Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 528199 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22 (Sci-Fi RTD) Chapter I, OH GOD, THE TEXT!
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2011, 04:13:43 am »

Find the lab

three points into passive empathetics, two into passive kinetics.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:38:20 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2011, 04:30:42 am »

Four points to Passive Kinetics, one point to Active Kinetics. And while no plot is fun, a plot is better. 8)

Dom sat on the edge of her bed, swinging her legs idly. She hadn't noticed any real difference from the orientation yet, but maybe it just took time. Or maybe her psionics were... what was the term she'd heard? Passive? Whatever, it just meant that she didn't have to think about it, they would sort themselves out as necessary. Still, she was curious as to what she could do.

She looked at her old jumpsuit, torn and slightly bloody, laying on the floor next to the bed. People in movies move stuff with their mind like all the time. Maybe I can now. She concentrated on the green cloth, trying to lift it onto the bed with force of will alone.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 17, 2011, 03:07:24 pm »

Okay updating Psionic abilities, these are pretty flexible so feel free to improvise with them.

Kinetics (Active)

Telekinesis: Simple fine work kinetics. Telekinesis is a very controlled branch of kinetics, used for things that require more dexterity than strength. Like having a set of invisible hands.

Stamina cost and difficulty: 1/4 Object weight for objects under 50 pounds, no difficult modifier. 1/3 for Objects 50-100lbs and the get a -1 modifier, and 1/2 for above weights in addition to a -2 modifier. So moving a 20lb piece of metal would cost 5 Stamina, while fine control of a 250 pound human (Who couldn't use psionics) would cost 125 Stamina and be at a -2 modifier.

Slam: Crude and brutal, Slams are the roundhouse punch of the psionic. Technically defined as 'Unfocused manifestations of mental energy', a well placed Slam can shatter bones and rupture organs. When controlled to a smaller focus they can achieve dramatic results. Due to their complete and total lack of finesse greater raw force can be achieved with slams than through Telekinesis.

Stamina cost and Difficulty: 5 Stamina for every kN (200lbs Roughly) of force exerted. Difficulty increases with how tightly you control the burst, a 5' blast is no difficulty modifier, 3' is -1, and 1' is -2. (Example, Ricky is going to break Bobs neck. He slams with 2Kn of force on a 1' area centered on Bob's head. So he expends 10 stamina and gets a -2 modifier to his kinetics roll.)

Pyrokinesis: Pyro-kinesis is dangerous to the user, difficult to control, and incredibly deadly. The psionic effectively accelerates the molecular structure of an area, resulting in heat, and more often than not, fire.

Stamina cost and Difficulty: 10 Stamina for every 100 degrees centigrade raised per turn. Difficulty is based on the material being heated. Metal, other dense material -0, Cloth, wood, plastic, etc -1, Air and most other gasses -2. Other penalties may apply for the size of the object and or the refinement of the work.

Blade: A refined tool of destruction, a blade of psionic energy can shear someone in half, cut through vehicle armor, or Ginsu a tomato. Blades are the most difficult type of Kinetics to master, and among the deadliest. Blade refers to any sharp psionic object, a pointed lance of energy considered a blade, as is the more commonly that of shearing disc.

Stamina Cost and Difficulty: Unlike other Kinetics making a blade starts at a -1 modifier. Every kN of force put into a blade requires 10 Stamina. A half-inch focus is -1 difficult, a quarter inch is -2, and an eighth inch focus is at -3

Wall: A wall conveniently does what the name implies, it stonewalls physical objects. The technique is useful when you need to isolate an explosion, protect yourself from Kinetics, or get some additional cover in a fire fight. A wall is less effective against most energy weapons, and generally not a solid defense against anything large enough to take down a vehicle.

Stamina cost and Difficulty: Creating a 7' by 7' barrier costs 5 stamina, an additional 1 point each round thereafter +1 point for each distinct impact on the Wall. Wall hardness determines the difficulty, 25 layer Kevlar -0, 1/2" steel sheet -1, 1" steel sheet. -2.

(Most of this is abstract, a 1" steel sheet for instance will behave like a powered battle suit.) 

Empathetics to come, then the passives.

Also feel free to get all creative and stuff, but doing two psionics at once puts both at a -1 penalty. Still there are great advantages to this, like throwing a handful of bullets down a corridor, orienting them the same direction using telekinesis, and then firing them all at once with a quick shot of pyro-kinesis.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2011, 04:05:07 pm »

So wait, I get a 5 roll after my guy panics severely? Goddamn, the RNG is messing around with me. I can tell it's just trying so badly to get me to use Psionics. :P

5 points into Passive Kinetics. Why not.

"...Wow, that was anti-climatic."

I'm hungry. Go to the mess hall.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Trollan

• Bay Watcher
  • O hai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 17, 2011, 05:35:05 pm »

+3 to active empathetics, +2 passive empathetics.
Just eat at the mess hall, then sleep for a while

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2011, 06:01:39 pm »

We're assuming you've already slept and have just awoken, so sleeping again would be a waste time. I'll give you a little time to change your action then I'll run the turn.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 17, 2011, 07:53:44 pm »

A MAP! (Okay, it's not a great map. It'll do.)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

Character: Trol Grane

Just eat at the mess hall, then sleep for a while

Your dreams were not pleasant ones. Your mind tries to give some order to what happened at the relativity sphere, you wake feeling drawn. Not tired... just drawn. You don't know how else to explain it.  eh, Food will probably help. You get out of bed and pull on the black jumpsuit they left for you, wearing the insignia of the unchained still feels a little odd, but at the very least the clothes are clean. You leave with Tarran to go grab some food. [Intuition roll 2, Tarran intuition 2] Neither of you has a clue where it is, and after several wrong turns and double-backs Tarran eventually finds someone and asks directions. He doesn't get great ones and you spend another ten minutes hunting the place down, by the time you get there you've managed an impressive hunger. [Luck roll 2] Apparently you arrived late for the meal and there isn't much left, Tarran talks to one of the people who have been managing the food and she slaps him. You wonder what he said. Well, looks like both of you will have to be content with half rations for now. [Observation 4] You overhear a conversation at a table behind you, a pair of officers talking about a problem with 'Loyalists' and 'Independents'. You don't get a lot out of it but it sounds like both of them are trying to wrest control of the outpost from the Unchained.

No longer Hungry, no longer thirsty.

Spoiler: Trol Grane (click to show/hide)

---

Character: Tarran Smith

"...Wow, that was anti-climatic."

I'm hungry. Go to the mess hall.

You wake from your strange dreams thinking that a few funny dreams are an awful tiny thing for something that had an "if you survive" attached to it. Eh, it had certainly been weird as hell at the time but most of what happened is a blurred stretch of memory that you can't quite grip. "Wow, that was anti-climatic." You mumble to the ceiling guess after outrunning a fusion explosion not much can get under your skin. You think about sleeping in a little, but then your stomach grumbles, reminding you that your last meal was in a different solar system. Trol is already up and out of his bunk, and after realizing that you're both starving you decide to hit the mess hall together. [Tarran Intuition roll 2, Trol intuition 2] After trying to find it for several minutes you come to the conclusion that whoever built this place was certifiably insane. You stop to ask directions [Speech roll 2+1] and get a general hand wave and some very fuzzy directions. Another ten minutes of walking finally gets you to the mess. [Luck roll 2] If you hadn't spent twenty minutes being lost there might have been more food, but as it is there isn't too much left but scrapings. Maybe you can charm one of the chefs... [speech roll 2] You inquire about getting a little something extra for you and your friend, she slaps you. You fear there has been a breakdown of communication. Eh, Half rations isn't so bad. You settle down with Trol and dig into what there is with a vengeance, after a minute he elbows you and tells you about a conversation at another table. As if there weren't enough crazy people in the world.

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

---

Character: Dominique Wakeman

Dom sat on the edge of her bed, swinging her legs idly. She hadn't noticed any real difference from the orientation yet, but maybe it just took time. Or maybe her psionics were... what was the term she'd heard? Passive? Whatever, it just meant that she didn't have to think about it, they would sort themselves out as necessary. Still, she was curious as to what she could do.

She looked at her old jumpsuit, torn and slightly bloody, laying on the floor next to the bed. People in movies move stuff with their mind like all the time. Maybe I can now. She concentrated on the green cloth, trying to lift it onto the bed with force of will alone.

After you get up you just think for a bit, your dreams were weird as all, but that isn't a sign for the sudden appearance of extraordinary powers. Still... Why else would they have put you through it? You stare at the old jumpsuit that you changed out of, Joseph said stuff about killing people with this stuff, lifting it should be easier than that. You focus on it, and something in the back of your mind clicks. This feels, familiar... It feels right. [telekinetics Roll 3] A little unsteadily your old jumpsuit rises from the floor, it doesn't really surprise you. The part of you that got locked away after the Sphere knew this would happen, an action as simple as unclenching your hands. The jumpsuit hovers gently over to the bed and deposits itself beside you. Huh. Maybe Joseph wasn't totally crazy after all. Stamina -2

Spoiler: Domninique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

---

Character: Taric Sizier

Find the lab

You swing yourself out of bed and dress before Trol and Tarran wake up, to hell with the fact that the last meal you ate was an apple on earth. You've got a problem you can understand and work on, which you think might be more than what you can do elsewhere. You head out for the labs, it'll be nice to be around people who work on machines and aren't afraid to get caught doing it.  [Intuition Roll 3] You look around for a bit but after ten minutes where the only place you manage to find is the mess hall you decide to tag along with someone with a datapad and a broken piece of machinery. [Luck roll 4] Your tactic of following someone who looks like they know their way around pays off, the make a couple more stops but in the end they wind up in the labs. The labs are actually part of the garage, a repair shop by the looks of it. Six or seven people are working on various machine parts while another three are at terminals reviewing programs. You almost at home here.

Spoiler: Tarric Sizier (click to show/hide)
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 17, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »

"Herm. Well, it's none of our business right now. 'Sides, I don't have a gun, so the best I could do is punch people. Though thinking about it, maybe punching people's not so bad... Ehh, not willing to take chances. I'm going to look around for an Armory. You can come if you want."

Look around the base for an Armory.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2011, 08:35:00 pm »

Dom folded the jumpsuit and left it on the bunk. ...Guess everyone already got up and went about their business, she thought. Maybe I'd better get breakfast, too. She was hungry as hell, like she always was in the morning, but that little test had put an edge on it. There might be a map or somethin' around here. I don't really wanna wander the halls for an hour looking for the cafeteria. If she couldn't find one, though, she'd just have to trust her intuition.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 17, 2011, 11:16:01 pm »

What would you like to train when/if you get there?

For attributes you can train,

Str
Dex
End
Will

For skills you can train

Kinetics (All)
Empathetics (All)
Melee
Marksman
Soaking
Brawling

It costs 15 Stamina to train, It will take several succesful training sessions to gain a point in a skill.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:17:33 pm by Draignean »
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 17, 2011, 11:16:56 pm »

Ask for a rifle, and explain my upgrades on the broadbeam rifles
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:25:28 pm by Taricus »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 17, 2011, 11:20:48 pm »

Uh...

You might want you you know, acquire one first.

You can try asking if the Lab has one that you can use, but you'll have a slight penalty to your speech check. (A stranger walks into the lab and asks for a gun to take apart, unless he has a damn good idea you're probably not going to give him one.)

You could also get one from the Signifer at the cost of some of your Requisition credits. (Which you will be given by the Signifer for your achievements.)

Also I didn't mention this earlier but the Signifer is the equivalent of a Quartermaster, with weapons as well as armor.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:26:02 pm by Draignean »
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2011, 01:11:53 am »

Character: Taric Sizier

Ask for a rifle, and explain my upgrades on the broadbeam rifles

As you enter one of the people in the lab who's working on what looks like a suit of body armor notices you and walks towards you, scowling. Well he might be scowling, the half healed gash running from the corner of his mouth down to his collarbone makes it hard to tell. Then he addresses you. "Hey you, you're too damn clean to be one o'mine. Who the hell are you, and what are you doing here?" Yeah he was definitely scowling before. [speech roll 4-1 situation] You explain your profession and your idea for the Broadbeams, he listens to your idea. He ruined face attempts to form something other than a scowl and fails miserably. "Well, an offworld mech, that'll be the day. Look, I aint in the practice of giving strangers bits of value and letting 'em screw with them. You help me, an' I'll let you borrow one of the broadbeams we've been working with. I still think you're to goddamn clean to be a real mechanic." He motions for you to follow him back into the 'lab' and he shows you the set of armor he's been working on, he favors the armor with his omnipresent scowl. "This piece of beauty is being coy with my me and my best-" Oh wait, you realize he was trying to smile at it. "-but she just won't hold a charge. The last person to wear her got a shock to the curlies like you wouldn't believe, bastard is still in medical. You fix it up, and I'll let you work on whatever you want." You consider for a moment, and decide to take him up on it.

You roll up the cuffs on the jumpsuit and set to work. [Int roll 4] As you start poking around under the plating you realize you've seen this before, EM field generators used to contain and disperse radiation. [Intuition roll 2+1] You really don't have any idea where to start, you know just enough to not poke something important by accident. [Repair roll 6+1] Hmm... You don't think that's the way it went originally but it's worth a shot. You splice some wires and replace a couple of heavy capacitors, you run a diagnostic and everything appears sound. You have a sudden inspiration, and you wire the main power feed directly into the central coil. Facial-scar is standing behind you as you power the armor up. It begins to hum gently and a soft golden glow permeates the armor. "Goddam it kid, I didn't think you ha-" The armor suddenly makes a popping sound as the splice you made into the coil connects, the golden glow on the armor brightens considerably and white streaks dance across the surface. Facial-scar raises an eyebrow at you, and grabs a wrench off the table and swings it into the armor. The glow around the armor flashes several different colors and the wrench is hurled away with enough force to put a dent in the steel wall, Facial-scar is holding the wrist that used to be clutching the wrench and staring at you. You can't tell what emotion other than hideous he's displaying. "In all the fucking hells I've never seen anything like that. Damn it kid, if you show me how you just did that I'll fight Praetor Morgan for his own damn rifle. Whatever you need, if this place has it, you've got it." You explain what you did, several times, to many people, before you manage to get to work on your own project. [Mechanics roll 6+1] You're on a hot streak, and you manage to isolate the components you'll need to make the modifications you have planned much sooner than you anticipated. You ask around and Facial-scar barks out orders, in a matter of minutes you'll have the parts you need to make the ALR Broadbeam.

Prisms, laser rangefinder, microservos, and scrap metal added. For being a badass and dramatically helping the Unchained improve their armor you get +1 To reputation with the unchained.     

Research note dicarded. Two upgrade notes added.

Spoiler: Upgrade Notes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarric Sizier (click to show/hide)

---

Character: Tarran Smith

Look around the base for an Armory.

You ask around the mess for the location of an armory [Speech roll 4+1] and one of the officers Trol overheard turns over to you. "We don't have a real one, bastard independents got it. You see, after we took the station out of the hands of the Technocrats it got split in three. We got the lions share, the comms, the garage, and the central dome. The shitless technocrats that we didn't wipe out got the administration section to the west, the independents got the armory and the primary training facilities one east side." He dusts himself off. "The Signifer should be able to set you up with what we have though, he's at the base of the observation tower at the garage."

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

---

Character: Dominique Wakeman

Dom folded the jumpsuit and left it on the bunk. ...Guess everyone already got up and went about their business, she thought. Maybe I'd better get breakfast, too. She was hungry as hell, like she always was in the morning, but that little test had put an edge on it. There might be a map or somethin' around here. I don't really wanna wander the halls for an hour looking for the cafeteria. If she couldn't find one, though, she'd just have to trust her intuition.

You cast about for a map of some kind, [Luck 2] but no such luck. Still, you're starving and you're sure you can follow your nose there. [Intuition 3+1] You don't smell anything but you manage to find the mess within five minutes. [Luck 3] Eh... Not a lot left but whatever works. You grab some food and dig in. [Failed roll not shown]

Spoiler: Domninique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

----

Character: Trol Grane

Go to the training area, train

[Speech roll 5] A cheery young woman already on her way there takes you there, and you arrive in the main room in a few minutes. The room isn't as tall as the one in orientation but it's bigger in every other aspect, it's also filled with people who's principle form of recreation involves honing their combat abilities. There is wrestling, knife fighting, several sets dueling psionics, a makeshift speed shooting range, and a dozen other things. [Luck roll 4] You decide to work on this whole Psychic thing, and you pair off with a short man for a mental duel. [Trol empathetics 3+1, 3, 5+1, 5+1] Vs. [Unchained mentalist 5+1, 4, 4, 3] He gets a better start at this while you're still fumbling your way through it, a grown man finding his way to a favorite place of his childhood. Everything is the same, and yet more different than seems possible. You pull your defence together though and return with a devastating onslaught, after a few minutes of silent struggle the man raises his hand palm up, yielding. Even though you didn't move you still retreat to set of benches in the middle area to sit down for a few minutes, despite only having the talent just unlocked you feel the duel went very well. -15 Stamina

Active Empathetics + 2/8ths

Spoiler: Trol Grane (click to show/hide)
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2011, 01:21:06 am »

Go to the mess hall and get some food

We've the upper hand now, reactive shield armour AND better rifles  :D
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 602