Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148238 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #360 on: August 26, 2012, 01:30:43 pm »

I found some builds: http://darksoulsbuilds.imgur.com/all/

Some of them could be hilariously effective if implemented in PvP. Piramidhead anyone?

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 26, 2012, 02:20:43 pm »

Yeah that is what I was thinking, I guess I am not the first one that got fooled hah. I am not too far into the game though so restarting won't be an issue, besides I want to try to beat the asylum demon on the first encounter.

I also picked it as my first gift, and wondered why my health didn't recover on its own. Nowadays there's not a lot to choose between with the gifts; Master Key remains popular for good reason (allowing early access to some higher-level areas, which if you can survive will allow access to good items and/or shortcuts), most of the others are situation-use consumables or have a specific (non-vital) purpose. Tiny Being's Ring is still sort of useful as there's not much in the way of good rings in the early game, but then choosing the Master Key can help with that too... sort of.

I was thinking of using the heal miracle outside of combat to heal up so I can actually have those estus flasks ready for clutch heals when I am about to die.

Same thing my recently-started cleric does; just make sure nothing takes advantage of your healing to finish you off. Most enemies will attack if they see you healing (quite sensibly), so you'll need to position yourself wisely and drink only when they're not able to attack (too far / blocked by terrain / locked into recovery or post-attack animations). Another nice thing about Estus - if you have enough HP and insufficiently upgraded flasks that it doesn't fully heal you, you can chain-drink multiple uses without a significant increase in consumption time (ie. your character already has the flask there, so just drinks twice instead of going through the whole animation again). Of course, it's generally a bad idea to get into that situation in the first place :)

--

On another note, engaged in a little jolly co-operation today as I was feeling less antisocial than normal. Of note is just how fast the gargoyle health bars drop when three people are beating down on the same target. Quite pleased with my efforts up to that point too, as I managed to successfully retrieve my bloodstain - replete with ~20k souls and 4 humanity (not much in the grand scheme, but considering that my character is level 10 and not even at the Depths yet, it's pretty much his unlife savings) - from New Londo and netted a Jagged Ghost Blade too, which is what I went there for in the first place.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 26, 2012, 02:27:18 pm »

That horrible moment when you're on the way to reclaim 80,000 souls and 16 humanity and a black phantom invades.  In Blighttown :(

I'm just gonna curl up in a ball and weep for a bit.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 26, 2012, 02:30:05 pm »

Actually, invasions in the upper area of Blighttown are pretty favorable, since you can kill black phantoms with even a massive power advantage over you by Spartan Kicking them over the edge.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 26, 2012, 02:31:43 pm »

On the other hand, they can do the the exact same thing to you.  And you can't do that when wielding curved swords.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 26, 2012, 02:32:20 pm »

That horrible moment when you're on the way to reclaim 80,000 souls and 16 humanity and a black phantom invades.  In Blighttown :(

I'm just gonna curl up in a ball and weep for a bit.
Why were you alive if you had that many soul on the line?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 26, 2012, 02:33:35 pm »

Unthinking habit.  I done derped.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 26, 2012, 02:45:50 pm »

Oh, you Dex builds and your curved swords with no kicking animation, how I pity you.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2012, 02:59:19 pm »

Oh, you Dex builds and your curved swords with no kicking animation, how I pity you.
he could of back stab him off though. My fav build is dex build with mass bleed damage with the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 26, 2012, 03:04:29 pm »

Has anyone tried a pure ranged/magic build?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 26, 2012, 04:29:04 pm »

The worst part so far of playing is trying to decide what covenant to pick.  They all kick so much ass, especially Darkmoon, Forest Hunter, and Gravelord Servant, although I've heard a lot of people just ignore Gravelord phantoms and don't bother looking for the symbol.

If phantoms kill them do you still get the rewards or do they have to invade?

Also, how severe are the damage penalties for insufficient stats?  Is it worth it to use a weapon anyway?  I suicide rushed for winged spear and zweihander but dont' have the stats yet.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:38:03 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2012, 04:37:33 pm »

Just for the record, I would strike the Way of the White and Princess's Guard from your potential covenants. They aren't very good at all.

A Gravelord's infection is permanent and inescapable unless one of the infected manages to kill them, so they more or less have to invade the Gravelord. Ignoring the Gravelord Phantoms isn't a very viable option. They are super-aggressive and super-powerful compared to normal enemies. You can end up aggro-ing them as soon as they enter draw distance, and phantoms of even moderately powerful enemies will dish out one-hit kills.
No Gods, No Masters.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 26, 2012, 05:48:55 pm »

Way of the White is good for beginners since it makes you the lowest priority target for invasions. Sure you can stay hollowed but that still runs the risk of getting your world corrupted by a Gravelord servant. Being the member of a good covenant decreases the chances of being paired with an evil covenant member.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2012, 08:58:26 pm »

Also, how severe are the damage penalties for insufficient stats?  Is it worth it to use a weapon anyway?  I suicide rushed for winged spear and zweihander but dont' have the stats yet.

Go ahead and give it a try... ;) Really, you barely do any damage at all if you don't have the stats and each swing staggers you terribly. If you have close to the strength and all of the dex you can two-hand it though.

There's no reason to not join way of the white until you find something better. Princess guard does offer some very nice co-op healing skills, but not much else. I personally stick to the Sunbros or the Forest Hunters most of the time once I'm reasonably progressed. I did stick a character on gravelord duty just to see what it was like... but... it was underwhelming. Only covenant I haven't given at least a shot is the Dragon covenant. I really should, but the run down there is so long. Also, I'm not good enough at PVP to be a successful invader, so while I do have a character in the Darkwraiths, I rarely use it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2012, 11:29:10 pm »

Wow. This game is really.....it's a unique one. The difficulty is like an old NES game where the tolerances for failure were so slim you really, really have to want to win to get ahead. Nothing really gets handed to you, you have to earn your way through it.

Stuck on Boss 2, been doing the level for a couple hours now. Am level 20 I think. I could win if not for the myriad of things that can go wrong. The AI determination on which type of attack to use seems to present the most challenge. Some, you can survive. Others, push you into a corner or stumble you or whatever. And getting 2 to 3 of those back to back is hard to survive.

It's weird how you'll get into a rhythm  and everything is super easy, and then the AI decides to do things just a little bit different and you get completely thrown off.

I also like how the leaves a lot up to question as you're starting out. Lots of things you're not sure what they do/how they work, lots of figuring things out for yourself. I can definitely see why Souls is so popular with the faithful, it's truly doing its own thing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 127