Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70003 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #570 on: March 16, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »

It would be kind of a shame if all of this went up in flames.

Coming from me, that means something.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 16, 2011, 04:24:12 pm »

Shared this on my facebook.  Those stories deserve to be spread far and wide.  I'll just repeat what I said there.  Thanks Vector.

"... There are still good places in the world. I've always loved Japanese culture, but now I'm truly in awe. This is a thread from the Dwarf Fortress forums that's been following news of the disasters over there, and discussing nuclear politics. Sudden detour on this page into praise for the numerous stories of integrity and compassion that are apparently common in Japan right now.

There have been a lot of natural disasters around the world over the last 10 years. This is one of the worst, and ironically the first that hasn't resulted in people showing their ugliest. I've been surrounded my entire life by cynical claims that only sparse individuals have any potential for goodness, and those people are only doomed by their natures. Finally, here is proof otherwise. We are capable of so much more."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 16, 2011, 05:02:12 pm »

Updates on the reactor incident?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 16, 2011, 05:04:37 pm »

Those are extremely touching Vector. I had a crappy day but this brightened it a fair bit. It even made me gain some hope in humanity. Sharing this.

... I get the feeling that our western culture is quite barbaric compared to things like this. It's a pretty amazing work of social engineering I think.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 16, 2011, 05:15:21 pm »

CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 16, 2011, 05:15:43 pm »

For all people with "it is second Chernobyl" talk:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_due_to_the_Chernobyl_disaster:

"received fatal dose of radiation during attempt to manually lower the control rods as he looked directly to the open reactor core"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

"Shortly after the accident, firefighters arrived to try to extinguish the fires. First on the scene was a Chernobyl Power Station firefighter brigade under the command of Lieutenant Volodymyr Pravik, who died on 9 May 1986 of acute radiation sickness. They were not told how dangerously radioactive the smoke and the debris were, and may not even have known that the accident was anything more than a regular electrical fire: "We didn't know it was the reactor. No one had told us."[29]"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 16, 2011, 05:16:18 pm »

Only 4 likes? Needs moar.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 16, 2011, 05:21:36 pm »

Let's put that in perspective though. Sure, the seal didn't break, a nuclear holocaust in Japan hasn't occurred.

Yet it's going to be at least 5 years before they even get around to cleaning up the cores. Those plants are dead, and potentially toxic for the next decade or more.

Compare that to traditional energy sources. If an Earthquake and Tsunami wrecked a natural gas, coal or oil power plant, there'd be explosions. Loss of life. Some environmental damage. But the site wouldn't basically on lock down for 5 years. They could clean up and rebuild pretty quickly.

So nuclear power is "safe." But it's also looking like a massive investment that is fragile, and once it breaks, the amount of effort to restore it safely is huge. It's a great power source until something goes wrong, and then you have long-term consequences that aren't necessarily measured in global catastrophes and lives lost. I don't know if that makes it the best choice for power, given how much the Earth seems to hate us lately.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 16, 2011, 05:22:54 pm »

This is the original link if you want to share it on social networking sites

You're welcome, everyone, and I'm glad that I could brighten your days a little.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:25:50 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 16, 2011, 05:24:16 pm »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 16, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 16, 2011, 05:25:28 pm »

The real danger at this point are the exposed spent fuel pools.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2011, 05:26:18 pm »

I--wow.  I don't even know how I did that >_>

Fixed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 16, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »

I find those statements as painfully annoying as the chernobyl doomsday news articles.

What we have is one of the largest nuclear power plants in the world slowly and gradually self destructing because it lost, well, power. Nuclear power (as used with current technology anyway) isn't inherently safe, it's inherently deadly dangerous, only kept in check by a long list of safety measures. But there will always be some weakness or something "unthinkable", like all backup diesel generators failing.

I'm actually a proponent of nuclear power, but it's got a long way to go before we can call it truly safe. If you look at the list of nuclear accidents and near-accidents the 60 years reactors have been around it's actually quite staggering considering the damage potential.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 16, 2011, 05:38:20 pm »

any updates?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54