Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148201 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #345 on: August 25, 2012, 06:05:53 am »

Not even changing the tooltips... yeah there is some laziness in there.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 25, 2012, 06:11:10 am »

>>Implying a straight port was supposed to be something different

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 25, 2012, 06:39:11 am »

>>Implying a straight port was supposed to be something different
^Leaving the game displaying the console controller buttons definately IS laziness in a port. A straight port doesn't mean it's not allowed to even change the controls or anything :P

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2012, 07:34:57 am »

Actually yeah, that is exactly what it means.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 25, 2012, 08:59:27 am »

New version of the graphical fix is out. This time tackling the DoF.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=114

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 26, 2012, 08:39:05 am »

I was very disappointed before release at all the porting problems. However I now have the game as the res fix caught my eye and I must say the game is now fine! (Using a 360 controller so no crap controls)

I'm having far more fun than I ever did with my PS3 version! :)
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2012, 08:43:16 am »

As long as you have the fix and use a controller it's great.  Considering this was done not as a labor of love but because the fans begged for it, I'll take what I can get.

Damn this game is hard though.  Any advice on a good all-around (Passable at PVP and PVE, that is) first time character?  I've been playing a thief hoping to build up to using Lifehunt with some rBleed items and maybe join the Darkmoon whatevers, but I also want to have something I can just play the game through with.
Shoes...

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 26, 2012, 08:46:29 am »

How the fps in Blighttown did they fix any of the path finding problems that was making that area lag a lot.

Good build is Fatty the Bandit http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Fatty+Build super easy build to kill everyone, that Zaphander
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 26, 2012, 08:54:27 am »

As long as you have the fix and use a controller it's great.  Considering this was done not as a labor of love but because the fans begged for it, I'll take what I can get.

Damn this game is hard though.  Any advice on a good all-around (Passable at PVP and PVE, that is) first time character?  I've been playing a thief hoping to build up to using Lifehunt with some rBleed items and maybe join the Darkmoon whatevers, but I also want to have something I can just play the game through with.

Spear and a shield can make things rather trivial in the early game, especially if you grab some healing miracles and join the sunbros.  Ignore resistance completely (for any build) and focus primarily on endurance and str/dex (with a little faith or whatever the sorcery stat is).  Prioritize weapon/armour upgrades over levelling up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:07:10 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 26, 2012, 10:02:09 am »

My absolute favorite build still is high strength/endurance zweihander + heaviest armor you can wear build. It was my first real character. (Not counting the deprived I started with but trashed before level 20.) To date it's also my highest level character. Not that great at PVP, although if you can land a hit on someone with a zweihander, they tend to go down. It's just that first hit that's tough. Everything else though it is so much fun. I still go back to it on occasion even though I like to experiment a lot with different themes. Any character that depends on agility will necessarily be harder and less forgiving. Might not be the best build to start off with, but if you can master it early, it'll definitely give you an edge in your future gameplay. Parry and riposte were things I learned relatively late and I still haven't completely mastered dodging things rather than blocking them. Still, for me there's nothing as satisfying as being as beefy as three cows, and wearing armor literally made of rock and chains. (When Bishop Havel the Rock does chainmail, he doesn't use pansy little wire rings... These are the kind of chains you'd anchor ships with.)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 26, 2012, 10:42:15 am »

I second that zweihander is awesome. I just beat the Gaping Dragon with it on my second attempt solo. Tanking his hits was out of the question unfortunately but thanks to the damage output of a giant sword wielded in two hands I didn't have to dodge too many times.

It's probably a rubbish weapon for PvP since it telegraphs attacks but if you stay in the Way of White covenant your chances of getting invaded are low.

After I'm done beating the game legitimately I'll think about making a build that would fit the theme of Nito's covenant and make for some decent PvP. I love the concept of corrupting other peoples worlds :>

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 26, 2012, 10:43:08 am »

I'm a newbie still (just beaten the ram demon) but I like two-handed axe and try to max strength/endurance. It works.

It's strange though how easy I can kill bosses and how hard black knights are in comparison...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 26, 2012, 10:49:48 am »

I am having some success with a spear wanderer, I am a complete noob though so the build might come and bite me in the ass later on. (I did play Demon's Souls though.)
I rely heavily on dodging and good timing which seems to do the trick, the big ass knights still kick my puny ass though. I was thinking of going for a twohander build as well but any rpg that has spears means my first character must use them, I fucking love spears.

As a build I am going for high dex, stam and vit, with just enough strength to use a shield with whatever spear I find, I still rely on dodging but having the option to block when needed is just great. Been thinking of picking up the healing miracle though so I won't be as reliant on the ester flasks.

EDIT: Thinking of restarting though so I can get a master key, I could have sworn the ring I took said it would provide health restoration but it seems to just give a minor buff.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:58:54 am by Aptus »

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 26, 2012, 11:12:01 am »

EDIT: Thinking of restarting though so I can get a master key, I could have sworn the ring I took said it would provide health restoration but it seems to just give a minor buff.

Impressively, despite other changes they've made, the description of Tiny Being's Ring still hasn't been corrected - it only gives a small (30HP?) boost to health, rather than the suggested health regeneration... which would be far, far more useful.

You can actually (now) get all of the items that are available as 'gifts' for a starter character in the game itself - the Master Key was previously noteworthy as it couldn't be obtained otherwise, but it's now sold by a merchant (some time after its most obvious uses, naturally, but still).

Oh, and being reliant on Estus isn't so bad - it's free (unlike the grass in Demon's Souls), replenishes at bonfires, and you can upgrade the capacity to 20 uses (...eventually, although this does have a cost). Unless I'm mistaken, using Estus is also faster than the Heal miracle.

The catch is that if you're operating as a phantom in someone else's world (invader or summoned helper), you can't use Estus, IIRC.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 26, 2012, 11:31:58 am »

Impressively, despite other changes they've made, the description of Tiny Being's Ring still hasn't been corrected - it only gives a small (30HP?) boost to health, rather than the suggested health regeneration... which would be far, far more useful.
Yeah that is what I was thinking, I guess I am not the first one that got fooled hah. I am not too far into the game though so restarting won't be an issue, besides I want to try to beat the asylum demon on the first encounter.

Oh, and being reliant on Estus isn't so bad - it's free (unlike the grass in Demon's Souls), replenishes at bonfires, and you can upgrade the capacity to 20 uses (...eventually, although this does have a cost). Unless I'm mistaken, using Estus is also faster than the Heal miracle.

I was thinking of using the heal miracle outside of combat to heal up so I can actually have those estus flasks ready for clutch heals when I am about to die.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 127