worth noting other stuff with the guy:

Some history: http://www.state.nv.us/nucwaste/news2000/nn10410.htm
Video where he explains that "it's worse than Chernobyl": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JvuUwpq40

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 21, 2011, 03:20:50 am »

"These get stuck in your lungs or GI tract, and they are a constant irritant," he explained, "One cigarette doesn't get you, but over time they do. These [hot particles] can cause cancer, but you can't measure them with a Geiger counter. Clearly people in Fukushima prefecture have breathed in a large amount of these particles. Clearly the upper West Coast of the US has people being affected. That area got hit pretty heavy in April."
O_O  Now that's scary, I live in the Seattle area.  But I haven't heard a peep about radiation around here?
Ok that is overplayed, considering the huge ass buffer zone between the west coast and japan, very little radiation would make it over here, most of it would be in the ocean with some noticeable trace amounts in the air.

I'd go so far as to say none would survive the ocean, and so would many experts on nuclear physics. Radiation has a tendency to dissipate pretty quickly when we're talking about the grades used here and combining environmental effects.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 21, 2011, 03:43:04 am »

I'd go so far as to say none would survive the ocean, and so would many experts on nuclear physics. Radiation has a tendency to dissipate pretty quickly when we're talking about the grades used here and combining environmental effects.

I recall that they used this disaster to measure how long it takes radioactive particles to make it to the west coast. BC measured tiny amounts, but enough to (barely) register.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 21, 2011, 05:09:55 am »

Flaede's mention, just now, about radioactive particles (and anyone else I didn't see, sorry...) reminds me that just the other day the news had a "Yes, it's still around" news story about the plant's woes and again, there was absolutely no distinction made between actual radiation and isotopes that are radioactive.

Something like "...operations were stopped because of large amounts of radiation..." and "...more radiation was released than originally thought..." which sound like they should be those different two (respectively), but could mean vastly different things if they weren't.

Add to that the the most radioactive material quickly becomes less bothersome compared to a similar amount of more stable radio-isotope, and all kinds of wrong impressions might be being given.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]