Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Grimoire of Armok! post your passages to be chosen for the book of our god!  (Read 16410 times)

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

Posting to take partial credit for concept & watch
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a consensus of basic facts so far:

Armok created the worlds and the players.

Creation of the players kind of makes us sound like a cult. IMO, players should be less of a 'tangible' thing and more like 'The will of Armok' as the player plays no role in the physical world of the game. It's just another option for how all of these will be tied together in the end.

And about tying all this together, is They Got Leader the official 'Coordinator'(For lack of a better term)? Seems like whoever is going to edit these all into a single style is going to need liberty over quite a few of the details.

Eheheh

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile

heheh.

created the players as spirits acording to an earlyer entry, and hes editing spelling and will help sew the concepts together, but everything is fluid here, its just what sounds right and what works and is good. So, ill get the drafts together, ive got a few freinds wholl help me -over skype convos- and if anyone in this thread wants a certain bit that wasent included in for definate well hold a poll or two on them.
when the draft is roughtly complete, They Got Leader will spruce it up with correct spelling etc, and probably smooth over the rougth edges and styles. Although i want the entrys to keep as much of their origonal styles as can be possible. this is a community based project after all.

we may have multiple definitions of the players depending on the books, well have one concept for the book of ulrist, another for the book of the second dwarf (i would think a name list should be made, the first must be ulrist by a matter of course, i think the second could be Id, since i have a dorf that i love by that name, but well get their eventualy) that sit alright with you guys?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:22:53 pm by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile

Book 1: World Gen
Book 2: Urist
Book 3: Id
Book 4: Dodok
Book 5: Asmel
Book 6: Mistem

and so on and so forth

until:

Book X: The Fun of Days

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

My entry regarding players see's them as more of a "spiritual" presence than a physical entity, as only the Great Toad can truly "see" them in any capacity. I tried to leave a lot of mysticism and unclear facts rather than just outright stating things, kind of like real religions :)
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

thanks Madjax.

lets see: well need some prophecys, a bit of preaching on morals etc from a dwarven/Armok point of veiw, some gameplay knowledge hidden in the book in these or in storys as well, the dwarven drinking song will be in the first book for sure.

so: think up some preachy stuff for urist to say, about dwarven values etc, some more storys -links apreciated if in another thread and story owner gives consent- including Armoks diciples like angles for god and what not. well need some hidden knowledge bits as well. ie: how a pump stack works, skematics for a steam trap, etc. when its done, well probably get up to oh, say, 10 to 20 "pages" or parts to Urists book. unless we get a massive overflow of storys etc.

I hope the quality is as good as whats been shown so far. these boards are brilliantly creative compared to many ive been on.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile

{This is the desciphering of an engraving found on the floor of the dyeworks of the abandoned fortress Monkeytrusses, believed to have been abandoned some 8,000 years ago}

And brother Urist didst spake: Yea verily, Monom, shalt thou pullest yon lever, for it is commanded.

And lowly Monom didst pull yon lever.

And LO! What sight didst impress upon lowly Monoms vision, but the chambers of trade didst seal tight, as the brew barrel, and the cleansing waters didst flowest forth as a torrent.

And brother Urist didst spake: Yea verily, Monom, shalt thou pullest yon lever, for it is commanded.

And lowly Monom didst pull yon lever.

And LO!  What sight didst impress upon lowly Monoms vision, but the chambers of trade did open, and the cleansing waters did drain away.

<This is a large unreadable section, floor appears to have been vitrified at one time, as if due to great heat, to the point where it is simply smooth glass.>

And did brother Urist command the llamas hide to be pounded and made supple

Yea verily, brother Urist did command it so, and lowly Monom made it be.

And did brother Urist command the hide of the mule to be pounded and made supple

< there is a rather large section here, also quite vitrified, and unreadable as well, however the general shape of the sentences can be seen, and it appears to be extensive lists similar to the lines above >

And did brother Urist command the goods of the Elves, purified in the cleansing water, to be placed in the halls of hoarding.

< The rest is obliterated, as is most of the rest of the room.  We were able to ascertain this was the dyeworks only by the fact that 2 nearby rooms, sealed with doors made of a reddish stone contained bins of various cloth and bags of dye. It is truly a wonder that we were able to find any intact engravings in this area at all.>
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:43:16 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile

"One the first Divine Ones looked upon a group of seven Dwarves. This would it's first attempt to manipulate them to glory in the name of the Blood God. Upon inspection he realised these frail creatures would need sustenance in the form of food and liquid. They would need to grow plants, and that would require mud. The Divine One chose a simple dwarf, Urist, to be his prodigy, a leader amongst these stunted idiots, whom would relay the commands from above.

Soon, a room had been carved from the soil, with plentiful space to grow the needed nutrition of the mortals, along with a passage towards a nearby river. Without hesitation did Urist order the river breached.

The ensuing flood filled the entire chamber with water, claiming the life of one dwarf. "Carp.." muttered a frustrated Urist, echoing the Divine Ones own feelings.

A second chamber was ordered, further upstream, of similar size. Knowing they would need a way to ensure the water did not overwhelm, Urist ordered a door to be made. Soon, it was placed before the river was breached. It worked in the way it kept water out, but this left the problem of a dry field. Urist watched, puzzled, as one of his charges attempted to open the door. The action let a few drops of water through, but the dwarf decided it prudent to swim through the river and the crashing water instead of taking the sensible route back through the farm. This would have been fine, except for the carp that took offence to this trespass. That dwarf was never seen again.

"Carp..." uttered Urist.

A new plan would be needed, as people started to complain. Urist seriously regretted not arriving with a wagon load of weapons and no pre-prepared food as another dwarf succumbed to hunger. That is when it occured to Urist.

The door plan worked in holding back the water, yet did not let enough through to water the fields. If only there was some way to control the door opening from a distance...

A single slab of rock was carved, named a "floodgate" by Urist. It was promptly installed, with the lowly idiot trapping himself on the wrong side. Of course, this genius decided his best route was through the same river that had claimed his brother not days before. Three dwarves remained. Thankfully, one of the survivors claimed to be part of an experimental group known as "Mechanics". With the use of strange toothed objects, this enterprising dwarf somehow "Linked" the floodgate to a "Lever" within the farm. Urist and the Divine One remain perplexed to how he achieved this with only two of these "Mechanisms", thought it had occured to the Divine ne that Dwarves somehow broke Physics.

Urist ordered the first test, the lever was pulled, the door on the other side was taken away and the water gushed forth. Planning had not gone according to plan, as the mechanic who had taken off the door was swept away by the crashing tide before colliding with a wall. The last dwarf under Urists control reported back, stating that he could not reach the lever due to "Dangerous Terrain" or some such. In lay-dwarfs terms, this meant it was under water.

"Carp!" screamed Urist and the Divine One.

A third cavern was carved, and using the mechanics parchments that he called "Schematics", a similar system was implemented. Urist was careful this time, placing the lever OUTSIDE of the farm, and placing a single door between the farm and the main corridor. This HAD to work. Urist ordered the lever pulled, yet his remaining dwarf would do nothing, except he would lay on the floor, complaining of thirst. Urist sighed to himself, and pointed to the river, literally steps away. But this was to no avail, as the cowardly dwarf died on the spot. With only himself remaining, Urist pulled the lever, and after a few heartbeats, pulled it again.

Carefully, Urist cracked the door and looked.

At last! Glorious mud, and the water was evaporating slowly! Urist quickly rushed to the wagon, threw it open to reveal their impressive armory. The Divine One almost went insane with laughter as Urist had a single thought: Should of packed some bloody seeds! 

"CARP!"
"

Admit it, you've all forgotten to pack seeds at LEAST once :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:22:07 pm by MadJax »
Dwarven Math:

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

Eheheh
follow the link back to the other thread. it was my spark that fell upon the powder keg that is the creative hive-mind of this forum, my post.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

now now scaraban, ill make sure you get your dues.

and Madjax, try making curses more dwarfy, not something that will cause offence to fourm reading humans ok? :)

And did Urist int he time before time hold a meeting, and from the liason he doth asked wood, and booze, and food, But did he demand these items, needed as they were? no! for urist was too clever for that, and put them on low priority, knowing that they would flow into the fort as the spite of nobles in the mountainhomes was used to his advantage. and lo! it was good, and the fortress did flourish as Armok intended.

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile

Edited until I can think of a more appropriate word :P
Dwarven Math:

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile

And it shall be told, the labors of brother Urist.

Lord Armok spake unto brother Urists ear: Thou shalt srtike the earth!

LO! As Lord Armok commanded, brother Urist shalt make it be.

And brother Urist didst gather up the seeds and place them in his wagon.
And brother Urist didst gather up the picks and place them in his wagon.
And brother Urist didst load full his wagon with barrels filled with the nourishing brew.
And brother Urist didst gather about him many dogs and cats.
And brother Urist didst gather about him companions to accompany him in his labors.

And brother Urist didst strike the earth.

And Lord Armok spake unto brother Urists ear: Thou shalt make place under the earth, whereby thou shalt hoard thine posession.  Thou shalt make the place under the earth whereby thou hoardest thine posession according to mine command.

LO! As Lord Armok commanded, brother Urist shalt make it be.

And it was shewn to brother urist in a dream, whereby he shalt command a stair to be dug, to the deepest depths of the earth.
And brother Urist commanded the loyal miner: Yea verily, shalt thou diggest a stair to the deepest depths of the earth.
Yea verily, the loyal miner did as bade, and revealed unto them the great caverens were.

And it was shewn to brother Urist in a dream, whereby he command the stalwart masons to construct a wall, for dread danger lurks beyond yon great caveren.
And brother Urist commanded the stalwart mason: Yea verily, shalt thou construct a wall, for dread danger lurks beyond yon great caveren.
Yea verily, the stalwart mason did as bade, and the wall was constructed, and the dread danger shalt be barred entrance.

And it was sehwn to brother Urist in a dream, whereby he shalt command a room be carved, whereby he may take stock of yon stones, revealed unto him, in the digging of thine great stair which plumbs the deepest depths.  And whereby he may take stock of thine hoard, and all the things around, and whereby he may eat thine helmet roast.
And brother Urist didst command a room be carved, and a chair and table be placed therin, whereby he may take stock of yon stones, and whereby he may take stock of thine hoard, and all the things around, and whereby he may eat thine helmet roast.
Yea verily, the loyal miners did as bade, and the chair and table were placed, and brother Urist took stock of yon stones, and took stock of thine hoard, and took stock of all the things around.

And Yea verily, brother Urist didst eat thine helmet roast.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:45:42 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

two things
1. You missed one
2. CARP!!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

I believe this belongs within, with a couple updates
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/On_the_origins_of_dwarfs

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile

two things
1. You missed one
2. CARP!!

And done :D

Also, for that wiki entry, it does say "Based on the Dwarven creation myths", so yeah, it can be added in as the way dwarves assume they were made :)
Dwarven Math:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7