Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Things to Read  (Read 3861 times)

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things to Read
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2011, 12:43:34 pm »

The Dresden Files (series) by Jim Butcher

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant(series) by Stephen R. Donaldson

What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2011, 04:25:37 pm »

Lycidas (Cristoph Marzi)
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 04:43:18 pm »

The Tao Te Ching
The Chuang Tsu
The Illiad
The Worm Ouroboros
The Power and the Glory
The Once and Future King

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 12:29:41 am »

Here you go then
Spoiler: The Order (click to show/hide)
... Right, I think I'm going with published order.
Do no such thing. (Chronological works too, though, if you really don't want to. I mean, that's what one of my friends did, who read Discworld and liked it. Small Gods is an excellent start, in my opinion.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:36:19 am by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2011, 01:24:11 am »

I have read every single novel Terry Pratchett has published, including everything on that list, that includes the short stories... and his other books: the johnny series, and strata. I am a frigging expert on TP.

I am also made extremely sad by the prospect that his next book may be his last... heck his current book may be his last...

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2011, 03:09:41 am »

Altered carbon. Sci-fi Noir detective.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2011, 04:49:54 am »

There's been a new printing of the Conan stories. Just saying, the Bloody Crown of Conan is one of my favorite collections ever. Can't recommend it enough.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2011, 08:21:50 am »

Dumas is good if you can find good translations (or speak French.) Just make sure you get a non-annotated copy, as they give too much away, espicially in The Count of Monte Cristo.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2011, 04:31:07 pm »

Ah, really?  I'm always looking for annotated copies, so that on later readthroughs I can get all the in-jokes.

Maybe the French have a different annotation style than the Americans, who knows--the ones I've read didn't really have plot developments so much as "By the way, Djali is Turkish for dog" and so on.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2011, 04:47:25 pm »

It's the English one I'm referring to. It seems as if it's just trying to explain once-common references so you get it, but has the effect of turning subtle hints into flat-out telling you. For example, a character in the copy I read comments that the count spent too much time among "Mohammadeans." The footnote cheerfully explained that this was an old word for Muslims, and that among Muslim customs were
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Sappho reference was similarly noted, spoiling a moderately important side-plot several chapters before someon who simply got the reference would have figured it out. There's many more, but those are the two I remember most. Still wasn't as bad as the annotated Dracula.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2011, 02:21:01 am »

Bored. Need entertainment. Anime and drawing will not feed my hunger for the world to dance at my whim, so trying reading.
Anybody know a good book to get into the entire 'Lovecraft' thing? Something that is understandable to an outsider and possible able to get my evil hands on.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2011, 02:25:01 am »

Bored. Need entertainment. Anime and drawing will not feed my anger for the world to dance at my whim, so trying reading.
Anybody know a good book to get into the entire 'Lovecraft' thing? Something that is understandable to an outsider and possible able to get my evil hands on.
If I'm remembering correctly, every book by Lovecraft is in the public domain, so just search it up. Though I think a couple of them are disputed or whatever, but it shouldn't matter.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2011, 02:28:55 am »

Ok, so aquiring such a book is made easy (Thank you H. P. Lovecraft! free stuff FTW!) now I need what would be the 'first' of the series, so to speak. So, for example, somebody new to the works of Tolkien would do well to start with 'The hobbit', what would somebody getting into Lovecraft start with?

*Scan internets*
Not a lot of full novels...
*Reads on*
Short storys good
*Keeps reserching*
Ok, this will be fun.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2011, 02:41:32 am »

I'd recommend either The Dreams in the Witch-House or The Nameless City, both of which are short stories.

As for books? The Shadow Over Innsmouth.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2011, 02:44:20 am »

I do like Terry Pratchett's style. He makes many things funny.

Also carpe Jugulum is a good use of language. "Go for the throat."
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6