Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70072 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #540 on: March 16, 2011, 09:43:31 am »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 16, 2011, 10:04:06 am »

"no info" isn't severe? Interesting.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 16, 2011, 10:04:50 am »

The spent fuel pools are probably more dangerous than the reactors at this point.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:00 am »

One question: when they speak about 400 mSievert, over which period of time is it? A second, a minute, a day?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:57 am »

Those who are interested in donating but not excited about major charities with enormous overheads, the JET (Japan English Teachers) alumni association and several other groups of former Miyagi residents are in touch with the Miyagi prefectural office and several local city halls regarding direct donation to affected cities. I believe that at this point this will be a more effective way to get money where it is needed, as the JRC has put out a public announcement saying they do not urgently need more funding.

If people are interested, I can keep information coming as we get it; I am directly involved with developing this donation system.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #545 on: March 16, 2011, 10:20:39 am »

I'm interested in that. Let us know where to go for that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 16, 2011, 10:22:03 am »

One question: when they speak about 400 mSievert, over which period of time is it? A second, a minute, a day?

I thinks it's per hour but I could be wrong.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 16, 2011, 10:23:32 am »

Conversation with nuclear experts on Reuters' live feed.

400 MiGrays per day
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:26:42 am by Tellemurius »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 16, 2011, 10:24:23 am »

EU energy chief says the situation is "out of control"

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42108345

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 16, 2011, 10:26:36 am »

I thinks it's per hour but I could be wrong.

Usually per hour. Absorbed dose from background radiation is usually mentioned as mSv/year though, causing a lot of confusion among journos trying to do basic math. Sievert is also used as a way to quantify the absorbed dose over a lifetime, which causes additional confusion.

Those who are interested in donating but not excited about major charities with enormous overheads, the JET (Japan English Teachers) alumni association and several other groups of former Miyagi residents are in touch with the Miyagi prefectural office and several local city halls regarding direct donation to affected cities. I believe that at this point this will be a more effective way to get money where it is needed, as the JRC has put out a public announcement saying they do not urgently need more funding.

If people are interested, I can keep information coming as we get it; I am directly involved with developing this donation system.

That's great! If something could be set up with Google Checkout or similar (PayPal works too, but I'm not too fond of them), that would be preferrable. Regular international bank transfer is pricey.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 16, 2011, 10:39:46 am »

Ouch, the overheads of image data when representing mere (formatted, tabled) text data.

Might have been best to link the Wiki article I just dug up that isn't exactly the same but appears to be based on the same info (and is latest, regardless of how long between that being posted and read).  And the links would have been clickable.

(c.f. 380kb of picture with... ohh, lessee, 192kb of raw HTML plus 155kb of other files (mostly images and CSS stuff, at least the latter of which is already cached on an regular Wiki user's machine), with more than just that one table in and still smaller in size overall.)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 16, 2011, 10:47:17 am »

One thing folks might have missed on that table: The spent fuel pools at #5 and #6 are starting to heat up too. Which means the entire Daiichi facility is affected now. I'd heard that they were planning to begin pumping water into those as well. There's basically too many things breaking at the same time and not enough intact infrastructure to allow them to repair them all. Exacerbated by the fact that as more things break and the radiation level rises, they have to pull people out and abandon repair attempts. The problem has achieved its own critical mass in a sense.

I'd say, 'pull out and nuke it from orbit' but obviously that would be somewhat redundant.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 16, 2011, 11:25:26 am »

I'm interested in that. Let us know where to go for that.
I'll keep you posted. Present situation is that you need a Japanese bank account to donate, but we're working around that. It'll be a little while before the city halls have the human resources available to accept help... right now the financial section of my old City Hall has people camping in it, so not a lot of paperwork is getting through.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 16, 2011, 01:28:05 pm »

Satellite photo of Fukushima I. Reactor 1 is the rightmost of the four containment buildings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 16, 2011, 02:01:32 pm »

CNBC is reporting that the workers are almost done building a power line to the plant.  This could reactivate the cooling systems there.

http://www.cnbc.com/
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54