Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The War Between the States: LP - New Saga!  (Read 4261 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The War Between the States: LP - New Saga!
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:22:31 pm »

I did a LP on this before, I enjoyed it soo much I am going to do it again.

A House Divided

"A house divided against itself cannot stand." I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved; I do not expect the house to fall; but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other. - Abraham Lincoln 1858

In 1856 a member of congress, Charles Sumner, was beaten unconscious by the pro-slavery Preston Brooks. Sumner was promoting the Free Soil party, which was opposed to the spreading of slavery to the western states.  Sumner was giving a speech against pro-slavery elements in Kansas when this occured, this would sadly not be the only injury in the near future.

In 1859 a anti-slavery man called John Brown marched south with a band of followers including former slaves killing 7 people in cold blood. A General called Robert E. Lee lead local forces in apprehending him. He was hung for murder. Many disagreed north and south with his methods, but it instilled fear in the South of Northern anti-slavery agitators.
Nathanial Hawethorn said "No man more justly hanged". Ralph W. Emmerson agreed with many Northerners in saying he was the living embodiment of christ.

America is on the brink of a great war. Abraham Lincoln, a known abolitionist has been elected to the presidency of the United States. Because of this Southern secessionists have enacted their plans and began movements to leave the Union, splitting America in two.  The South feels the intrusion on its state's rights is a breach of the Constitution. The South feels the Constitution is being trampled on, the right to life, liberty and property.
It comes to a head though, when President Lincoln raises a militia to suppress the rebellion in the south. The Southern people are no longer fighting for states rights, but for their homes and heritage.

On April 12 1861 Union forces were bombarded at fort Sumpter, the Union commander surrendered. The only casualty was a horse.

The Southern states have seceded by popular vote. The Northern states are resolved to unite the nation by force. The only thing left is to pick our side, and let slip the dogs of war!

Gamepic
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Game rules
If I play Confederates I will play on hard.
As Union 1 below hard (Due to inherent difficulty).

People here can sign up as major generals, either before or during a new command. When this happens they can design an overall strategy for me to play through.
Example: Attack Harpers ferry and push north into the Union, forcing them to attack the Confederate(our) army.
More info comming!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:10:01 am by Deadmeat1471 »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: The War Between the States: LP Again
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:31:55 pm »

I'll join as a general if we go union.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:20:06 pm »

We could do that.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »

Yeah, let's go Union. Freedom!

And I'll join as a Colonel or brigade commander or something of that sort if we go Union.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:52:52 pm »

Some possible generals:
(In no order)
Grant, sheridan, sherman, burnside, pope(Kaguro), lyon, rosecrans, hooker, meade, butler, mcClellan

Admiral Farragut.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:54:29 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:54:03 pm »

Pope, I love the real one's hat.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »

Pope, I love the real one's hat.
General John Pope

Let us understand each other. I have come to you from the West, where we have always seen the backs of our enemies; from an army whose business it has been to seek the adversary and to beat him when he was found; whose policy has been attack and not defense. In but one instance has the enemy been able to place our Western armies in defensive attitude. I presume that I have been called here to pursue the same system and to lead you against the enemy. It is my purpose to do so, and that speedily. I am sure you long for an opportunity to win the distinction you are capable of achieving. That opportunity I shall endeavor to give you. Meantime I desire you to dismiss from your minds certain phrases, which I am sorry to find so much in vogue amongst you. I hear constantly of "taking strong positions and holding them," of "lines of retreat," and of "bases of supplies." Let us discard such ideas. The strongest position a soldier should desire to occupy is one from which he can most easily advance against the enemy. Let us study the probable lines of retreat of our opponents, and leave our own to take care of themselves. Let us look before us, and not behind. Success and glory are in the advance, disaster and shame lurk in the rear. Let us act on this understanding, and it is safe to predict that your banners shall be inscribed with many a glorious deed and that your names will be dear to your countrymen forever

– John Pope, message to the Army of Virginia
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:06:57 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 09:04:38 pm »

I thought about it, but I like the pope hat too much. It is a dream of mine to steal it somehow one day.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 09:13:11 pm »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »

it's cool, i can imagein one, or photoshop it later
Because I can"-WolfTengu

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:54:43 pm »

I say we go Confederate. Come on, we already know how the Union-victory version of this ends! Let us push back the naive and foolish Northern Agressors to take our rightful place in history!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:56:22 pm »

Union with me as Admiral!

Sorry, Confederacy has no navy, so I have to vote Union.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 10:04:21 pm »

I feel we have a Union vote here, however I will do Confeds afterwards like I did last time.
This time its on a much harder difficulty. So this really will be a fight to the bitter end.

Key things for those who wern't in my previous LP:

As Union we have to avoid losses and casualties, or gain points to counterbalance it. The game begins with 1000 pts and we need to maintain that or improve it to be able to free the slaves in 1863. If we dont free the slaves we will not win. Also, lower points mean less people sign up, mean we get less units and reorganised units.
Also there is an attrition of points, so sitting on our laurels and doing nothing is out of the question.

Basicly - We need to make progress, and avoid large defeats.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 10:05:56 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 01:42:37 am »

Do what the Union did historically:

Use your lousy Major Generals to hold the line in the East, while your higher-skilled lower-eccelon commanders gain experience and victories in the West.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 01:47:40 am »

Do what the Union did historically:

Use your lousy Major Generals to hold the line in the East, while your higher-skilled lower-eccelon commanders gain experience and victories in the West.
Also, keep dismissing the commander of the Union forces untill the replacement is someone compitent. Hey, it worked for Lincolin, why shouldn't it work for you?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4