Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 528192 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22 (Sci-Fi RTD) Chapter I, and then it exploded.
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:59 pm »

Free Actions

Tarran

Interrupt Dominique's conversation "I would let it down, then kill the pilot."

"*Cough*, uh, I haven't introduced myself. Name's Tarran Smith, I'm on your side, I'm a freedom fighter. As proof, I've killed Harold Szero and Tamika Bock. I've also done a bunch of other crap too that managed to get me face-to-face with a freaking Arbiter."

"Oh, and if you guys ever had a dealer named Marcus; he's dead now, I killed him. He sold me out to the Arbiter and got me into this mess."

[Tarran Speech roll 4+1] Joseph takes his helmet off and sighs. "It would have been nice to avoid collateral damage, but there was no way to just 'let him down' without the risk of some Technocrat getting on the line for the five seconds necessary to destroy everything we worked for." He shrugs and settles back. "The lives of everyone on that shuttle, in exchange for a certainty that the Technocrats didn't ass rape us when we turned around. The commander made the right call, if me and mine had been captives on that shuttle instead of you it would still be the right call." A brief silence follows that comment, but Joseph quickly waves it off. "On from the darker musings though, I've heard the name Harold Szero, it's good that someone pushed the fat ass off the lifeboat as it were. I never had a lot to do with the dealers, still it is unfortunate that one of them was turned and killed." He grins mirthlessly. "Murdering Szero was a good blow, but they don't send Arbiters after little things like murder. If an arbiter was sent for you then he was sent because of what you are, the same reason you and your companions were being diverted to this facility." Hey lays back in the chair, waiting the obvious question. 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2011, 05:03:21 pm »

Dominique glanced over at Tarran, then back to Joseph. "Fine. I still don't know what you want with us, but whatever." She leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes. Tarran sounded like he was much better with speaking than her anyway, and he was one of them. He had a better chance of getting help from them than she did.
Just wait; I'll roll a 1 on my speech and luck roll. Just you wait. :P

(Alternate Timeline: [Tarran Speech roll 1] "Oh, and if you guys ever had a dealer named Marcus; he's dead now, I killed him." a pause follows and then Joseph begins beating you to death with his helmet screaming that Marcus was his brother.)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2011, 05:11:30 pm »

:D

Wow, perfect 5.

"Because of what I am? Hurh? What are we?"
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2011, 05:26:38 pm »

Joseph looks at you hard for a moment, and the takes a pistol clip from his belt and puts it on the top his left hand, palm up. "To one degree or another you are the same as everyone who was sent to that facility. You are a deviation-22, you are a psionic." The clip in his hand floats into the air, several rounds tick out of it and form an interlocking loop. "Personally I prefer just shooting people, but you have to admit there is an advantage to having a weapon that cannot be seen, and can never be taken from you." The bullets click back into the clip and Joseph nestles it back into his HE suit. "That was a parlor trick, I saw one of our men split a Guard in half before he could lay a hand on a weapon, I've seen a half dozen of their Wardens bind together and fucking mind control an entire platoon of our men until one of our Praetors set them on fire and broke their focus. This is why you were sent here, because you are a threat to Church of the Virgin World, but when properly trained and suitably brainwashed you are an asset more powerful than any of their technology."

He lets this sink in.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »

"Mmm? Psionics? Are they honestly afraid of me because of psionics? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to mind control a fly. I thought they'd sent me for being a good shot. Or something else. But not psionics."
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2011, 05:48:08 pm »

Test out psionic powers by forming shapes with dust

You focus on the dust that got locked into the vehicle with you and try to make shapes. You concentrate... Hard.

Harder

HARDER

HARDER!!

As your face goes purple from effort the two soldiers in the back start shaking with laugher and even Joseph is chuckling. "You're going to burst a blood vessel kid, you won't have conscious control until after... orientation was what they called it.  It's more like having a cheese grater thrown at your brain though."

"Mmm? Psionics? Are they honestly afraid of me because of psionics? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to mind control a fly. I thought they'd sent me for being a good shot. Or something else. But not psionics."

You break in after Joseph is done admonishing Trol. Joseph nods. "I felt the same way, it's impossible and crazy. Tell me though, haven't you ever simply felt when something is going to work before it happens? Felt what someone is feeling before they show it? Psionics who get in a lot of scrapes often develop a heightened awareness that most people just mistake for good instincts.  Trust me, the Technocracy hasn't made a mistake yet, and if you were being sent here then are a psionic if only just. You may have killed some people, and you may have been the best damn shot there ever was. If you were only that though you'd be strung up, tortured, forced to confess publicly, and humiliated for the purpose of maintaining control." He shifts his glance from each of you in turn.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2011, 05:52:40 pm »

"Eh. Doubt I'll ever use it. Anyway, how long until we get to your base? I'm starting to get a little sore."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2011, 05:56:50 pm »

Joseph smiles, "Not long, but I think you'll use every edge you have before the end."

(I'll give everyone else a chance to talk, when everyone is ready we'll arrive.)

((Also, before you make any resolutions against Psionics remember that what you did to align your shot in the Hydroponics bay and what Dom used to feel someone about to shoot her in the back are both branches of Psionics. Besides as a freedom fighter you get a bonus to Kinetics.))
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2011, 06:04:07 pm »

Ah, so that's what Kinetics was for.

I aligned my shot? When? I just used aiming and dexterity.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2011, 06:14:05 pm »

All of you got a single use of psionics throughout the tutorial, you and Dom got kinetics, while trol and Taric got empathetics (Theirs are hidden under 'Failed roll not shown' though.  :-\ )

Your Psionic moment was
Alright you've got one shot at this, [Kinetics Roll 4+1 you lucky bastard] you can almost feel the shot line up as you fire. [Quickshot roll 3+2 Kinetics boost] You catch the Deadhead Mid-air as he leaps to bash your brains in (Deadhead -35 CPU),
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2011, 06:18:26 pm »

All of you got a single use of psionics throughout the tutorial, you and Dom got kinetics, while trol and Taric got empathetics (Theirs are hidden under 'Failed roll not shown' though.  :-\ )

Your Psionic moment was
Alright you've got one shot at this, [Kinetics Roll 4+1 you lucky bastard] you can almost feel the shot line up as you fire. [Quickshot roll 3+2 Kinetics boost] You catch the Deadhead Mid-air as he leaps to bash your brains in (Deadhead -35 CPU),
So... 2/3 people that will likely use Psionics failed while me, the person who doesn't plan on using it, gets a 5?

The RNG has a weird sense of humor.

Anyway, what's the trigger for Psionics anyway? Because that action looks like it should have had a dexterity bonus instead, personally.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2011, 06:23:28 pm »

In the prologue the trigger was stress, you had to make that shot or get hit in the head with a club. You have a 1/2 chance (From your dex) to gain a +1 bonus to your quickshot. You failed the bonus roll. Otherwise you would have had a massive +1+2 bonus.

Later (Soon) you'll be able to consciously control it, if with difficulty.

---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »

Oh, so it's stress?

Well, I won't use Psionics actively, that's for sure. But if those situations require psionics... Then whatever, I'll use them.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »

Oh, so it's stress?

Well, I won't use Psionics actively, that's for sure. But if those situations require psionics... Then whatever, I'll use them.

I don't think I'll ever require psionics out of you, and you'll get to spend more on your other abilities if you don't choose to use them. Just remember that those instances in the beginning were gimmies, so don't expect a nice free boost every time you're in trouble. The odds of it happening again is low, particularly after orientation.
---
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 602