Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Grimoire of Armok! post your passages to be chosen for the book of our god!  (Read 16409 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile

And when the living rock had become dead, hiding the spark of life within, thus grew the world.

From the rock itself, beaten to soil and clay by wind and water (work of foul elven half-gods from when Armok invented booze and went a little overboard), sprang the trees. From the trees descended the elves: short, pointy-eared, and determined to protect their progenitors. And so the elves built great civilizations, but cut off from the trees they dropped, growing into Men through their unnatural bonding with stone over tree. And Armok saw the elves and humans. And was most displeased.

And so did Armok come to view the world with disgust. Grabbing the most putrid mucous of his own Great and Magma-filled nasal cavity, Armok cast the Goblin Scourge to the earth. And he gifted them with the most sacred of gifts: the secrets of the life of rock. With the secret to bend stone itself to their ☼iron will☼, the goblins did attack and destroy much of the elves and humans. But the humans took the secret of iron from the goblins and so lived. And the elves took a page from their forest-kin rabbits and so lived. But the goblins stopped not. Armok looked upon his living stone and, desiring a true champion on his planet that could be looked upon with pride, created a single stocky being. And he was called: Urist. And unto Urist the gravest secrets were revealed. The art of using the living stone itself. The secrets of magma and steel. Thus, the Dwarven race came to be.

Meanwhile, through entirely seperate and unanticipated evolutionary processes, a gang of muskrats gain sentience and decide "Dude, let's steal stuff."
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Shrapull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"And thus, when his dream had come to fruition in a glorious day of creation, he looked across the plains with a single thought of regret - "I have made too many damn cats."

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile

Armok, in his eternal wisdom, made a thousand worlds a thousand times. In the 7th day of creation, Armok stopped. And in his eternal helm, he nodded. And it was good.
And thus, when the torrent of creation stopped, a single !!Cat!! appeared. It meowled a meow of life, and thus, before Armok's eternal eyes, the !!Dorfs!! were made. And it was good.

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile

"And lo, in the times before time, Armok smiled at his creation. Through many hardship, he had crafted a land to call his own. Unbeknownst to him, came a dark force from the nether. Hiddenifious Funturio Stuffaria, self proclaimed lord of the dark denizens. The abominations sought chaos and destruction in the form of twisted tentacles and flying excrement, and laughed at Armok's futile land.

Armok smiled, and said unto himself "And so, Hiddenifious, you present me a worthy battle that I may partake in. The slaughter shall be joyous, and you will be immortalised forever." And thus he bore the titans, first of Armok's living creations, to combat this new threat. The battle lasted millenia, many demons fell to the titans, themselves suffering many casualties. The land was ravaged and many titans grew unstable from the millenia of battle they had endured. Armok felt the hidden presence of Hiddenifious, gleefully twisting these weary titans, making them dangerous and insane.

On the final days of the battle, Armok declared his weariness of this battle, and using the sacred Divine Blue, crafted hundreds, maybe thousands of enchanted blades with his own strong will. Hiddenifious, worried by this development, pulled his forces back to the underworld from which they had spawned. Hoping that the fortresses they had created from the Dark Rock would protect them from the divine ones wrath. Infuriated by their introduction of this foreign substance onto his land, Armok cast the blades into the fortresses themselves, sealing them forever.

Years passed as the titans and Armok sought to rebuild the world, their twisted and insane brethren still wandered the land, forests and meadows had been destroyed, oceans had been boiled. Over the year, Armok gathered the twisted titans, and sealed them as under the earth as guardians of the deep. Oceans of magma were formed, the blood of the divine one himself, in order to keep ecret the denizens that lay beneath. As further protection, Armok would seal any potential weak points with the Divine Blue metal in the shape of tubes. Just as the Dark Rock could not be manipulated by his own will, the forces of Hiddenifious could not manipulate the Divine Blue.

And lo, he proclaimed to the Titans: "Hear me, you who are still of mind. Your breathren will be sealed beneath, in the very womb of my world, and shall be forgotten. I shall not intefere with the actions of this land again, yet I shall create new peoples whom shall battle each other, and offer a sacrifice of blood. The frail Humans, who's flesh shall age quicker than most. The elegant Elves, who shall value the land above all else, and consume the flesh of other because of this. The Goblins, a savage race whom shall be at odds with others. The Kobolds, who value materials above life. And finally, my favoured children, the Dwarves, whom shall be guided by my divine servants to compensate for their lack of intelligence."

As one the Titans let loose a cry: "But Master, what shall we do about the damage? Will you not lend us your divine grace to help us recover?"

With a blink, Armok summoned into existence a bieng. Green and tall, with bulbous eyes and a wide grin. "My servant, The Great Toad, shall oversee future repairs and improvements. By his blessing shall these lands be granted more life."

The Titans rejoiced, and yet held their heads high once more: "And what now of you, our master?"

To which Armok replied: "And now, I shall retreat to the Twelfth Bay of the void, where my servant of Three Toes shall entertain me with stories of the races and their actions." And with that, Armok was gone. The first of his five races awoke to the world, bleary eyed and primitive.

The Great Toad watched the event, and simply muttered: "Blood. For the Blood God." before croaking."

Should be noted that the Time before Times in this passage is before the awakening of the races, as Titans and FB's tend not to have a "Born" date  ;)
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And Armok created an infinity of lesser gods, filled with the same twisted sense of humour and insanity as that of the Blood God himself. These beings, now known as "players", are not all aware of Armok. Some think they ARE Armok. But the truth is that they are all the image of Armok, scaled down to comprehensible levels. These beings were given the power to create and destroy worlds, and to create, destroy, and control creatures at will. Some have even unlocked deeper magics, such as the ability to see deep into the earth, and to create water and magma at will.

Some of these players have abandoned Armok, and decided to worship gods created in the players' minds. Gods and beings such as Jehova, Allah, the Jade Emperor, and many others have been though of and worshipped by countless mislead players. Many more players fail to carry out their main duty: to create and destroy worlds, to create and destroy their own world, and to lead the dwarves of their created worlds to do the same.

Those who fail to carry out their purpose, and those who worship false gods, will, upon death, be demoted to the sub-worlds, the worlds created by players.

Those who bring glory to Armok, carry out their purpose, and show other players the path of blood shall be rewarded in a glorious after life. They will be taken to a heaven of Dwarfiness, filled with deep tunnels dug into the ground, massive adamantine megaprojects, rivers and lakes of magma, and Masterful crafts made from the remains of slaughtered elves.

The dwarfiest of the righteous players shall be given a dwarfputer, built of adamantine and powered by magma, to continue to carry out the purpose that they have come to love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This'll probably need editing to make it sound nicer.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

You sir, have amused me
Why, thank you!
...You were talking to me, right?

And on the seventh day, the world generation was complete.
And it really can take this long... ;D

I need sleep but my Dwarfs require battlements with dragon statues that shoot lava.
Awesome. Thy Father Armok gives His holy approval.

Ahem.

---

The Ten-Or-So Commandments of Armok
1.) Thou shall not worship any god but armok.
2.) Thou shall not take the name of thy god and warlord Armok in vain.
3.) Thou shall remember the training day, to keep your enemies holey.
4.) Honor thy father and mother.
4a.) Unless thee hath killed more goblins and elves than thy parents.
5.) Thou shalt not kill.
5a.) Except goblins.
5b.) Oh, and elves, of course.
5c.) And legendary metalsmiths who failed to make 15 native platinum items.
5d.) And nobles who ordered the "beating."
5e.) And the legendary metalsmith's wife, who is smashing that artifact table.
5f.) And the legendary gemcutter who made the table.
5g.) And the miners, all of whom were friends of the metalsmith and the gemcutter, and who meandered past their decaying corpses.
5h.) And the wife of the militia commander, who was overwhelmed by the miners and earlier harmed by the other tantrumers.
5i.) Or the...well, the fort's destroyed. You know what, let's forget this one. I like gladiatorial fights anyway.
6.) Dwarves seem to follow this one, so let's skip to the next one for now.
7.) Thou shalt not steal kills.
8.) Thou shalt not lie. Especially about thy kills.
9.) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's barracks.
10.) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's hammer, or his battleaxe, or his waraxe, or his crossbow, or his shield, or his breastplate, or his +pig tail fiber sock+, or anything that is thy neighbor's.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I need sleep but my Dwarfs require battlements with dragon statues that shoot lava.

That alone should go in there somewhere.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile

1,379. Do you see any battlements with dragons that shoot lava? No? Get on that.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile

293 days after Armok created the proud race of Dwarves, the dwarves were allowed to multiply. Only one woman was infertile. This woman was shunned by the dwarves and found no mate. Armok was enraged, Armok's own creation shunned by other creations! Armok however gave the woman a proposition. She could become fertile enough to have 1 baby and the seed part of Armok's soul. Or that she would receive an infertile husband to be her mate forever.

The woman, now named [Ironfingers], chose the holy baby. The baby was the perfect creation, as it was part Armok. Though it inherited none of Armok's abilities, the baby was worshipped. One of the lowly dwarves, made part Armok!! The woman never let go of her baby, and enjoyed the worship of her baby.

Armok was outraged! The ungrateful dwarves worshipping their own and not Armok! Armok then gave direction to other creations to start snatching those they could. These snatchers started harassing the dwarves, and tried to nab any dwarves. The dwarves then militarized and fought back the snatchers. One snatcher heard a dwarf cry "protect the holy baby!" Noticing the dwarves crowding Ironfingers, he found his target. He snatched the baby and ran, the baby was never seen again. Rumor have it the baby grew and became their best agent.

The dwarves were set into deep depressions. Going insane, and weird moods to create something worthy and equivalent of worship. Ironfingers went berserk, but unlike her comrades, wandered the land in search of her baby. Never to be seen again. Now all women keep their infants in their arms, even in fighting. All to remember Ironfingers and the holy baby. Snatchers, seeing this sudden depression, would only take children from the dwarves.

Armok had left the dwarves on their own and started to hate the dwarves, turning his other creations against the dwarves. The dwarves, left to their own, had to deal with the new dangers in the rivers, forests, caverns, and magma. Some dwarves started to hate Armok for their punishment, others accepted the fate they were given. Armok's name was eventually forgotten in time by the dwarves, who then worshipped other deities.

Armok left the dwarves to their fate, vowing to restrict his interventions in dwarven lives. Armok then created new horrors for the dwarves to encounter over time, and even softening some dangers.

my attempt. :P

"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

I will have time after to class to come by and polish these up, if you guys want. I am not a English major, but I love to write.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile

(something i did during history class so my civ could have a god)

Gospel of Armok, God of blood

Armok, he who is mightiest above all other things. Stronger then the rock, fiercer than the great North wind, Swifter than the desert hare. His is the blood of the world, the liquid fire that flows deep beneath the surface. His is the blood of the beasts, shed by them that we may live. His is our blood, that flows within us and give us passion, spirit, and the will to dominate all we see. He gave his blood to us, that we may be stronger than the worshippers of the soft elder gods, their blood diluted by falsities and lack of drive. And so, we must return that blood, so shall our warriors give it to him when we shed it on the field of battle.  So we shall dedicate the blood of our enemies to him, that he may take it up and remake them in a way more fitting to his thoughts. So speaks Armok, and so we obey!
Blood for the Blood God!

Ritual of the Blood!( High sacrifice, summer and winter solstice sacrifices)

(the priest holds the child up to the flames)
Armok! At the dawn of time you created us, your chosen race! You filled us with your blood, that we might be strong and crush our enemies. Here is new blood, fresh and strong, untainted by the ravages of time and labor! We give him/her to you, that his blood may be taken and spread into our people, that the children that shall follow will be given his/her blood by you,  and then  given to the children who shall come after!

(the priest casts the child into the fire)

That his blood may be reborn into a hundred strong Dwarves, who shall carry your divine truth with them, in battle and in trade, in anger and in peace. Let his blood go to them, and let his spirit be taken to your side and reborn as a Spirit of Fire, a messenger of your divine will! Let him serve you until the end of time, when all blood slows and all fires burn low. Let him then come forth with your mighty host and purge the world with your Holy Fire, and let him sow the seeds of a new race that shall reign for eternity in a paradise of your making!

(priest turns to the crowd and throws up his arms)

Blood for the Blood God!

(crowd)

Blood for the Blood God!

(people disperse for the feast afterwards)

Ritual for The solstices(low sacrifice, precedes high sacrifice)

When the sun peeks over the horizon, you shall take from each of your herds one of the finest beasts you possess. You shall bath it in water sanctified by a priest, and then. When noontime comes, you shall take the ritual knife and make one clean cut across the neck. Catch every last drop of the blood that pours forth. Two hours before the high sacrifice, build a raging bonfire, made of hardwood and herbs for sweetness of scent. At one hour before the high sacrifice, you shall pour the life blood of the beasts upon the fire, to prepare it to receive the blood of Armok’s chosen. The bodies of the beasts shall them be put on separate fires, to be cooked for the feast.

(high ritual occurs)

During the feast, let each person partake of a bite of the sanctified meat. If there is some left over, let it be given to the women, for they shall need its strength to bear the children of Armok.

(after the high ritual)

The ashes and bones of the child shall be gathered together and placed in an urn. These shall be given to the family of the child, who shall put them on display in a place where all might see how they have sacrificed to Armok, that they have lost to make us greater.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile

I will have time after to class to come by and polish these up, if you guys want. I am not a English major, but I love to write.

Hail They Got Leader, preist editor of Armoks sacred Grimoire?
-
these are all drafts, we need a dwarf wiki page, ill try set one up and link it here when ive got permission or such forth.

Cry Armok! And let loose the cats of war!
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile

"In the early days since the creation of the races, The Great Toad would watch his work unfold for the glory of Armok. But he noticed something amazing, and entirely unprecedented. As each race invented their own deities, they would be born unto the world. Whilst lacking any real power, the very fact these deities even exist confused The Great Toad. He even found that magma, the chosen weapon of the one true Armok, had no affect on them.

And The Great Toad did utter one simple phrase: "Still better than those bloody cats.""
Dwarven Math:

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile

a consensus of basic facts so far:

Armok created the worlds and the players. All players are under the great toady one and are created during the sacrafice of dwarven children and animals in the mountain homes -lets edit that lore to a blessing for new expeditions, instead of once a year, were not elves afterall-
The Magma sea is the blood of Armok, and the rock his body -bit like old norse mythos realy- that will rise again at the grand cataclysm at the end of time -ragnarok reference, end of the world clause is always required- dwarfs who become heros go to dwarfhalla.

The religion of Armok worship is carried out primarily on the battle feild, but also in the form of monuments like mega projects and in fey moods.
generaly, every time the world is created it is infested by evil etc, and it is the players sole goal to eliminate this evil as servants of Armok. Though if they actualy do is their choice. So long as the blood flows in worship.

-underlines----------------

continue everyone! ^^ the storys and lines will have their place, im just stitching together a general consensus/structure. well have to have this as the first book of Armok, and create more books for the Grimoire a bit like religious books these days are made (ie Timothy 1:1 Mathew 1:1 and what not in the bible). If your contributuions are used ill make sure to put your names in and put a structure of time line between the books. please continue, the material so far is brilliant.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile

Book of Urist: Verse XX (To be determined later)

"On the afterlife: The Great Toad gazed upon his charge and found life to be fleeting. With the wheel of time came death, whether natural (Extremly unlikely) or mishap (Almost certain), every living bieng is eventually extinguished. For the Humans, Armok created a paradise. Lands filled with gatherings of a sexual nature and plentiful luxuries. It was indeed a place for humans to spend their eternal rest. For the Elves, it was the sacred forest. A land surrounded in mist and filled with tree's taller than any that would ever grace the lands of the living, where the Elves could dance gayley amongst their own, and gorge on the plentiful flesh of fallen enemies from life. The Gobins, due to their violent nature, would arrive at the obsidian citadel, where they would never work and would be locked in eternal glorious battle. The Kobolds too, would arrive at the obsidian gates, to find a wealth of useless riches for them to partake.

Most interesting of all were the Dwarves. As favored children of Armok, they would spend their eternity in his palace. By day, they would revel in glorious battles against former foes, whilst at night they would partake in great feasts and merriment amongst their ancestors. By morning this cycle would repeat itself.

But in order to proceed past the Adamantine gates of the afterlife, it was decreed by The Great Toad that each Dwarf must hold a monument to their name, whether it be by grave or slab. Else, they must return to the realm of the living to see that this is done. Many a dwarven ghost is infuriated by this, which can cause much damage and distress amongst the living."

Book of World Gen (Part 2):

"The Great Toad looked upon his new charge, the creations of Armok milled forth. After which, he populated the world with new creatures, the lieks of which none had ever seen. Great Dragons were hatched, and stalked the lands. Giants, Ettins and even the fabled Bronze Collossi roamed free, preseting new challenges for the sapient races. For as hard as The Great Toad would try, Sapience was beyond his power. The feel of Hiddenifious' power would still seep through from below, granting sapience to primitive biengs such as the Troglodytes, and even twisting the fungal Plump Helmets into walking biengs.

All was well, and this would signify the arrival of the divine ones. Armoks chosen "Players" within the game of life, who would descend from the Twelfth Bay and guide the dwarves to their destiny. At times they would also be charged with granting Adventurers the skill and guidance needed to succeed. The Great Toad even witnessed other Divine Ones changing their appointed lands, adding new species, new rocks and metals, and even changing the very fabric of their chosen races. Indeed, Armok had seen fit to grant these Divine Ones with free will, and abilities beyond even the plans of the Great Toad."

With this, I've tried to add in many RL elements to the mix, such as modding. Basically my idea is that each "world" we gen, isn't actually a world, but a portion of it. Notice we can gen large/small/medium islands and regions, but not entire continents or worlds. So essentially everyones game takes place on the same "world" in this story :)   
Dwarven Math:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7