Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70007 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #600 on: March 17, 2011, 01:16:52 am »

Well just to tie it back in, it does seem the Japanese mindset is working to their advantage by collectively resisting the urgency they must all feel about the situation to remain reasonable and orderly. If there is a line for bottled water everyone will stand in it rather than mob the truck. If everyone gets one bottle of water, nobody will try to get two, regardless of circumstance, because they don't want to stand out. This national character is one of the reasons I still do not doubt Japan will recover fully from this. They have something akin to the British stiff upper lip. I suspect lives have already been saved thanks to it and perhaps others will be lost among the technicians at the plant, but in all things it is an admirable quality to see.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 17, 2011, 03:08:57 am »

I'm mostly posting to join those thanking Vector for posting those stories. Very human, very revealing, thanks Vector.

Noting what Nikov said about the British stiff upper lip; I must admit that the closest I've ever come to experiencing the kinds of things in Vector's post was during the, admittedly less catastrophic, floods here in the UK. It's good to see people pull together.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 17, 2011, 07:24:28 am »

Meanwhile in Japan "12.14pm: A Tepco official has told a press conference in Japan that radiation levels at the site soon after 9.30 am were at 3,750 millisieverts per hour, Ian Sample has just told me. "These are absolutely dangerous levels," Ian said."

I don't know where these measurement have been done but I dearly hope it's within the building. Alost 4 Sieverts an hour is a huge radiation level.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 17, 2011, 08:03:38 am »

WTF 4? Thats lethal dose now!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 17, 2011, 09:08:42 am »

That report was thankfully wrong. Some journo mixed up micro and milli, and the report spread like wildfire. The radiation near the power plant is measured to fluctuate between 0.5-10 milliSievert/hour the last 24 hours or so.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 17, 2011, 09:13:43 am »

That report was thankfully wrong. Some journo mixed up micro and milli, and the report spread like wildfire. The radiation near the power plant is measured to fluctuate between 0.5-10 milliSievert/hour the last 24 hours or so.

Goddamn media, hire some mathematicians if you have problems with units.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 17, 2011, 09:24:29 am »

Proper science wouldn't boost their ratings.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 17, 2011, 09:27:24 am »

Proper science wouldn't boost their ratings.

The media is advertisement. They say what sells.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 17, 2011, 09:38:03 am »

I don't think Japan's culture of "see no evil" worked in their favor during the time the Fukushima nuclear plant owner falsified inspection records to make it "not stand out".

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 17, 2011, 09:52:13 am »

There's a good bit of dirt and coverups around japanese nuclear power companies. It's a trait they share with their colleagues around the world though.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 17, 2011, 09:53:26 am »

Right then

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 17, 2011, 10:23:44 am »

They are dropping water by air on the building, hoping that it will somehow end in the spent fuel pool. That spell "desperation" if you ask me.

Another aftershock occurred, 5.8.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 17, 2011, 10:26:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well just to tie it back in, it does seem the Japanese mindset is working to their advantage by collectively resisting the urgency they must all feel about the situation to remain reasonable and orderly. If there is a line for bottled water everyone will stand in it rather than mob the truck. If everyone gets one bottle of water, nobody will try to get two, regardless of circumstance, because they don't want to stand out. This national character is one of the reasons I still do not doubt Japan will recover fully from this. They have something akin to the British stiff upper lip. I suspect lives have already been saved thanks to it and perhaps others will be lost among the technicians at the plant, but in all things it is an admirable quality to see.
I agree.  The usefulness of such a mindset in day to day life is perhaps debatable, but it's a very good thing to have in an emergency situation such as this one.

Not sure about "stiff upper lip", but both times I've experienced something of a crisis situation several passersby have stopped, called for assistance and offered any help they could.  I'm very greatful for it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 17, 2011, 10:27:44 am »

They are dropping water by air on the building, hoping that it will somehow end in the spent fuel pool. That spell "desperation" if you ask me.
I saw this on the news and immediately cried bullshit. I really want to see the source of this, it looks more like they are putting out building fires than dumping water onto the containment. It's a closed system, so unless the containment melted upwards inexplicably to form a hole I don't see why they would go through with this for that purpose.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 17, 2011, 10:30:25 am »

Its for the fire, i highly doubt they are dumping water into the reactor ::)
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 54