Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148124 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1590 on: June 23, 2013, 05:53:33 pm »

Chaos Caestus. Doesn't create a weakling shield in the off-hand, just makes more punchies.

Actually, upgraded Caestus does over 50% more damage than the Dark Hand. So.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 23, 2013, 05:56:43 pm »

But not as fun as dark hand, and dual wielding them would provide no block, as opposed to an okay block. Or does chaos upgrade add a flame effect to the weapon?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 23, 2013, 06:05:21 pm »

Chaos caestus does about equal fire and physical damage, and enemies usually have flames on them when hit with fire/chaos weapons. Dark Hand doesn't do fire damage, and doesn't look flamey.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 23, 2013, 06:24:01 pm »

My burg darkwraith dual-wielded dark hands, I wasn't interested in winning as much as being a boss fight.

Blocking is overrated.  Remember, fast roll is infinite poise.
Shoes...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 23, 2013, 06:39:59 pm »

I'm going to make a fire boxer for low-level PvP now. Once I get to the Parish, I'll have access to +5 caestus. Use the master key to go down to the depths and farm green shards. Take out Queelag while down there; get the chaos and/or large fire ember, depending on whether my character is able to reach the chaos. Run to Vamos (easy with shortcuts), +5 fire caestus. Back to the asylum for 2 red chunks, to ascend both. Take out the 4 kings with fire punches, which they're weak to. Become Darkwraith. Kill everyone in the burg. Two hours tops, unless the 4 Kings are especially annoying.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 23, 2013, 06:55:57 pm »

For bonus points make your guy Jubilant Catarina with Xanthous Chest and Legs, and Pharis's hat.  Keep your pimp hand strong.
Shoes...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 24, 2013, 02:47:26 am »

Chaos caestus does about equal fire and physical damage, and enemies usually have flames on them when hit with fire/chaos weapons. Dark Hand doesn't do fire damage, and doesn't look flamey.

No, I mean the weapon, not the effect when you hit. Dark hand itself is flamey, not enemies when you hit them with it. I asked if fire/chaos weapons become visually on-fire.

Anyway, the friend who introduced me to this game came over today, so I showed him NG+ and I wish I could have recorded the commentary. I had left off just before the bell gargoyles, and about 3 or so hours later, taking breaks for other games and stuff, I'm back to Fatso and Shishkebab again. Hoo boy, every thing in NG+ has been easy so far, all the bosses I annihilated, but these two are just as hard as ever. And to make things worse, I don't think Solaire has any more health than last time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:51:02 am by HugoLuman »

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 24, 2013, 07:41:24 am »

I've never actually played through NG+, despite the 200+ hours I have put into the game.  I really enjoyed my no shield playthrough, as well as my low level playthrough.  But I wonder if the NG+ or NG++ would ever be as challenging as either of those.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 24, 2013, 11:25:36 am »

The first half of NG+ is a breeze, but it gets way difficult once you reach O&S. The enemies from the start through Sen's fortress are no match for endgame gear, even with twice as much health and 4 times the damage. Then you get to O&S with 2.5 times as much health and 4 times the damage...

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 24, 2013, 11:29:09 am »

I miss ninja flipping heavies.
I don't care that it's not actually viable. Replace hat with dadmask for actual weapon/shield.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 24, 2013, 11:30:09 am »

Is it any more difficult than killing them on a naked SL5 knight with just a +15 broadsword?

I guess I should go back at some point and kill Smough first.  I have yet to beat the powered up Ornstein now that I think about it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: June 24, 2013, 11:33:14 am »

I probably should have done Ornstein the first time around, since Smough would be easier to kill second in NG+

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 24, 2013, 11:54:46 am »

As a tank, Ornstein is easier.  In super-form, he's got the butt-pound and the impaling spear as the only attacks that can really outdo your tower shield.  Smough has a lot of heavy hammer hits that just soak stamina.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: June 24, 2013, 12:27:17 pm »

As a mage, Smough is easiest. Just get him stuck on a pillar and blast away. That, or just keep backing up and blasting.

For Super Ornstein in NG+, should I just ditch the magic and kneecap him to death with Velka's rapier?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: June 24, 2013, 12:36:47 pm »

For Super Ornstein in NG+, should I just ditch the magic and kneecap him to death with Velka's rapier?
Superstein has a giant spear.  He has incredible damage potential at mid-range (aka: further than your weapon can reach) and he's got dash skills to help counter magic.  On the other hand, if you remain directly between his legs (Standard Giant Castration Pose) you can avoid all his attacks.  Just be wary of his lightning butt-pound, as this will one-shot you if you're directly under it.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 127