Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148175 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1560 on: June 22, 2013, 12:33:20 am »

Ninja'd

Well, I don't have PvP, so it sounds pretty useful for PvE in NG+

NG+ so far has been pitifully easy. 2-shotted the Assylum demon, and 9 minutes later I'm at the bonfire in the Undead Parish, having killed the Titanite demon in the basement. I imagine the difficulty will ramp up again once I reach Anor Londo, though. And perhaps I should just steer clear of upper Blighttown in this run...

About how much extra content is in the DLC? Now that I know everything to do, NG+ will probably be pretty short.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: June 22, 2013, 12:37:15 am »

The DLC contains, in my opinion, some of the most challenging and fun bosses the game has to offer. There's also a few really nice looking armour sets and weapons, along with the aforementioned abyss magic. You should definitely get it if you have the money to spare.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 22, 2013, 12:52:47 am »

Anything light but great? Also, approximately how long does it take?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: June 22, 2013, 01:22:34 am »

You mean light armour? Yeah, there are two sets you can get, they're both fairly unique and one even comes with a stylish top hat. I don't know how they stack up resistance-wise, but the resistances for light armour are generally so low that you may as well dress for looks.

As for length, I'd say it's about as long as you would take to get two or three of the lord souls after you get the lordvessel, and the level design is far better than some others I could name *cough*Izalith*cough.
There are four bosses and three major areas so it should take you a decent amount of time to get through it all.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: June 22, 2013, 01:25:09 am »

Bigger than the Giant's Tomb, I hope? Now that was a small area, albeit overcompensating for it in frustration.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: June 22, 2013, 01:31:57 am »

The dark magic is overall a bit different. It doesn't deal magic damage and it's slower, so it's probably not as good for PvE. It's dreadful in PvP.

I'm gonna assume you don't mean dreadful as in underpowered.  I have Dark Bead on my Murakumo Quality build, since he's a gravelord he needs the aoe and most people don't seem to expect dark magic on an obvious choppy type of guy.  If they're melee range and not blocking it's a free stagger and a free melee-range stagger with the murakumo is gg
Shoes...

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: June 22, 2013, 01:43:39 am »

Yeah, the dark magic(especially dark bead and pursuers) is very much overpowered in PvP. Anyone with any experience should know that somebody using dark magic is a dick that should be cheesed to death via lagstabs and such as soon as possible so that you don't have to deal with the cheap shit they're using.

This game is really not balanced very well for PvP. It works, but only because loads of people use stupid OP shit to balance out everyone else.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 22, 2013, 01:45:06 am »

Mind you this is Dark Souls... which isn't even a balanced game within itself.

Why would PVP be different?

Well ok Dark Souls is balanced within itself in the sense that everything just stomps you.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: June 22, 2013, 01:46:13 am »

Until Quadratic Wizards comes into effect, apparently :D

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 22, 2013, 01:53:14 am »

Dark Bead and Pursuers are honestly flat out unfair. Dark Bead is basically a magical super shotgun that oneshots anybody in a cone who is not pointing a greatshield or Crest Shield towards the source when it's fired.

Pursuers is Homing Soul Mass except slower and taking half health from anybody except the aforementioned shield users, or the lucky people who have little enough lag to roll under it.

You /can/ use Silver Pendant to deflect them but it requires practice and timing. Like ripostes except harder to learn, basically, because there are more factors to take into account like range.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 22, 2013, 01:57:37 am »

Sounds like the perfect thing to use against Fatso and Shishkebab in NG+

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 22, 2013, 02:06:52 am »

O&S can't dodge worth shit so it doesn't matter. Just load them up with whatever you have. Of course, Ornstein actually dodges, so he might actually dodge dark magic if you launch it willy nilly.

The dark magic is overall a bit different. It doesn't deal magic damage and it's slower, so it's probably not as good for PvE. It's dreadful in PvP.
I'm gonna assume you don't mean dreadful as in underpowered.
Indeed. I mean dreadful as in I dread encountering anyone using dark magic in PvP.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: June 22, 2013, 02:51:48 am »

Sounds like the perfect thing to use against Fatso and Shishkebab in NG+
I jolly co-oped with a guy on PS3 who used Dark Bead as a point blank shotgun, using 3 hits to take down Smough and then Ornstein was easy.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 22, 2013, 08:04:43 am »

The DLC contains, in my opinion, some of the most challenging and fun bosses the game has to offer. There's also a few really nice looking armour sets and weapons, along with the aforementioned abyss magic. You should definitely get it if you have the money to spare.

Agreed.  I'm running through a low level challenge there and it's proving to be the hardest part of the game to date.  Even my first time through though, the bosses were amazing and really well done.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 22, 2013, 11:22:09 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 127