Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365205 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1905 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:52 am »

To be fair, it's not exactly right to call Sweden "neutral" ever since we got our asses into the Afghanistan war just like everybody else. Bastards broke a 200 year straight of peace. On the other hand, can't say I would be disappointed should we interfere this time around. It is time for Sweden to take our rightful place as Världspolis! All fear our righteous condescension!
ehrm.. Back to the real world *cough*:
Anyway, recent leaks provided info that would almost call into question any neutrality post WWII. So yeah, it's "neutrality" now, guys. "Neutrality".

In other news, it turns out Khadaffi had several million bucks on the move in Sweden. Stuff has been frozen now, but one can't help but wondering what the hell he was up to with it - nothing's been clarified yet. I mean, Sweden's hardly the most profitable place to hide your money, so there's got to be some other reason for it.

ninja'd:
People forget that up until about 150 years ago, Sweden was one of the most aggressive countries in Europe. They're descended from Vikings, for God's sake!  :P
I recent your assertion that Vikings were in any way aggressive. They just wanted to steal colonise live peacefully in harmony on your land and have all most some of your women (and some of your men). We can't help everybody felt the need to resist! They completely missed the point!
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 23, 2011, 06:53:42 am »

Isn't Sweden known, historically, for getting into an awful lot of wars, anyway? (I count... 18 major wars over the course of two or three hundred years, a good deal of them with Denmark. Still, I suppose it's not bad compared to some other countries...) Sure, they've been pretty chill for a while now, but it's clearly just a fluke and they are now reverting back to their natural state. ;)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: March 23, 2011, 07:02:57 am »

Well, somebody had the keep the Russian bear out of Europe! It's not like other countries were just lining up for the honour! And don't get me started on those Danish silly-pants with their regional superiority and their fancy, floating ships! They needed to be taken down a notch, in fact, they were practically begging for it! ;D

Love, scriver~

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 23, 2011, 07:14:28 am »

Does'nt Sweden have the hot chicks? Or is that Switzerland?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 23, 2011, 07:17:20 am »

Hmm, acually, we pretty much act as heavy fire support for the protesters (hehe, now that my kind of protest, can't wait for the next protest about entry fee at the university, backed by F16, hem...).
I can't say I'm displeased, though.

There is concern over the west's intentions, but I can't blame them. Although calling for the end of airstike is stupid, and show that kadhafi actually have a lot of suporters in foreign countries.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 23, 2011, 07:26:31 am »

IIRC Sweden holds the world record for most wars.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 23, 2011, 08:08:05 am »

There is concern over the west's intentions, but I can't blame them. Although calling for the end of airstike is stupid, and show that kadhafi actually have a lot of suporters in foreign countries.

I'm actually concerned as well. The thing thats got a lot of people worried is that they've not been willing to say exactly what they plan on doing beyond "protecting civilians". I don't want this to turn into another invasion, and I think a lot of people feel the same way.

What sucks is that if we'd done this weeks ago, we'd probably be out of there by now. Blech.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #1912 on: March 23, 2011, 08:59:39 am »

Yeah, it seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't moment.

Personally I am glad we went in... but I am sad that this may turn into a prolonged conflict.
No, it was actually: damned if you don't follow up on what you said when you were a candidate (pass a military action through congress if it doesn't involve an immediate threat to the US).

I, like aqizzar, would like to know what are the short and long term goals of the UN without all the semantic crap.

Complex situation indeed.
Does'nt Sweden have the hot chicks? Or is that Switzerland?
Careful there... Calling a swedish woman hot chick without their consent might qualify as rape over there... You don't want to be extradited, do you?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 09:01:20 am by Alexhans »
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:58 am »

What sucks is that if we'd done this weeks ago, we'd probably be out of there by now. Blech.
If we intervened a week ago we would have been bashing the west for not letting the rebels solve the problem on their own.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: March 23, 2011, 10:38:38 am »

That's the beauty of politics -- no matter what your opponent does, you can find a way to attack it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:23 am »

If we intervened a week ago we would have been bashing the west for not letting the rebels solve the problem on their own.

Except, of course, they requested our intervention. If we'd simply responded to the shelling of cities by destroying some artillery bits and taking out some bombers, even a small strike, and told Khaddaffi to shape up or we'd come back... but then, the only reason we DIDN'T get involved earlier is Russia and China, so I suppose we can blame them for this whole mess, really...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: March 23, 2011, 11:10:07 am »

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/live/africa/libya-live-blog-march-23

A thank you rally is taking place in Benghazi. I think the difference with the war in Irak is clear now.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 23, 2011, 11:22:48 am »

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/live/africa/libya-live-blog-march-23

A thank you rally is taking place in Benghazi. I think the difference with the war in Irak is clear now.

Gee...an armed intervention *with* a UN mandate, multinational support at the outset, and the support of the people being liberated. And no bullshit about WMD's. I feel like tracking down Don Rumsfeld and saying, "THIS is how you do it, bitch!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:24 am »

1:35pm In football news, the African Cup of Nations qualifiers have been moved away from Libya and Cote d'Ivoire over safety concerns, says the Associated Press agency.

ORLY?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 23, 2011, 11:28:29 am »

Gee...an armed intervention *with* a UN mandate, multinational support at the outset, and the support of the people being liberated. And no bullshit about WMD's. I feel like tracking down Don Rumsfeld and saying, "THIS is how you do it, bitch!"

And France is leading the charge. Seriously, this is what Bush said the situation was last time, except this time it's actually true!
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 416