Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: am i the only one?  (Read 8716 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: am i the only one?
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2011, 08:25:47 pm »

If you don't enjoy this then you have no soul.

Even if you don't enjoy music, you can at least appreciate the amount of skill required to perfect this song. I've been learning it myself and it isn't exactly easy.
Every time someone says that I immediately assume that I'm going to hate whatever they link. But then I saw Albeniz.

You, sir, win. One of the greatest classical guitar arrangements.

I'm not saying it isn't good enough, I'm telling him he's wrong.
How could he be wrong about an opinion? Am I wrong to not enjoy Star Trek? Am I wrong to dislike heavy distortion?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2011, 08:28:54 pm »

How could he be wrong about an opinion? Am I wrong to not enjoy Star Trek? Am I wrong to dislike heavy distortion?

How am I supposed to know?

What I'm wondering is, does Scood enjoy paintings? I mean music paints a picture, and there are some people who were blinded with paintbrushes by their family. Ya get my point?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »

I can now officially put "I have no soul" on my business cards.
It's not that I don't understand the skill needed to perform something like that, I just don't get any entertainment from hearing it.

Now, this is more my thing.

And yeah Urist you are being kind of offensive.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2011, 08:32:27 pm »

You, sir, win. One of the greatest classical guitar arrangements.

It was originally a piano piece if I remember correctly.

That's the beauty (and perhaps curse) of opinions; they aren't right or wrong.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2011, 08:36:39 pm »

And how exactly could you possibly know this? Furthermore, do you realise you're acting precisely the way that he said he finds frustrating? Telling him his oppinion just isn't "good" enough, for no other reason than it being different from yours.

I'm not saying it isn't good enough, I'm telling him he's wrong.
It's the same thing.

How am I supposed to know?
You just said his opinion was wrong.

What I'm wondering is, does Scood enjoy paintings? I mean music paints a picture, and there are some people who were blinded with paintbrushes by their family. Ya get my point?
No. You're going to have to be a tad bit less vague than that.
Love, scriver~

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2011, 08:37:39 pm »

Even if you don't enjoy music, you can at least appreciate the amount of skill required to perfect this song. I've been learning it myself and it isn't exactly easy.

Although based on the fact that I enjoyed that a lot, safe to say having no soul does not imply you will hate that song.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2011, 08:38:57 pm »

Even if he was burned out on music by his family it doesn't make him wrong to not enjoy music. If "my parents were hardcore christians" is an acceptable reason for atheism then "my parents were music fanatics" is a good reason for not liking music.

It was originally a piano piece if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I think Albeniz mostly composed for the piano. I think it's more common to hear guitar arrangements these days though.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:08 pm »

Although based on the fact that I enjoyed that a lot, safe to say having no soul does not imply you will hate that song.

I'd agree. I was kidding, of course.  :D
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2011, 08:41:19 pm »

Even if he was burned out on music by his family it doesn't make him wrong to not enjoy music. If "my parents were hardcore christians" is an acceptable reason for atheism then "my parents were music fanatics" is a good reason for not liking music.

But that isn't a good reason to be an atheist. It's a immature and spiteful reason.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »

But that isn't a good reason to be an atheist. It's a immature and spiteful reason.

That doesn't make it any less valid.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2011, 08:45:25 pm »

Well, everyone is reactionary against their parents. It's a natural part of becoming an adult. We're all immature and spiteful.

I happen to think it's a good reason though. Being surrounded by something that you have no enthusiasm for, for your entire childhood, is bound to make you even less enthusiastic about it.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2011, 08:46:11 pm »

And yeah Urist you are being kind of offensive.

I only take issue with the underlined portion of this post.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2011, 08:46:42 pm »

By definition it does. I can't stop anyone but it is a stupid, invalid opinion.

I'm tired of all these "I wouldn't defend myself because that would be saying I'm better than him." arguments.

Not all opinions are valid. Deal with it. This place has gone crazy with soulless latte drinking monsters and I'm outta here.

Urist has left the building.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2011, 08:49:13 pm »

By definition it does. I can't stop anyone but it is a stupid, invalid opinion.

I'm tired of all these "I wouldn't defend myself because that would be saying I'm better than him." arguments.

Not all opinions are valid. Deal with it. This place has gone crazy with soulless latte drinking monsters and I'm outta here.

Urist has left the building.

Cool story bro.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2011, 08:51:16 pm »

So to get back on topic:

I can sympathize with the OP a bit as I used to be completely apathetic to all music. This was before I picked up the guitar for myself and found how much effort goes into playing, but everyone has a different story.

In short, you're not the only one.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11