Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: am i the only one?  (Read 8731 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: am i the only one?
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:29 pm »

I disagree so logically I must be ignorant? Sounds kinda ignorant if ya ask me.
I am the base measuring unit for all people! Everybody else simply differentiates from my standard! The whole world is counted in Urists!
...Oohcrap, I forgot it is. ;)
Love, scriver~

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2011, 12:43:29 pm »

I am the exact opposite, I couldn't live 1 day without music, if I can't hear it through my computer or some mp3 I start drumming on stuff and whistling. My ears DEMAND music, I feel physically not well without it. I also can't sleep without it.

Also, I don't care what I listen to in the end though I do have preferences, But I'd rather listen to crap than nothing.

Favourite musics = Danish rap, Folk music and Melodic Death Metal, preferable always progressive stuff.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2011, 12:53:11 pm »

My response to the music you linked me was "It's not terrible."

When I show people music, the response I get is almost invariably "This is godawful and hurts my ears. What is wrong with you?", so trust me, that was a significant step up!

So I can easily understand people not caring about music, like you seem to, mostly because I equate it to my not really caring about, say, the taste of or drinking of various types of soda. I mean, I don't mind drinking it now and again, but its not something I seek it, and its not particularly enjoyable.

I do think that under the right circumstances you could certainly learn to enjoy and appreciate music, just as I believe, with time, a person can learn to appreciate and enjoy ballet... but I also don't think you're really suffering from the loss, so why bother? I'm certainly not going to do so with ballet any time soon. :P

And I'm sure the die-hard stupidity of those that pass themselves off as music fans doesn't incline you in that direction anyways.

The only thing that is really strange or uncommon about it, is that a person has to be simultaneously ambivalent about Rythm, Melody, Lyrics, and a whole heap of other stuff to not really like music at all. Mostly people end up caring about at least one or two.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:55:35 pm by GlyphGryph »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »

I don't particularly like music in places like restaurants and pubs as it makes it hard for me to hear conversations or my own thoughts.  Pretty much the only time I listen to music on my own is when I'm trying to block out other noises like traffic and such.  I think that might be why I tend to like noisy and upbeat music like metal, as its good for overwhelming anything else around me.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2011, 03:52:02 pm »

Hmm, band you should like, interesting concept.

Well Scood, forgetting music, what sort of flavour do you like in your life? Do you like it spicy or sweet? Fast of relaxed? Powerful or soft? What looking at other media forms, what genera do you enjoy? Action movies or romantic flicks? What do you like?

I find the first part of this question hard to answer as it asks what kind of life would make me happy. I change my mind about this subject very frequently and have recently come to the conclusion that i just don't know for certain it is that i want in life as it stands today, maybe i will tomorrow, or the next day, or the next day after that. I could answer it but they would be meaningless guesses. As for the second part, I tend to like science fiction movies.

I mean, for me it's really weird that someone doesn't like music. Do you also drink only water? Have you eliminated the need for showering? It just seems like a needless elimination of enjoyment. I mean unless you did it for religious reasons, which I doubt, you really don't have any excuse.

Though I do wonder... for those who don't like music, do you enjoy dancing at all?

Hear, hear!

It's far from needless elimination of enjoyment when it's not all that enjoyable to begin with.

I listened because a friend asked me to, but it wasn't something I would go back and listen to again just because I felt like some music. That sums up my feelings on music in fact. I have sampled many types recommended by friends but never heard anything I liked.

Thats exactly the kind of thing I do. If I'm recommended a song I may listen to it once, maybe for the first 10 to 20 seconds and then I get bored. Usually that first 10 to 20 seconds just repeats until it reaches 3 minutes anyway. I'm not missing much. I never go back to listen to a song more than once.
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2011, 04:02:43 pm »

Thats exactly the kind of thing I do. If I'm recommended a song I may listen to it once, maybe for the first 10 to 20 seconds and then I get bored. Usually that first 10 to 20 seconds just repeats until it reaches 3 minutes anyway. I'm not missing much. I never go back to listen to a song more than once.

Heh, no.

Theres a whole subgenre of every genre called Progressive, which is the exact opposite of the highlighted, music that progresses throughout the tune.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2011, 04:15:17 pm »

I really like music, but if someone wants me to listen some of his music, even if I actually like it, I get bored very quickly. I just want to listen my own music even if it is the same band.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2011, 04:39:58 pm »

I really like music, but if someone wants me to listen some of his music, even if I actually like it, I get bored very quickly. I just want to listen my own music even if it is the same band.
But... then... how do you ever find new music? -_o?

While Forsaken's dislike/disinterest seems to be genuine disinterest in what it has to offer... I'm really getting the feeling that your dislike of music is in large part because of unfamiliarity. Considering you say you come from a family of music inclined people though, that seems hard to believe.

But while some music does repeat verbatim (rythm is generally based around patterns and repitition), and most music has repeating elements. SOMETHING usually changes over the course of the song, sometimes several times. Saying the first 10 or 20 seconds just repeats... I mean, we're not exclusively talking about dance music here, so that seems just a little bit silly.

Also, I'm actually interested in this, so I'll repeat:
For those who don't like music, do you enjoy dancing at all? Because, honestly, a lot of music is absolute crap for listening to (unless your the type of person who can dance in your own head), but great for moving to.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2011, 05:38:36 pm »

While Forsaken's dislike/disinterest seems to be genuine disinterest in what it has to offer... I'm really getting the feeling that your dislike of music is in large part because of unfamiliarity. Considering you say you come from a family of music inclined people though, that seems hard to believe.

Yes, while it may be hard to believe, it is true. My dad plays the guitar in a band. My mom sings. My sister plays a whole bunch of assorted instruments, like the clarinet the saxophone, I forgot which specific saxophone, i think it was a tenor. the piano, the flute, the trumpet.  I have a few cousins that go to some school for singing and performing arts. I also have an adopted sister, but she's tone deaf yet still wants to sing.

My whole life music has been around me but i never took an interest in it.

As for dancing. I dance, not like ballet or anything, but if i have a happy thought or am excited of something ill do my little victory dances and i have fun doing it. sometimes it can be cool to watch professionals dance sometimes, I don't watch it very often.
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2011, 08:06:01 pm »

Remember lads, there's a difference between "I don't like music." and "I don't know how to appreciate music.".

I think this is a case of the latter. Ya don't appreciate what a man can do with a guitar. So I'm just gonna post a video of the king of blues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ny5ajCn0xw

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2011, 08:15:01 pm »

Uhm. Sorry, BB King is good, but I'm sure even he'd admit he isn't the king of the blues.

Try Blind Willie McTell or Blind Lemon Jefferson.

But most likely the King of the Blues is Robert Johnson, obviously.

Anyway, it's pretty pretentious to tell someone they just don't appreciate music. First, of course not. Second, just because you can appreciate something doesn't mean you like it. There are a lot of musicians whose skill I appreciate while thinking their music is boring and lifeless.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2011, 08:17:29 pm »

Uhm. Sorry, BB King is good, but I'm sure even he'd admit he isn't the king of the blues.

Try Blind Willie McTell or Blind Lemon Jefferson.

But most likely the King of the Blues is Robert Johnson, obviously.

Anyway, it's pretty pretentious to tell someone they just don't appreciate music. First, of course not. Second, just because you can appreciate something doesn't mean you like it. There are a lot of musicians whose skill I appreciate while thinking their music is boring and lifeless.

First two I never heard of, last guy, well I just plain forgot about him.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2011, 08:19:08 pm »

If you don't enjoy this then you have no soul.

Even if you don't enjoy music, you can at least appreciate the amount of skill required to perfect this song. I've been learning it myself and it isn't exactly easy.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:46 pm »

Remember lads, there's a difference between "I don't like music." and "I don't know how to appreciate music.".

I think this is a case of the latter. Ya don't appreciate what a man can do with a guitar.
And how exactly could you possibly know this? Furthermore, do you realise you're acting precisely the way that he said he finds frustrating? Telling him his oppinion just isn't "good" enough, for no other reason than it being different from yours.
Love, scriver~

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2011, 08:22:37 pm »

And how exactly could you possibly know this? Furthermore, do you realise you're acting precisely the way that he said he finds frustrating? Telling him his oppinion just isn't "good" enough, for no other reason than it being different from yours.

I'm not saying it isn't good enough, I'm telling him he's wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11