Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70010 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #555 on: March 16, 2011, 02:02:03 pm »

from http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/03/13/some-perspective-on-the-japan-earthquake/

When the mall I was in started shaking, I at first thought it was because it was a windy day (Japanese buildings are designed to shake because the alternative is to be designed to fail catastrophically in the event of an earthquake), until I looked out the window and saw the train station.  A train pulling out of the station had hit the emergency breaks and was stopped within 20 feet — again, just someone doing what he was trained for.  A few seconds after the train stopped, after reporting his status, he would have gotten on the loudspeakers and apologized for inconvenience caused by the earthquake.  (Seriously, it’s in the manual.)

======

Another anecdote: I previously worked as a systems engineer for a large computer consultancy, primarily in making back office systems for Japanese universities.  One such system is called a portal: it lets students check on, e.g., their class schedule from their cell phones.

The first feature of the portal, printed in bold red ink and obsessively tested, was called Emergency Notification.  Basically, we were worried about you attempting to check your class schedule while there was a wall of water coming to inundate your campus, so we built in the capability to take over all pages and say, essentially, “Forget about class.  Get to shelter now.”

Many of our clients are in the general vicinity of Tokyo.  When Nagoya (again, same island but very far away) started shaking during the earthquake, here’s what happened:

1. T-0 seconds: Oh dear, we’re shaking.
   2. T+5 seconds: Where was that earthquake?
   3. T+15 seconds: The government reports that we just had a magnitude 8.8 earthquake off the coast of East Japan.  Which clients of ours are implicated?
   4. T+30 seconds: Two or three engineers in the office start saying “I’m the senior engineer responsible for X, Y, and Z universities.”
   5. T+45 seconds: “I am unable to reach X University’s emergency contact on the phone.  Retrying.”  (Phones were inundated virtually instantly.)
   6. T+60 seconds: “I am unable to reach X University’s emergency contact on the phone.  I am declaring an emergency for X University.  I am now going to follow the X University Emergency Checklist.”
   7. T+90 seconds: “I have activated emergency systems for X University remotely.  Confirm activation of emergency systems.”
   8. T+95 seconds: (second most senior engineer) “I confirm activation of emergency systems for X University.”
   9. T+120 seconds: (manager of group)  ”Confirming emergency system activations, sound off: X University.”  ”Systems activated.”  ”Confirmed systems activated.”  ”Y University.”  ”Systems activated.”  ”Confirmed systems activated.” …
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:04:18 pm by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 16, 2011, 02:31:56 pm »

It's interesting, because now in China there are official editorials praising the Japanese response in the aftermath of the quake and encouraging China to emulate some Japanese values, which is startling. It'd be a little like FOX News saying, "Y'know...Osama bin Laden *does* have some nice facial hair. Maybe we should all grow beards like that."

The main thrust of the editorials has been how the Japanese were so orderly and well-behaved, as opposed to the aftermath of the Sichuan quake, in which people just kinda went nuts (and you had price-gouging, looting and various other unsavory reactions to the chaos). It does seem very Japanese somehow for a train operator to publicly apologize for the inconvenience.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 16, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »

Yes, RedKing, I've heard no stories about looting or civil disorder.

For now, anyway.  A good chunk of Japan was wiped out and rebuilding will take a lot of time and patience.  Even if you were paranoid and had plenty of emergency supplies like food and basic medical supplies and ammunition, it could've been all washed to sea or irradiated.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 16, 2011, 02:43:16 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 16, 2011, 02:44:05 pm »

Spoiler: Second part. (click to show/hide)

Sorry for the double-post--I broke the character limit =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 16, 2011, 02:56:08 pm »

That actually has me in tears. It's beautiful to read.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 16, 2011, 02:58:49 pm »

1. T-0 seconds: Oh dear, we’re shaking.
   2. T+5 seconds: Where was that earthquake?
   3. T+15 seconds: The government reports that we just had a magnitude 8.8 earthquake off the coast of East Japan.  Which clients of ours are implicated?
   4. T+30 seconds: Two or three engineers in the office start saying “I’m the senior engineer responsible for X, Y, and Z universities.”
   5. T+45 seconds: “I am unable to reach X University’s emergency contact on the phone.  Retrying.”  (Phones were inundated virtually instantly.)
   6. T+60 seconds: “I am unable to reach X University’s emergency contact on the phone.  I am declaring an emergency for X University.  I am now going to follow the X University Emergency Checklist.”
   7. T+90 seconds: “I have activated emergency systems for X University remotely.  Confirm activation of emergency systems.”
   8. T+95 seconds: (second most senior engineer) “I confirm activation of emergency systems for X University.”
   9. T+120 seconds: (manager of group)  ”Confirming emergency system activations, sound off: X University.”  ”Systems activated.”  ”Confirmed systems activated.”  ”Y University.”  ”Systems activated.”  ”Confirmed systems activated.” …
That is so awesome that it sounds like something they would have in a sci-fi universe.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 16, 2011, 03:02:43 pm »

That actually has me in tears. It's beautiful to read.

Yeah, me too.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 16, 2011, 03:10:50 pm »

Vector, i don't care about you breaking the double post rule and i thank you for sharing that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 16, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:37:05 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 16, 2011, 03:21:59 pm »

Its things like that which break me out of self depression.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 16, 2011, 03:25:42 pm »

That was amazing.  I definitely feel like I have to say "Holy shit Japan" now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 16, 2011, 04:07:23 pm »

Those are amazing stories. I hope every other nation can learn from the Japanese how to treat each other in the face of tragedy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 16, 2011, 04:08:32 pm »

Holy shit Japan. That is awesome!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 16, 2011, 04:10:14 pm »

This is why I think Japan will come out of these disasters stronger than they were before.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54