Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Plans for the winter of 1943

Операция "Ой морозь морозь" - Maintain a high operational tempo through the winter, attacking weak points as able
- 6 (60%)
Операция "Не морозь меня" - Slow things down, making a few major and considered attacks without wasting strength
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37

Author Topic: Arsenal of Democracy LP (1 October, 1944: Vperyod!)  (Read 95114 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP (15 May, 1943: Eight Brutal Days)
« Reply #360 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:24 pm »

<3 AoD, and USSR :D watching!

Looks like youve been a bit raped in west russia/poland, but the retreats look nice and safe for a new front line so itll be ok probably :D.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 22, 2011, 10:48:53 pm »

Do you have a second line set up for if the Dnieper-Daugava line fails?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #362 on: November 23, 2011, 08:29:28 am »

I only chose the Dnieper-Daugava line because it was a convenient one-- I only had to fortify the one province to complete it. Otherwise it's just more terrain to fall back across, and behind it is more of the same, but with fewer rivers.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 23, 2011, 08:34:36 am »

Pull my men back, and wait for reinforcements.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 23, 2011, 02:43:57 pm »

At what point on the Western Front would you consider the Germans as having enough strength to overwhelm you, province-wise? The strategy tends to be 'wait them out', but if they take too much land...?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 24, 2011, 12:36:16 am »

Well, I think the strategy is more "Bleed them dry" instead of "Wait them out", in which case we can lose a lot of land.  Napoleon sacked Moscow, the Germans fought house-to-house in Stalingrad.  They both lost.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 24, 2011, 09:25:13 am »

I think it's more of a combination of both, let them push a bit into scorched provinces and wait for the winter, after they get frozen to death we push back before they can respond.

And a question, do you fortify your fallback lines?
I'm messing around in HoI 3 a bit and can't help myself but waste tons of IC on fortifications along big rivers and certain weakspots, this leaves me quite undermanned for some time and I usually can't muster enough manpower to hold the initial line long enough for a big fallback to the rivers.That and HoI3 has a rather annoying hierarchy system that I'm still having trouble figuring out.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #367 on: November 24, 2011, 10:20:37 am »

Not normally. Smolensk is fortified, partly because it's a major stop on the road to Moscow, and partly because it's the only spot on the Dnieper-Daugava line not behind a river, but other than that most of the IC I've spent on non-military stuff has been on more industrial capacity.

To expand on my plans a bit, I plan to defend Moscow to the last drop of blood. We could honestly stand to lose Baku--we have an utter ton of oil stockpiled--but Moscow represents too significant a portion of our IC (even after the industry-to-Siberia events) to lose. As much as I have a soft spot for Leningrad(/St. Petersburg), having lived there for a while, it's not critical to hold.

Jopax, I'm thinking I'll get HoI3 Complete the next time it's cheap on Steam. Honestly, the order of battle system is something I'm looking forward to the most. :P

Edit: Actually, it's all on sale for $12 on Steam as part of the autumn thing. Arsenal of Democracy is $6, and as I understand it, the consensus is that between the two, AoD is the better game. If you're looking to get into Paradox WW2 gaming, now is the right time.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 24, 2011, 12:49:37 pm »

Yeah, I wanted to get it but my card needs some codes that I can only get from the bank, and I can't get to the bank untill I get home, which is in two weeks, but I guess there will be a Christmas sale too so all is not lost :)
AS - IG

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #369 on: November 25, 2011, 11:56:45 am »

I'll probably play the next update later this weekend. For now, my played-an-hour impressions of Hearts of Iron 3:

• The order-of-battle system is fantastic, particularly since command bonuses propagate down the structure: a field marshal with the logistics wizard trait will decrease the supply consumption of everyone under his command.
  • In hand with that, infrastructure and logistics seem more important-- in provinces with poor infrastructure, bonuses from leaders way up the command structure seem not to apply. I could be wrong, but the theater map mode seems to suggest that.
  • Supply is handled fancier, too; supplies and fuel are delivered to supply dumps in each province.
  • You can build your own divisions from brigades. Very nice.
  • On the bad side, the interface seems like a step back. The Arsenal of Democracy auto-sliders are incredible, and the minimum-spending/maximum-spending sliders mean that I've basically not touched them since the start of the game, except to limit spending on consumer goods so I can use that IC to build more soldiers. HoI3 has nothing like that, and I really miss it already.
  • On the same note, the research screen is kind of inscrutable.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 25, 2011, 01:04:46 pm »

You can set most of those windows to AI control which does its best to keep them in check.
c
Research isn't that difficult to figure out but it is more convulted than it should be. Troops are pretty straightforward, you unlock one type and upgrade its certain charactheristics via the other sub upgrades.The doctrines are ok as far as land ones go, air and naval are a bit too scary for me to touch in any meaningful way yet.Theory is there just for supply upgraes (I see no reason for the other stuff) and industry is pretty straightforward.

The bonus theory stuff I tend not to look at and it's just there as something nice that I don't want to bother myself with too much since the returns aren't that big (except practical stuff which is awesome when mass producing stuff).

Combat I have figured out to a certain extent now but it still gives me headaches when I want to do something specific, it's also very misleading seeing that many markers on the map only to find out that 90% of them are HQ units that are pretty worthless in real combat.
AS - IG

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 25, 2011, 09:03:03 pm »

Okay I bought this game since it was on sale.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #372 on: November 28, 2011, 09:36:47 am »

Things I find myself missing in HoI3: autosliders (again), all the fancy AoD production order options (lengthen or shorten runs, accelerate production at the cost of IC, leave a production line empty but in the list to keep the gearing bonus, like I'm doing for our air force), extra combat orders (support defense and reserves are the big one), AoD's Victory or Valhalla and Scorched Earth tactics (although low infra = no movement would make Scorched Earth kind of overpowered).

Things I like: the command structure and the way bonuses propagate down (with Australia in North Africa, I outran my command structure but encircled a hundred and ten thousand routing Italian troops with an armored division), division design (which is just fun), CAGs (being able to detach them and use them as land-based fighters is awesome, even if it's also a bit of a waste), decisive naval combat (thank you, Paradox!), supply system (done as well as in AoD, but in a slightly different way), more sensible combat modifiers (with percentages you can tell what you're getting), tech trees.

In the end, I think AoD is probably still the better game for grand, sweeping alternate histories like this one, if only due to the longer timeframe and technology from start to end. HoI3 is the better game for smaller alternate histories.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #373 on: December 03, 2011, 02:01:37 pm »

Events take a surprising twist in the upcoming update, to be posted tonight or tomorrow.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #374 on: December 03, 2011, 07:38:58 pm »

Spoiler: 8 June, 1943 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unit updates (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37