Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: am i the only one?  (Read 8682 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: am i the only one?
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2011, 05:12:36 pm »

Do random tunes ever play in your head, even if you haven't heard them in years

Sometimes rather a lot.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2011, 09:59:10 pm »

Usually the only music I listen to is 8-bit music. Like this.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2011, 01:40:24 am »

Am I the only one that doesn't think that music is entertaining?

Not really.  I used to hate it because I was a really controlled person and couldn't stand having anything emotionally affect me.  Seriously--my parents would be playing music in the front room and I'd say "turn that off!  I hate music!"

The only reason why I started listening to music was because I was curious about Chinese Opera.  At that point, my left brain started going crazy over trying to figure out how the music was made, and nowadays I still enjoy music that is "interesting" in that way.  If you sat me down and just told me "listen to music!" I don't know how much I'd enjoy it.  Well, I probably wouldn't.  I, too, have never had anyone say "this is great music" and enjoyed it.  Most of the stuff I like I find on my own.

Despite that, I'll often listen to music while I'm doing problem sets or similar (often just the same song for 3+ hours; I once listened to one song for hours every day, month after month, when I was working on a big project).  It engages my brain enough that I can be creative.  I'll drink caffeine, go without food, or sleep an hour less than I need sometimes to get the same numbing effect.

And, a concrete example: I adore this song.  Not for its musical qualities--it's frankly very boring--but because I enjoy thinking about the German version of the French song, and it gives me a kick to hear the "stiff" interpretation in comparison to the more lively French.  Thinking about the sound of the language makes me happy, as does paying attention to the composition of the harmonies.

This has really nice lyrics, at least in French.  I can at least appreciate that.

I guess what I should say is that I do like music quite a bit now, but there's a part of my brain usually going "this is stupid and there is nothing good about this."  Sometimes I listen; sometimes I don't.  There are days when I find music a total distraction, and then there are days when I have to listen to it so that I can focus.

In any case, I can certainly sympathize with the OP.  I'm about 50-50 right-left brain on any test I take nowadays, but I used to score pretty much 100% left brain.  Maybe there's a correlation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]