Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70008 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #585 on: March 16, 2011, 05:41:09 pm »

last heard from reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/16/us-japan-quake-idUSTRE72A0SS20110316

Guys i appreciate all the work you guys did to dig up news of japan and prove what is true and false, i also thank Vector for sharing stories that proves Japan isn't in chaos.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:18 pm »

Everyone except Japan is freaking out about Japan.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 16, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »

Everyone except Japan is freaking out about Japan.

If anything, that's kind of a big part of the problem.  Japan, as both a cultural thing and a governmental policy thing, seem to be dead-set on downplaying absolutely every critical event until they humble themselves right into a radioactive grave.  Some things are worth panicking over.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 16, 2011, 06:15:14 pm »

Which is why I've been a little....suspicious of official Japanese reports about the depth of the problem.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 16, 2011, 06:20:21 pm »

There is very much to be said, though, for not making problems worse through the typical panic and opportunistic douchebaggery.  It looks to me like everyone recognizes the scale of their problems, and is doing what they can to contribute to one another's well-being.  If stoic humility causes restraint in fully measuring up to a problem, I'd still take that over the usual tendency to make a problem worse while doing nothing constructive at all.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 16, 2011, 09:08:58 pm »

IIRC, Japanese citizens have two opinions. An external, harmonious opinion, and an internal, conflicting opinion (clearly, Gestalt psychology won't take off there). Inside, a Japanese person might hate crowding on the subway, but outside, he politely packs in while the train attendants stuff people onboard. I'm not sure where I read this, however, so don't hold me to it. But it is a uniquely powerful cultural trait for surviving things like this. Compare the stories out of Japan from those out of New Orleans, and we have a sort of cool, disciplined populace suffering the unspeakable and an emotional mob ready to lash out at anyone they can blame.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 16, 2011, 09:19:56 pm »

Consistent with the common belief that eastern cultures favor introversion while western cultures favor extroversion.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 16, 2011, 09:28:47 pm »

Being consistent with a stereotype neither makes it true nor untrue, but it does deserve scrutiny and proof.

A quick bit of google-fu reveals an article on the subject expressing a similar sentiment. http://www.japantoday.com/category/commentary/view/emotional-intelligence-%E2%80%93-a-harmonious-balance
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 16, 2011, 10:13:22 pm »

The comments under that article are more telling than the article itself.  Someone goes about describing how eastern influence leads a little girl to exercise her individual beliefs in a passive manner that allows for social harmony.  First comment denounces such behavior as weakness.  I wonder which disaster scene that commentor would fit into?

Sorry if some of my personal prejudices are leaking out (look at me apologizing for this!  weakness!!).  I'm just rather sick of this shit, for lack of a better way of putting it.  Ready to move to Japan.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 16, 2011, 10:19:57 pm »

Frankly, I prefer the disharmony where I get to have a job.  The thing about obsessive social harmony is that it doesn't leave space for outliers or innovation.

The nail that sticks up gets hammered down, and all that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 16, 2011, 10:31:09 pm »

That's taking it to an extreme... which happens.  I don't agree with that proverb.  And if you look at Japanese culture, I don't think they do, either.  The chinese, on the other hand...

I'm just sick of the prevailing attitude in my culture that disagreement means the right or even the obligation to disrupt, and whoever disrupts the hardest deserves to get their way in the end, while anyone who refuses to join the arm flapping and screaming must be weak and deserves to be tread upon.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 16, 2011, 10:45:32 pm »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:49:56 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2011, 10:48:10 pm »

Vector, not to hate on you or anything but this is a thread about Japan's current predicament not its culture.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 16, 2011, 10:49:09 pm »

Vector, not to hate on you or anything but this is a thread about Japan's current predicament not its culture.

Sorry, that was probably inappropriate.  I'll go spoiler it up.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:57 pm »

Culture debate was my fault.  I'll take it to another thread.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54