Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527675 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Leaving ground.
« Reply #8400 on: November 05, 2013, 08:26:26 pm »

Dom sighed. Apparently neither Ashley nor Emily felt like answering her. She decided to go ahead with the whole make-up kit thing since nothing else was going on.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: November 07, 2013, 01:09:53 pm »

Dom sighed. Apparently neither Ashley nor Emily felt like answering her.

((Sorry for not catching this earlier. I am a terrible person. I should be flogged, I should be punished, I have stolen from my brother Nuumsi!))

The ships internal speakers crackle fuzzily as Emily comes online. "Teras station is the location that a Jeffrey Wakeman, listed as spouse to a Dominique Wakeman, was requested to be transferred from. It is reasonable to conclude that this is your husband, but it will not be certain unless we can extract a blood sample. Without a blood sample there is a measurable probability, on the order of one ten-billionth, that this is not your husband. There is an accessible file on local storage if you would like to review." Emily sounds as if she's trying to break bad news gently, completely ignoring the fact that the odds she's talking about are unimaginably low.
    "We will be breaking atmosphere shortly," Emily adds after a moment, her tone becoming a cheery and amiable again. "For your awareness, the auxiliary life support systems were scrapped for parts, emergency supplies were removed to make room for the alcohol, and there are no additional exits. In the even of atmospheric failure, I am aware of no mitigating circumstances." Emily's voice, once again completely missing the context of what she's saying, remains sunny. "I await any concerns either of you might have."
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: November 07, 2013, 01:38:45 pm »

"Right, thanks. Can you give me the file?" Dom asked. If Ashley wanted to ask anything, she could do so afterward. As for the rest, nothing she could do about it, although she did wonder why Taric would give her the shuttle that he took the auxiliary life support system from. That would make it a lot harder to guarantee she'd make it back if anything weird happened.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:40:17 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: November 08, 2013, 07:34:02 pm »

((sorry for absence, whats going on?))
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Nunzillor

« Reply #8404 on: November 08, 2013, 11:49:18 pm »

((Have your character ask your question aloud and a crappy false AI will let you know))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: November 09, 2013, 01:35:27 am »

((Have your character ask your question aloud and a crappy false AI will let you know))

((Emily isn't crappy, ans she's not an AI!))

((sorry for absence, whats going on?))

((Pretty much literally nothing new since your last post. Ashley, her compatriots, and Dominique are on a shuttle, currently headed to the Teras research station. Ashley has not given the co-ordinates necessary to find the conclave station.))

"Right, thanks. Can you give me the file?" Dom asked. If Ashley wanted to ask anything, she could do so afterward. As for the rest, nothing she could do about it, although she did wonder why Taric would give her the shuttle that he took the auxiliary life support system from. That would make it a lot harder to guarantee she'd make it back if anything weird happened.

"Of course," Emily assures you. "Information has been transferred to a mobile unit located in the starboard charging sink."
   A light flashes in the starboard side of the lounge area, right where the passenger area necks down to the cockpit. Upon further investigation, you find a tray with a number of charging ports for datapads. Six of the fifteen slots have datapads in them, and one of them has just been turned on.
    [Intuition 20] You pick it up and seek out the file that Emily referred to while you wonder why Taric gave you a shuttle this stripped. You don't realize you voiced the question until Emily answers you. "Lord Sizier had all non-primary life support systems stripped for his project in the hotlabs. This included shuttles and non-essential floors." 

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Nunzillor

« Reply #8406 on: November 09, 2013, 07:48:01 am »

Well, not a true AI, yes.  But she is an AI by current standards (ie she emulates intelligence and understanding).  Also, you have to admit she is a little dense at times insofar as she has great difficulty parsing metaphors and choosing the appropriate meaning of a given statement in context.

Edited for great justice
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:36:11 pm by Nunzillor »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: November 09, 2013, 06:39:01 pm »

(Well, yeah. As I said before, she's not even artificially intelligent. She's artificially social, like Journalism majors*. She's like the search engines that benignly log your browsing history for future advertisement targeting while you're looking up whether ferrets really do die if they don't have sex. She does what she's programmed to do, without the sense given to brain damaged mules.)

((*I apologize to Journalism Majors for this joke.))

((So, funny story, I have everyone's turn. (I can assume Dominique's main turn is the same unless otherwise noted), so lets begin.))

EDIT: And I somehow managed to forget that I don't have an action for Ashley yet. Silly me. Well, anyway, James found out that armor piercing weapons pierce armor, so that's at least a good learning experience for him.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:25:57 pm by Draignean »
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: November 09, 2013, 08:30:48 pm »

((yaaaaaaaay
also, I have no armour piercers, this is a case of my luck backfiring as usual isn't it))
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:37:36 pm by Powder Miner »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: November 10, 2013, 12:47:25 am »

((It's not a good sign for someone, that's for sure.))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: November 10, 2013, 01:21:58 am »

((yaaaaaaaay
also, I have no armour piercers, this is a case of my luck backfiring as usual isn't it))

((You both have weapons with armor piercing traits, in point of fact.))
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: November 10, 2013, 08:15:46 am »

((Oh. Well... this'll get fun.
Although I somehow doubt the Iris is an armor piercer. Maybe.))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: November 11, 2013, 01:58:35 am »

((Oh. Well... this'll get fun.
Although I somehow doubt the Iris is an armor piercer. Maybe.))

((Irin, and it's a particle weapon so it actually does have armor piercing properties.))

((Became extraordinarily bored waiting for Wolfchild and, in a fit of not wanting to study for my engineering physics exam, designed this.
Spoiler: BEHOLD, THE FUTURE! (click to show/hide)
Each contains 18 or 22 (Oddly, it just worked out to 22 in the case of characters. That number has a life of its own.) lines of text. I wrote a program that reads the .d22 files, extracts the information (Damage, range breaks, recoil, etc in the case of weapons and Dexterity, Mobility, Marksman, etc in the case of characters), then feeds them into excel. Excel then takes the raw line data, chops it up until it's useful, then parses the weapon and character data together with a few user given quantities and feeds it into all of my attack programs.

The practical upshot is that all I have to do is type the range, the cover value, any misc bonus that I want to apply, the weapon name, the character name, and the type of attack, and I get all the resulting data back out. That may sound complicated, but it beats the hell out of switching between pages to hunt down exactly what James' quickshot bonus is when using a Jormungadr assault rifle at a range of 13RI.))
---

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: November 11, 2013, 06:00:46 am »

((Cool beans. Got a question about it though: Does it handle psionic powers and abilities? True, that may not be required for it's primary purpose, namely doing all the math stuff for firing guns, but I'm curious to see if it does handle them.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: November 12, 2013, 12:00:29 am »

Dom closed her eyes. Those technocrat bastards. Whatever he had been up to on Earth that he hadn't told her about - and it was entirely possible he wasn't even up to anything; she'd believe the technocrats would take anyone if they felt like it - it wasn't worth being taken here, experimented on, beaten. Maybe he was still holding out mentally, but she had to accept that if she wasn't the same person anymore, he might not be either. She had to figure out everything that had happened here, and what she needed to do about it. She didn't think a Harlequin would have the authority to shut the whole project down, and that would attract WAY too much attention to her alias.

Jesus. How was she going to go about this? Maybe just take a few people at random and make sure he was one of them. Sneaking him out would be better but she didn't think it would be an option. Besides, his absence would be noticed and likely commented upon. And going in shooting? Well, that was a last resort. If she had to do that then it was likely she was already dead and just playing out the string. Yeah. Taking a small group would be best.

Turn Addendum: "Emily, do you have any more dossiers on the... test subjects at Teras Station, and can you recommend a few that might be suitable for transferring out?"
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 602