Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: am i the only one?  (Read 8696 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: am i the only one?
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »

I can sympathize with the OP only by analogy. But even then music is such a broad category that I don't have any analogies that really fit. For example, I don't like television. However, there are some television shows that I do like, so it doesn't hold true.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2011, 06:58:47 am »

I've heard all the songs I've seen posted in here, not one I didn't like yet xD

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2011, 09:51:36 am »

This is the last thread I'm participating in down here.

Anyways, someone who doesn't and won't listen to music is like a fat guy who just sits on his couch eating potato chips for days. And then when he runs out of chips (excuses), he has to get up and walk around, and then he loses a lot of weight and he gets a girlfriend and a job.

True story.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2011, 10:07:25 am »

One last insult before you (supposedly) leave.  Classy.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2011, 10:18:12 am »

One last insult before you (supposedly) leave.  Classy.

That's not an insult it's an analogy. If I wanted to insult people I would just say it without a long analogy.

Someone who doesn't like music at all is like a guy who never reads and all his friends are reading these great books and they're all suggesting them but he just wants to sit at home and watch Family Guy.

There, an analogy that can't be taken offensively. But then again, I've been wrong before.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:22:23 am by Urist is dead tome »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2011, 10:26:04 am »

Nah. An analogy involves situations that are, in some way, analogous.

What you wrote was simply an insult, albeit a quite weird one.

Oh gog why am I talking to the troll?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2011, 10:29:27 am »

Yes, let's all start with the troll accusations, that will make this more civil.

My question to you: Why bother be offended by me. I'm not trying to offend people, I'm just trying to make comparisons. As you can see, my imagination is broken.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2011, 10:45:02 am »

Yes, let's all start with the troll accusations, that will make this more civil.

My question to you: Why bother be offended by me. I'm not trying to offend people, I'm just trying to make comparisons. As you can see, my imagination is broken.

You aren't making comparisons, you are (still) saying that anyone who doesn't enjoy the same thing as you must require an excuse to do so. I do not need an excuse to dislike anything, I simply dislike it and that is the way it is. I'm not 'refusing to participate' in music. I have probably listened to a wider variety of music than you, in fact because no matter what I do people push their music on me assuming I simply haven't heard what I like yet. I listen politely because I am a nice person who values my friends, but I have yet to hear any music which I personally enjoy.

Now please leave as you promised.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2011, 10:50:09 am »

You aren't making comparisons, you are (still) saying that anyone who doesn't enjoy the same thing as you must require an excuse to do so. I do not need an excuse to dislike anything, I simply dislike it and that is the way it is. I'm not 'refusing to participate' in music. I have probably listened to a wider variety of music than you, in fact because no matter what I do people push their music on me assuming I simply haven't heard what I like yet. I listen politely because I am a nice person who values my friends, but I have yet to hear any music which I personally enjoy.

But not bothering to listen to music is refusing to participate. That's the way things work, man.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2011, 10:54:56 am »

But not bothering to listen to music is refusing to participate. That's the way things work, man.
I'm not sure you read what I posted. I do listen, I have listened to a lot of music. I don't enjoy it. If you dislike reading and don't read books for entertainment, you aren't 'refusing to participate in the literary culture' you just don't like books and you're not into that.

To reiterate, I'm not saying "I hate music on general principle and go out of my way to avoid it" I simply do not enjoy it and never choose to listen to it on my own. If it is already on, it doesn't bother me but I don't like it either.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2011, 11:03:42 am »

I have probably listened to a wider variety of music than you, in fact because no matter what I do people push their music on me assuming I simply haven't heard what I like yet.

Though I have to say, this is not the reason I know of most people "push" music on others. They aren't looking for someone in particular to find something they like, but rather they are looking for someone who likes the same thing they like. Enjoying music is sometimes a difficult activity - there is so much variety that finding someone who likes the music you do is often quite difficult, unless you like solidly mainstream stuff and only that.

Essentially, sharing of music is in many ways a selfish pursuit of someone, anyone, who will validate and reinforce the original sharers opinion. We are compelled to transmit the virus until it finds a new host.

Urist
Also, I'm pretty sure that if he is refusing to participate in music, despite having listened to quite a bit of it, and has had his opinion go from ambivalent to negative... it's in many ways due to people like you.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2011, 11:18:11 am »

If your not trolling your are at the very least not the owner of the human trait empathy.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2011, 12:24:17 pm »

I have probably listened to a wider variety of music than you, in fact because no matter what I do people push their music on me assuming I simply haven't heard what I like yet.

Though I have to say, this is not the reason I know of most people "push" music on others. They aren't looking for someone in particular to find something they like, but rather they are looking for someone who likes the same thing they like. Enjoying music is sometimes a difficult activity - there is so much variety that finding someone who likes the music you do is often quite difficult, unless you like solidly mainstream stuff and only that.

Essentially, sharing of music is in many ways a selfish pursuit of someone, anyone, who will validate and reinforce the original sharers opinion. We are compelled to transmit the virus until it finds a new host.
i wholeheartedly agree with you, but i still think that people who don't enjoy music usually don't enjoy it because they never found the right music

much like reading, if someone reads a few books and don't enjoy it they might start to believe they don't enjoy reading, but one can write about everything, and in so many different ways that one is bound to enjoy some way of writing about some subject, be it sports newspapers, internet forums, or crappy fantasy novels

the difference is that to read one must put some effort into it before one knows he enjoys reading what he is reading, and some people are just too lazy

music is something so wide and varied that something you like must be out there... some music might require some effort, especially if it is kind of exotic to you, other might be immediately appealing, possibly because it's exotic to you

music can sometimes be appreciated for the things they are associated to, and sometimes might be appreciated for it's actual musical content: one might like cowboys, and will enjoy listening to american country because it makes him feel cowboy, or listen to something depressive because he is depressed, others might enjoy 80ies dance music simply because he enjoys the rhythms or classical music because he appreciates the compositions, but in truth, one does not *need* to enjoy music, it doesn't make you happier or a better person, so there is no reason to actively search for the right music for you, i'm just saying there is probably something for you out there, though.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2011, 12:45:48 pm »

i still think that people who don't enjoy music usually don't enjoy it because they never found the right music

I couldn't disagree more. This is like saying people who don't like watching ballet just haven't seen the right ballet. It's just silly.

One option is that they simply don't, for whatever reason, appreciate the ballet they have seen. No matter how many ballets you show them, this is unlikely to change. This is how MOST people are about music they don't "like".

The other option is they understand exactly whats going on, and it simply doesn't interest them. I can understand this point of view too. This is how most people are with music they USED to like but don't anymore. They understood it, they simply lost interest and no longer connect for some reason.

Considering most people have both of these to varying extents, its perfectly possible to show a person every piece of music in existence and not have them like any of them. Especially since the second bit is based on context as much as anything else - it may just be he hasn't heard the right song in the right situation, but then... there might not BE a right situation. Even if there is, there's no easy way to predict it.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2011, 01:24:24 pm »

I listen to music at times and may even enjoy it, but it interests me absolutely zero. I've never understood how people can talk about it for hours.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11