Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Things to Read  (Read 3866 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Things to Read
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2011, 10:06:01 pm »

Even if you don't agree with her, read them to gain an understanding of her ideas. I plan on reading the Communist Manifesto soon. And yes, I thought they did get kind of boring, and I have read most of them.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 10:06:51 pm »

Meh. Fair enough.
*Hugs*

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2011, 10:07:22 pm »

hell i rather read Mein Kampf then Ayn Rand.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »

Even if you don't agree with her, read them to gain an understanding of her ideas.

I'm so glad that it is socialy acceptable to read something for entertainment value alone, rather then it having to better oneself in a political way. That dosn't perpetuate social voids at all.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2011, 10:13:30 pm »

Even if you don't agree with her, read them to gain an understanding of her ideas.

I'm so glad that it is socialy acceptable to read something for entertainment value alone, rather then it having to better oneself in a political way. That dosn't perpetuate social voids at all.
?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2011, 10:16:06 pm »

?

It is one thing to read something so that you understand anothers veiws, it is another to read something because you enjoy it.

On a side note, what are the chances of a 'things to listen to' thread showing up next? Maybe a 'things to cook' would go down well too.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2011, 10:17:03 pm »

i was actually thinking about starting a my music nostalgia thread where i post and you bitch.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2011, 10:19:49 pm »

Mangos

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2011, 10:53:26 pm »

I partially copied a pasted the last of these lists I made.
My, it appears that only really popular books have been mentioned; let me find my list...
  • Dragaeran Series by Steven Brust - Main character is an assassin, details add up in this series. Book order (I think): Taltos, Yendi, Dragon, Jhereg, Teckla, Phoenix, Athyra, Orca, Issola, Jhegaala, Dzur. Actually, just use the publication order, even if it gets confusing.
  • Elemental Masters Series by Mercedes Lackey - Jumps around but ties many things together, each one is inspired by a fairy tale. Book order: The Fire Rose, The Serpent's Shadow, The Gates of Sleep, Phoenix And Ashes, The Wizard of London, and Reserved for the Cat.
  • Heralds of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey - Rather detailed universe, and a very good series: things get epic. Mercedes is skilled with emotions and intrigue. Book list (based on timeline): The Black Gryphon, The White Gryphon, The Silver Gryphon, Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, Magic's Price, Foundation, Brightly Burning, The Oathbound, Oathbreakers, Oathblood, Exile's Honor, Exile's Valor, Take A Thief, By The Sword, Arrows of the Queen, Arrow's Flight, Arrow's Fall, Winds of Fate, Winds of Change, Winds of Fury, Storm Warning, Storm Rising, Storm Breaking, Owlflight, Owlsight, Owlknight.
  • Another vote for Robert A. Heinlein, Legendary Writer (Double Star first).
  • Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix: Rather surreal, but interesting. Books follow the days of the week, beginning with Monday.
  • The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey: It seems like fantasy, but is actually science fiction. Pay careful attention to book order to prevent spoilers, sadly, I don't recall that order; too many books.
  • The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown
  • House of Leaves; may drive the already emotionally unstable insane. Wonderful.
  • Nineteen Eighty-Four, if it hasn't been assigned to you in school.

I've been procrastinating on a complete Bay12 book compilation, but I guess it's time I finish that.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 04:45:02 pm »

I find Orwell to be somewhat limited. Politically, his books are nice, but from an entertainment value, they fall a bit flat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 04:45:38 pm »

I find Orwell to be somewhat limited. Politically, his books are nice, but from an entertainment value, they fall a bit flat.
I thought that 1984 was a good one though, thought provoking and so on.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 04:47:34 pm »

Animal Farm was very funny.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2011, 06:02:39 pm »

Yeah, kind of like if you look at any of Aldous Huxley's other work it's just.... blah.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2011, 12:17:41 pm »

The Communist Manifesto and Phillip Reeve's 'Mortal Engines' series.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6