Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The War Between the States: LP - New Saga!  (Read 4257 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The War Between the States: LP Again
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 06:12:40 am »

Do what the Union did historically:

Use your lousy Major Generals to hold the line in the East, while your higher-skilled lower-eccelon commanders gain experience and victories in the West.
Also, keep dismissing the commander of the Union forces untill the replacement is someone compitent. Hey, it worked for Lincolin, why shouldn't it work for you?

The game is realistic, we have no choice ;) we have to cycle through generals until we get a good one. At least until we 'spawn a good one'. It's the main reason I gave a list of generals, I expect most of them will have a turn at the wheel.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:14:19 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 12:30:48 pm »

The Union army moves south to put down this rebellion for good. The Confederate militias meet the army at a crossroads called Manassas junction. This will be the first battle of the war.... and maybe the last?
In command of our forces is General McDowell, a competant commander.

In command of the Confederates is Joseph E. Johnston.

Johnston

McDowell

The battle began and raged throughout the day and neither side seemed to be winning. However by the end of it our forces were forced to disengage from battle and withdraw northwards. For now it seems the Confederacy has a short reprieve.
A rumor started of Confederate cavalry pursuing our army, the retreat turned into a rout and our army fled the field in disarray.

The battle of First Manassas

We withdraw! :( however, for those of you who know anything about the Civil War.... the death of that there Confederate general is a great advantage.

At the end of the month...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:33:11 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 03:21:49 pm »

August

Union and Confederate soldiers begin to gather in larger and larger numbers, preparing for invasions or defences.
Kentucky has yet to decide whether it wants to join the Union, the Confederacy or remain neutral.

McClellan is given command of the main army in the east, Mcdowell is given command of forces west of washington at Franklin, West Virginia.

McClellan begins training volunteers in the methods of war in preperation for the next battle.

J. P. Hatch promoted to 1 star General. He is our principle eastern theatre cavalryman.

Confederate merchant raiders sink a ship.

September

Our eastern theatre overall commander, Winfield Scott, resigns due to illness. George McClellan is the only General in the east capable of commanding such an army as we currently have. His skills as a trainer of men will be sorely missed.
Mcdowell assumes direct command in Washington of the Army of the Potomac.

John C. Fremont is replaced by Henry Halleck as theatre commander in the west. Fremont couldnt deliver the goods.

Another merchant vessel was sunk by Raphael Semmes, a Confederate merchant raider.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 04:03:26 pm »

October

The Confederacy invaded Kentucky. Our forces have moved south and occupied several of Kentucky's cities, however not yet encountered the enemy.

November

Several coastal islands have been occupied.

Confederate cavalry are tearing up railways in Kentucky, slowing the advance.

Confederate forts around the Ohio river have damaged several gunboats,

December

As it appears to the military establishment that war is to become a profitable business once again, many veteran Generals re-enlist for duties. We have a decent pool of generals now. However our command is still found lacking.

Our naval ships begin to close Confederate ports by blockade. Confederate Raiders however continue to damage shipping.

The battle of Bowling Green; Kentucky

N. Lyon commanding Union forces.

The battle begins, but after a short bloody skirmish Confederate forces withdraw from Bowling Green! our first major victory against the Confederacy, huzzah!
Peoples estimation of Lyon rises after this victory, maybe he is not so unreliable after all.
Some of the Generals who distinguished themselves in the battle: U. S. Grant, J. Pope
The country is stunned by the sheer number of casualties. Local hospitals overflowed with the wounded and the first cases of desertion are recorded.

You did not see the Chikamauga label.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:15:20 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 07:17:04 pm »

January + February

Cavalry advance ahead of the Union army moving south at Kentucky, If the Confederates don't stop us at Clarksville, we may be able to cut the Confederacy in two!

Raphael Semmes was wounded in action trying to attack our shipping, hurrah!

March + April

Another Confederate commerce raider wounded in action.

The battle of Clarksburg, Kentucky:

Nathanial Lyon commanding.
The battle is a fairly easy Union victory, however a diversionary attack at Paducah westerward takes heavy casualties.
U. S. Grant distinguishes himself in the battle.

In the east...

The battle of Winchester, Virginia:

The Union army under command of McDowell advances on Winchester.
U. S. Grant is promoted to Army command and is on a train eastwards, to replace him, but this battle is his.

Our army was deployed poorly and failed to coordinate attacks, we lost the battle and over 10,000 men :(

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:20:31 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:52 pm »

May

Admiral Farragut takes command of two new Ironclad vessals, how can the Confederacy oppose us now?

Cavalry under the command of General Philip H. Sheridan have advanced behind the union army in Tennessee and are wreaking havoc.

Grant leads an attack on Winchester upon arriving. The second battle of Winchester begins!

The battle is as much a failure as the first. We lost another 10,000 men and Grant is castigated for attacking well entrenched Confederates.
The army of the Potomac withdraws to Washington to plan a new offensive at a later date.
any ideas? Maybe send Farragut to New Orleans and try and take it with a amphibious landing?

A confederate raider is sunk by our ships, hurrah!

President Lincoln declares a draft. This should augment our military numbers.

June

Nathanial Lyon leads an attack on Gallatin, TN. The Confederates are outmatched again, they suffer over 9000 casualties and withdraw.

A general named Edwin Morgan leads an landing on Jacksonville, Florida. Farragut's fleet supports the landing. The landing goes perfectly, Jacksonville is occupied with minimal losses.

Confederate cavalry raids are impairing supplys all over kentucky and Tennessee, however Union cavalry under the command of Sheridan occupied London, KY. Kentucky is nearly entirely ours now.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:04:43 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 08:14:51 pm »

I'm considering some leadership changes.

Currently our leaders have been whoever was available and half competent.

Western armies
Overall command: Henry Halleck
-Army commanders: Nathanial Lyon & Ambrose Burnside(Newly arrived)

Eastern armies
Overall command: George B. McClellan
-Army commanders: U. S. Grant & Joseph Hooker

I'm thinking of dismissing Halleck, promoting Burnside to overall command of the west. Then promote William T. Sherman to army command of the main army in Tennessee.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:16:33 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »

The war so far

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: The War Between the States: LP - The Army of Tennessee pushes southwards!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 09:26:45 pm »

Give Billy Sherman an army!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »

August

ANOTHER confederate raider is destroyed, we are really taking control of the sealanes now.

Sheridan attacks some cut off Confederates and captures two confederate generals.

Lyon attacks and captures Nashville Tennessee, inflicting over 10,000 casualties on the Confederates.

September

Two Confederate raiders are sunk!

Nathanial Lyon is promoted to overall command of the Western Theatre, replacing Halleck.

W. T. Sherman assumes command of the army of Tennessee.

Grant attacks Manassas, hopefully he will make some progress against R. E. Lee.
Lee manages to outmaneuver us again, deploying his forces in great positions, we suffer 20,000 casualties and withdraw. The Confederates lost 10,000.
Generals Meagher and Peck were killed in action. General Hatch(Our cavalry commander) was also wounded in action amongst others.

Sheridan captures Lawrence Tennessee, south of Nashville.

October

Admiral Farragut arrives outside New Orleans in the south, he will prepare to run the guns defending the city next month.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:36:00 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »

December

At New Orleans:

HURRAH! despite heavy artillery fire from the coast, Admirals Farragut and Stringham successfully run the guns and make it to the city of New Orleans, and into the Mississippi.

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" - Farragut at the battle of Mobile bay.

Our gunboats bombarded forts around Paducah, destroying several artillery battery's.

General Erasmus Keyes lands outside New Orleans and faces token resistance.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 10:11:50 pm »

Excellent work.  Just adopt a static position in the east and steamroll them from the west.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:19 pm »

February

A Confederate ironclad sailed down to New Orleans and engaged Farraguts fleet, our ironclads and theirs were both damaged. We were forced to Withdraw the fleet outside the bay.

Farragut counter attacks and drives the Confederate fleet away, disabling a second ironclad.

March

George H. Thomas attacks Decateur but encounters heavy resistance and is pushed back.

April

Grant attacks towards winchester to try and break the Army of Northern Virginia. Again.
we lost 13,000 men and were forced to withdraw again. Several generals of high quality were killed or wounded in action.

After a bloody battle costing 8000 men, W. T. Sherman captures Decateur. Sheridan Occupies Tulahoma facing little resistance.

May

The army of the Potomac moves west of Washington in a gamble to flank the Army of Northern Virginia

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 10:57:16 pm »

Wow, it seems like we are loseing this fight.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 10:59:01 pm »

??? Looks to me like we are outperforming history in the west.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4