Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365203 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1875 on: March 22, 2011, 11:57:18 am »

The War Powers act that requires constitutional consent was passed under the Nixon administration, and was promptly ignored by every President since, on the grounds that it is not believed to be constitutional. That is, the Constitution outlines the Commander and Chief as the sole authority over the military, not the congress, and that any requirement for the president to ask the Congress for permission would require an amendment to the constitution.

That said, I am of the opinion that this action was necessary. If we are to be the shining beacon of freedom in the world, we cannot sit idly by as insane dictators slaughter their people. No thing in the world is black and white, definable along a left-right divide. The fact that this matter is being turned into one is massively disappointing, particularly after the media, a variety of congressmen and women, the United Nations, the Libyan people, and according to at least one poll 70 percent of Americans, are in favor of, or have pressed the administration for intervention.

Particularly shocking to me is the sudden whiplash like shift in tone on CNN, where for the past several weeks they've been broadcasting nothing, but calls for intervention, and tearful phone calls with Libyan people asking for intervention, only to turn around and question if we should be intervening when we finally do.
!!&!!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: March 22, 2011, 11:59:21 am »

I was actually surprised by the turn-around listening to NPR this morning as well.

I feel like a lot of people are afraid though, that we've done too little, too late, in the wrong way, and we're dead set on compounding our errors.

I'm not entirely sure I disagree.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: March 22, 2011, 12:13:05 pm »

I'm surprised too. Saw a recent public opinion poll that showed only 1 in 3 Britons supporting the no-fly zone, with something like 43% opposed. I could have sworn that just a few weeks ago, the vast majority of the Western world was in support. The media doesn't surprise me as much. They're jackals, always looking for a way to sensationalize a story and give the impression that they're asking the tough questions and/or imparting some kind of hidden wisdom.

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away....or DOES it? New information you'll be shocked to learn! Tonight at 11."

"Is eating and drinking water regularly REALLY a good idea? Find out after these messages."

"The media: Are they too critical? We take a hard look, coming up later in the program."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: March 22, 2011, 01:14:43 pm »

Hmm, also, apparently this was perfectly acceptable since congress DID ratify the action 66 years ago when they agreed to abide by the decisions of the Security Council. It's all perfectly legal and on the up and up.

Ah well, forget my protestations, the Republicans are assholes. Why hasn't the news mentioned this in the reporting?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: March 22, 2011, 01:16:09 pm »

Because you unfairly expect fairness from an unfair system.
!!&!!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: March 22, 2011, 02:08:04 pm »

Why hasn't the news mentioned this in the reporting?

Hah hah hah hah hah hah?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: March 22, 2011, 04:58:01 pm »

Does anyone see the irony in a Nobel Peace Prize recipient racing off to bomb Libya?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: March 22, 2011, 05:03:28 pm »

Lybyan protesting against Russia and China for opposing airstrike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEQLj3zQSdE&feature=player_embedded
In the city of mistata and in the city of Zintan.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1883 on: March 22, 2011, 05:10:45 pm »

Does anyone see the irony in a Nobel Peace Prize recipient racing off to bomb Libya?

No more so than the recipient of a Nobel Peace Prize endorsing the torturing of prisoners in Guantanamo.

What is more ironic is giving a nobel peace prize to a man whose only act on a national or world scale was keeping John McCain out of the white house.

And he didn't exactly race off to bomb libya, he took his damn time, probably too much time.

And wasn't willing to endorse the UN/NATO process until after France and England did.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1884 on: March 22, 2011, 05:14:06 pm »

Kissingger also won it, and he gave orders to bomb Cambodia.

Can we please make up our minds as to if the US should or should not be the policemen of the world? For the weeks leading up to this, all I heard was "where's the US? Why won't they help?" and now all I hear is "how dare the US involve itself in foreign countries' domestic issues!"

At least this time we have UN backing...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: March 22, 2011, 05:20:32 pm »

"Where's the US?" was coming mostly from the rebels.  "How dare the US" is coming mostly from within our own country.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: March 22, 2011, 05:21:52 pm »

Yeah somehow the sequence of events seems messed up here :P

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: March 22, 2011, 05:39:04 pm »

I'd hardly call what is happening in Libya a war. We are at war with Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya in the same way we are at war on Poverty, Cancer, and AIDS.

World War 1 was a War. World War 2 was a War. States in direct conflict with other states, both actively attempting to destroy each other. Iraq and Libya are international policing measures, Afghanistan, a nation building effort to put down an a violent non-governmental organization.

The International community put a line in the sand and Khadaffi crossed it twice. We are called to action on moral grounds, on legal grounds, on principle.
!!&!!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: March 22, 2011, 05:53:52 pm »

Yeah...people do complain about us being the world's policemen, but sometimes you just plain need a cop and are glad to have one around.

(Mind you, police usually have someone else helping to foot the bill)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: March 22, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »

I wonder what crawled into Germany's pants. They're so worried about getting pulled into any kind of action related to Libya that they're recalling all german military vessels and air crew they have in the mediterranean.

I know they've got some... bad memories about Libya but this is almost neurotic.

Instead it seems like bastion of neutrality, Sweden, is ready to contribute a squadron of JAS Gripen.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 416