Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148225 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2012, 12:02:08 am »

Boss 2 could be one of several bosses :D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2012, 06:26:57 pm »

I just got this today and got out of the asylum.

I've already had much screaming. This game pisses me off, but I must keep playing... I think I'm a masochist :[
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 27, 2012, 06:27:44 pm »

All gamers are masochists to one degree or another.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 27, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »

Seriously though. This may be one of the most deliberately punishing video games I've ever chosen to continue playing.

But there's just so much to like!

The areas, even though you go through them ad nauseam, are cleverly arranged with lots of secrets. The setting is just so cool to me, it's some of the most atmospheric medieval city designs I've seen in a while. Even though your degree of interaction with it all is limited, it's just evocative. Reminds me a lot of how I liked Vagrant Story simply because of the city look and feel.

Items galore and I dunno, there's just something well done about the presentation, like how Zelda managed to make a handful of items look cool and feel important while they sat in your inventory.

I have a love/hate relationship with combat. At times it seems really awesome, and at others it seems full of dickery. You wade through tons of block/strike enemies, things are kosher, and then an upper level enemy will pull some bullshit right before your eyes.

And then there's the story. It doesn't make a lot of sense and I find the whole "Undead" thing a little hokey....but on the other, it's cool how desolate and forlorn and...almost dream-like, the way things are presented.

It dawned on me last night what the game truly reminds me of: Original Prince of Persia, where combat substitutes itself for the jumping. It's got the same kind of visual and twitch appeal.....and then with all the RPG and item hunting goodness thrown in.

I got some questions because the game loading screen tips go by way too quickly.

Is there any way to sell stuff? Or should I ditch all these crap duplicate weapons I've been toting around?

What does Humanity do other than increase your Estus count and (I guess) do a small amount more damage to enemies? With how often I've been dying, I don't bother to become Human again because I know I'll just lose it. Should I be taking human form more often?

Is there actual co-op or is that a euphamism for PvP?

Is Light Attack/Strong Attack/Kick/Plunge Attack/Block/Parry/Dodge/Backstab pretty much the extent of combat? Having died so often before even the meat of the game, I feel like combat is getting kind of redundant. Does it open up more later, or is it all about mastery and timing of all the stuff above for the rest of the game? (And, you know, ranged and magic.)

When, in theory, is a good time to kill this asshole:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:09:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 27, 2012, 07:09:07 pm »

The areas, even though you go through them ad nauseam, are cleverly arranged with lots of secrets. The setting is just so cool to me, it's some of the most atmospheric medieval city designs I've seen in a while. Even though your degree of interaction with it all is limited, it's just evocative. Reminds me a lot of how I liked Vagrant Story simply because of the city look and feel.

Items galore and I dunno, there's just something well done about the presentation, like how Zelda managed to make a handful of items look cool and feel important while they sat in your inventory.

And then there's the story. It doesn't make a lot of sense and I find the whole "Undead" thing a little hokey....but on the other, it's cool how desolate and forlorn and...almost dream-like, the way things are presented.
Most of Dark Souls' story is implied rather than stated, so pay close attention. Many points of the story are also intentionally left vague and open to interpretation.
Is there any way to sell stuff? Or should I ditch all these crap duplicate weapons I've been toting around?
There is a place to sell things. You'll find it eventually.
What does Humanity do other than increase your Estus count and (I guess) do a small amount more damage to enemies?
Humanity is used to, as you said, kindle bonfires and reverse your Hollowing. It also, however, increases your item drop rate and curse resistance. This is a diminishing returns system, with the largest point of growth being the first ten humanity, but gathering more will continue to increase these scores.
With how often I've been dying, I don't bother to become Human again because I know I'll just lose it. Should I be taking human form more often?
Human form is required for summoning and being invaded, including storyline invasions. Undead form will prevent both of these things, but you also won't be spending humanity when you die.
There is, but you can only summon White Phantoms for co-op when human. There are also storyline related summons that are played by AI.

If you get riposte down you can kill him right now. Actually, if you get riposte down you can kill him the first time you run into him.

Learn to riposte/parry. You will need it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 27, 2012, 07:13:14 pm »

Humanity is used to, as you said, kindle bonfires and reverse your Hollowing. It also, however, increases your item drop rate and curse resistance. This is a diminishing returns system, with the largest point of growth being the first ten humanity, but gathering more will continue to increase these scores.

So you're supposed to keep building it up without dying. Well, I don't see that happening at all in the near future. :P

If you get riposte down you can kill him right now. Actually, if you get riposte down you can kill him the first time you run into him.

Learn to riposte/parry. You will need it.

Great. I've always been terrible at timed guards, it's why I never bother with Royal Guard in DMC4.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2012, 07:15:15 pm »

With the black knight on the tower if you position the stairs in between you and him he will charge and fall down into the stairs, so you can get a free heal very useful in that fight.

edit: try mixing light and heavy attack and dodges/backsteps there are many interesting moves combat is however mainly mastering your weapon but what until you get some of the weapons that are more fickle with there move sets my favorite weapon was the silver knight straight sword and the dragonslayer spear shooting someone 5 feet into the air is always wonderful.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:23:20 pm by Light forger »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:35 pm »

Ah Dark Souls, how awesome you are. Anyways, with the rise of Dark Souls in this forum, I assume you guys are playing it in the PC? If so, tell me a little about the extra content. How's the PC community and stuff?

Also this character planner http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:31:09 pm by majikero »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 27, 2012, 07:34:06 pm »

It is the thing

I love the Darksouls story concept... I actually outright hate the gameplay (I hate any... "slow moving object" game)

So I hope it gets a sequel.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2012, 07:38:12 pm »

I got some questions because the game loading screen tips go by way too quickly.

Loading screen tips? They obviously have put in some improvements :) I'll just add a couple of bits as MetalSlimeHunt has answered pretty much everything.

Sell, yes, just... not in the traditional sense. None of the merchants will buy anything, but there is another way, a bit later on.

What does Humanity do other than increase your Estus count and (I guess) do a small amount more damage to enemies? With how often I've been dying, I don't bother to become Human again because I know I'll just lose it. Should I be taking human form more often?

I seem to recall that Humanity may also provide a small increase to defensive stats, in the same way that levelling up does, but I can't say for certain - it's not usually the first thing on my mind to check. It won't improve your damage output though.

edit: Also, the item Humanity (and Twin Humanities) can be used as healing items as they restore HP. This can be useful if you really desperately need another heal for some reason.

Related to the above, this is the main reason to be human. You can place a White Summon Sign (ie. allow yourself to be invited for co-op by someone else) in Hollow form, but to actually summon others or invade requires you to be Human... mostly.

Also, there are certain other things that only happen if you are in Human form, which may be beneficial (or not).

Is Light Attack/Strong Attack/Kick/Plunge Attack/Block/Parry/Dodge/Backstab pretty much the extent of combat? Having died so often before even the meat of the game, I feel like combat is getting kind of redundant. Does it open up more later, or is it all about mastery and timing of all the stuff above for the rest of the game? (And, you know, ranged and magic.)

That's mostly it, although there is the 'jump attack' (forward + heavy attack, if the controls are vaguely similar to the console versions), which is similar. Some weapons also have a separate attack if you backstep (dodge/roll button whilst not moving) and then light attack immediately after.

Keep in mind different weapons have different movesets too - a battleaxe handles differently to a longsword (but strangely similar to a club with nails through it).

Most of the trick with combat is not getting killed. (...actually, that's a pretty universal truth now that I think about it) It's more about knowing when it's safe to attack, what attacks you can block, and which need to be dodged - there aren't any style points for variety here, the only score is 'not dead'. (Having said that, there is an overkill bonus of about 20% more souls if you do a large amount of damage to an enemy - you'll usually see this with ripostes or backstabs)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:00:34 pm by Calech »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 27, 2012, 08:10:36 pm »

On the black knight(s): Keep your shield up when it's attacking. When it's not attacking, drop your shield. Your stamina recharges faster. This is very important. In the gaps between attacks - and when it's attacking - circle around it (to the right is best). Backstab it between attacks. Backstabs are the best way to deal with black knights. There is no better way. Even spamming them with ranged attacks and kicking them off of ledges are less useful than backstabbing, once you've gotten used to it.
Combat in Dark Souls is based around learning your enemies and how best to combat them. Keep your shield up while you learn their attack patterns, then settle in and attack during breaks in the rhythm. Look for less defended regions, what directions you can dodge from their attacks. You can develop a set attack strategy, but the same thing probably won't work against frail undead and 20-foot tall giants*. Learn your enemies and look for the openings. Keep your shield up until you learn their attacks, then drop your shield between attacks to regain stamina quicker. The shieldless run is not recommended until you have at least five hundred deaths under your belt.

*Running up and crushing things with your Zweihander is a strategy that works against everything.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 27, 2012, 08:38:56 pm »

If you start with the master key, you can go meet Havel. I dare you to kill him on the first meeting.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 27, 2012, 09:12:54 pm »

If you start with the master key, you can go meet Havel. I dare you to kill him on the first meeting.
I did on my second run, never having killed him on my first (and first run not being a full run, but at least going past the point of Havel). Does that count?
Spoiler: Trick to beating him (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 27, 2012, 09:58:14 pm »

I finally beat him. Took 4 ripostes in a row. Realizing I could cross the bridge to the bonfire and open the gate made it...much easier. What really screwed me up is the parries where you'd succeed, but then he would just attack again immediately. Once I got 4 "perfect" parries off, it wasn't that bad. Honestly the hardest part I think is coming up the stairs and getting positioned for his first attack. His little ground sweep is easy to parry, if you're lucky enough to have him do that 2 or 3 times in succession.

Too bad the reward did not even come close to being worth it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 27, 2012, 09:59:40 pm »

The reward is actually a random drop. One of them in particular is very, very worth it.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 127