Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Plans for the winter of 1943

Операция "Ой морозь морозь" - Maintain a high operational tempo through the winter, attacking weak points as able
- 6 (60%)
Операция "Не морозь меня" - Slow things down, making a few major and considered attacks without wasting strength
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37

Author Topic: Arsenal of Democracy LP (1 October, 1944: Vperyod!)  (Read 95124 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP (21 April, 1943: Land War in Asia)
« Reply #330 on: October 27, 2011, 12:46:43 pm »

Alright, time for some strategy talk. At the moment we're fighting on three fronts, so I'll give my impressions on each of them with some thoughts on what we might do next. This is where your input comes in, too.

Ukraine/Belarus
Given the current strength of our forces on the Western Front, plus what reinforcements (to the tune of 20-30 divisions) I've been able to scrounge up from elsewhere, I'm convinced we'll be able to contain the German advance until winter, through which we'll be building a ton of infantry. It would be a lot easier if it weren't for the other two fronts. Enemy forces probably total around two hundred to three hundred divisions. We can't afford to pull anything off this front; every territory we have to fall back out of is production capacity lost, and we'll probably need it later.

Turkey
A sideshow right now, with some thirty Soviet divisions (twenty of which are opposing a possible but unlikely Turkish re-crossing of the Bosphorous to the mainland; the other ten are spread out over the area) facing a handful of Italian paratroopers and amphibious infantry, but it could flare up. Intelligence suggests Italy has about a hundred divisions in total, plus a fleet that'll make it difficult to hit them on their own territory until we're most of the way through Germany.

Geographically, Turkey is likely to be the most interesting of the fronts, because it's not covered in mud or jungle (although there are some mountains), and maneuver ought to play a major role.

The Far East
The thorniest problem we face right now. At the front line in the mountains in Khabarovsk, our fiftyish divisions face thirtyish American divisions. It's almost certainly going to stay that way for a while, since the largest attack that can come from one province without taking huge effectiveness penalties is 24, and even that requires a field marshal that we don't have.

I think my next move here is going to be to redeploy Rokossovsky to Turkey and Zhukov to the northern part of the German front, and to send some of our headquarters units back to the west to aid in counterattacks (should the opportunity present itself). I'll eventually be able to kick the Americans out of Vladivostok, but that's not a near-term proposition, and if the Americans want to launch attacks against a prepared infantry defense in the mountains, with air support on call, that's their own business, and I would welcome the experienced infantry units.

Edit: hey, we passed 7000 views.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 27, 2011, 02:25:01 pm »

Nice. How far back do you plan on falling?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 27, 2011, 02:56:24 pm »

I got a plan but It might lost a few divisions but Is it possable to pull a few of the german divisions into one area where their useless and we can attack the weaked area they attacked from.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 27, 2011, 05:43:38 pm »

Send my men against the Turks... I've had my lesson of fighting against the Americans...
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #334 on: October 28, 2011, 08:11:41 am »

Nice. How far back do you plan on falling?

My present goal is to go no further than the Daugava/Dnieper line, which runs from southeast from Riga, Latvia to Smolensk, and from Smolensk just about due South to Kiev and then the Black Sea. On the game map, Smolensk is the only province that doesn't get the river defense bonus, and in the late 30s I put a honking great land fortress there in preparation for this very contingency.

I'm not too worried about holding Leningrad, actually, nor Moscow to a lesser extent. The terrain in the north is favorable for us. In the south toward Stalingrad and (more importantly) Baku, the steppes are not the greatest place to establish defensive positions, but we'll have to work with it.

I got a plan but It might lost a few divisions but Is it possable to pull a few of the german divisions into one area where their useless and we can attack the weaked area they attacked from.

On a much smaller scale, this is something I'm trying to do already. As we retreat out of provinces, we tear up the roads and burn everything useful to the ground. This dramatically reduces the effective supply efficiency of units in the province, which dramatically reduces their fighting efficiency as they run out. If the Germans push, say, two provinces deep into my line, that leaves me an opportunity to cut off that salient at the base, encircle the units that penetrated the deepest, and destroy them entirely.

On the other hand, we might also be well-served by beating up the Germans wherever we can and letting them retreat. They're trying to maintain and supply an army larger than ours, plus supplying their allies, while repairing and reinforcing units we bloody, and they have slightly less industrial capacity and and a dramatically smaller amount of manpower than we do. Even losses or even 2-1 in their favor are probably still an economic win for us.

Send my men against the Turks... I've had my lesson of fighting against the Americans...

Your men are in the north of the German front, unfortunately, and it's quite a walk down to Turkey.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 28, 2011, 12:21:08 pm »

Hmm that's an issue... Then Walk quickly stay put and wait for orders
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 28, 2011, 01:11:18 pm »

Your men are in the north of the German front, unfortunately, and it's quite a walk down to Turkey.

Fret not, noble comrade!  I shall smite thy enemy in your steed!  For the Motherland!

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #337 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:48 am »

I've arranged rather a busy weekend for myself, so if I don't get to play tonight, I probably won't until Monday. You can expect the update on Monday or Tuesday night.

Edit: missed playing last night, so I'll be playing tonight and posting tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.\

Edit 2: I kind of stopped taking notes and pictures toward the end because holy cow there are a lot of Germans, and they're all in bits and pieces of my territory, so if tomorrow's update gets sparse toward the end, that's why. To sum up, I haven't lost a whole bunch of land, and what I have lost is burned to the ground, but it's getting difficult to trade space for time in the quantities that I'll need before reinforcements on a large scale start arriving.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 02, 2011, 08:22:39 pm »

Oh noes! whats happened to my men! and HOLD THE THICK RED LINE!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 03, 2011, 12:28:19 pm »

Send some troops temporarily from Turkey.  We can hold with a bit less temporarily.

Worse case scenario, I can hold parts of Turkey while the Italians take the coast and my other forces assist in defense of the Motherland.  We can throw the Italians back into the sea when reinforcements arrive from the East.

Mother Russia must come before everything else!

EDIT: Actually, it might be better if I return to defend Russia with my Headquarters unit and core troops, leaving the auxillaries to defend Turkey.  You probably need the force multipliers and stack limit boosts that a Headquarters unit such as mine would provide far more desperately against the Germans than the Italians.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #340 on: November 03, 2011, 02:17:53 pm »

Update coming tonight, only a few days in advance of the next one (ideally).

EuchreJack, it turns out I was wrong about where Rokossovsky was stationed. He was actually facing off against Romania already, and he's needed there. Zhukov will be sticking to the European front too. The Italians are really stockpiling troops in the Dodecanese (they're up to 16 divisions), but I seriously doubt they'll be able to push through, and they're not capable of landings in force in mainland Anatolia, so I'm not concerned there. Rokossovsky will be staying in the Ukraine for a while, I expect.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2011, 08:19:00 pm »

Not my usual style. This is a near-transcription of my notes, edited for clarity, because I've been extraordinarily busy this week.

Spoiler: 7 May, 1943 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unit updates (click to show/hide)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP (7 May, 1943: Victories and Defeats)
« Reply #342 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:23 pm »

I drastically pared down the opening post, since nearly all of the metagame stuff hasn't been going on of late.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 03, 2011, 09:32:18 pm »

Go Malinin! Reverse-Barbarossa those durn Nazis!

Things are looking tense. Any possibility that the Germans will cross the river?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #344 on: November 04, 2011, 08:12:31 am »

Things are looking tense. Any possibility that the Germans will cross the river?

I remain optimistic, but at the same time, I wouldn't put money against it. It really depends on what the Germans do. There's a big push going on along the Moscow axis, but we're thinner in the north than we are in the center, so we'll have to keep an eye out for them to shift priorities.

In other, related news, the game was presenting me with some inconsistent intelligence information, so I loaded the game as Germany to see what was up. Apparently, my spies report the total size of forces under Germany's control, which includes huge expeditionary forces sent by the Axis Minor Allies. Germany is in control of some 400 to 425 divisions at the moment per my spy reports, but only 300 of those are actually German, and only 200 or 250 German divisions are on the Western Front. This jives with my experience, as other parts of COMINTERN (Tannu Tuva and Mongolia) have sent me token expeditionary forces to help out in wars.

In the course of fighting defensive battles, I noticed also that Germany has a bunch of absurdly good commanders: every attack so far has been led by a skill 4 field marshal. I think I have one of those (Zhukov).
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37