Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570276 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3135 on: August 02, 2015, 10:21:22 am »

I see. So it's basically 'spray everything with ranged fire of some sorts and never stop'.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: August 02, 2015, 01:41:24 pm »

You should assess each hazard and determine if you should deal with it, or just run past it down to the next floor. You should get off to those alcoves on the side and rest back to full health whenever you get the opportunity, but don't spend any more time on the conveyor belts than you need to. If you see the endless crab swarms coming, just run. Run like hell. Also drugs are essential.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: August 02, 2015, 01:43:30 pm »

The most important bit of advice for Golgotha is to spend as little time there as possible.

If you're really, really tough, you could consider taking the backdoor, but it requires at least 160 HP for a mutant to survive even with a rubbergum injector, and you need some way to get inside (a vibroblade can cut through the walls.)  I think a True Kin can survive with 80 HP, since injectors are more effective for them?  A True Kin could probably do it with one Shade Oil Injector and one Rubbergum Injector.

If you're getting swarmed, an electric weapon might help.  Grenades might help, too -- there's no reason not to burn resources in Golgotha, since you just want to rush through there quickly.  Also, a Skulk Injector could help you move quickly.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: August 02, 2015, 01:49:15 pm »

Taking the skulk is a gamble, unless you have Juicer; you won't be able to heal yourself as long as the skulk injector is active.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: August 02, 2015, 01:51:52 pm »

Is it even possible to clear it out, or are these crabs spamming ad infinitum?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: August 02, 2015, 03:04:05 pm »

You might be able to destroy the tile that spawns them.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: August 02, 2015, 07:09:44 pm »

The reputation system and the water-gift ritual seem a bit rough around the edges.

1.  When you give a water-gift to someone and that makes you neutral or positive with their faction, shouldn't that stop any current combat with them (and with members of their faction, so their bodyguards don't proceed to murder you?)  I accidentally ended up hostile with the villagers of Joppa due to giving water to the wrong person, and while giving water to Mehmet made me positive with them again, he kept on attacking me.

2.  Quests should improve your standing with a faction as a reward for completing them.  I'd already done the watervine quest; it seemed a bit silly for all of Joppa to decide that I must be killed after that because I gave water to a tortoise they hated.

3.  Joppa in particular should probably be a bit harder than usual to offend due to its importance to the plot and the time most players spend there.  I would suggest, in addition to reputation bonuses there for the quests, that you get a bonus with them the first time you introduce yourself to the elder.  Similarly, simply introducing yourself to the Barathumites should improve your reputation with them a bit (since you're introducing yourself as an ally of someone they trust -- either the mayor of Joppa or Argyle.)  This will make it a bit harder for players to render the main quest impossible due to a diplomatic faux pas.

4.  The negative impacts for doing the water ritual with someone who is hated by another faction are a bit steep and a bit extreme (as far as I can tell, it's the same as you'd get for killing them, but reversed.)  Compounding this is the fact that most faction leaders seem to be hated by more people than they're liked by; this means that killing people is a good way to raise your reputation with everyone overall, whereas the water ritual actually ends up lowering your reputation if you do it a lot.  That seems backwards.  Being a diplomat should, overall, make people like you more than going around killing named uniques, or at least shouldn't make people hate you more.

5.  There should be a warning about the penalty for violating the sacred hospitality of the water ritual somewhere.  I mean, logically, my character should know the customs of Qud, even if I don't.  Possibly a warning could pop up before attacking someone you've done the water ritual with (although there's a lot of ways to attack indirectly, so it could be tricky.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:12:04 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: August 02, 2015, 11:13:29 pm »

Also, on a new character, I found some Grishlings in the watervine marshes east of Joppa.  As soon as I saw them, all steps of the Red Rock quest completed themselves (except for bringing the corpse back), and when I brought the corpse back, it treated it as though I'd gotten their corpse from Red Rock.  I guess it sort of makes sense?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: August 03, 2015, 04:57:55 am »

Completely agree with both of Aquillion's points. The reputation system I'm assuming is getting an overhaul anyway as part of the larger faction stuff planned, which I think will be great.

As far as quests go, both that and the hunt for a knicknack quest (as you can give any artifact as a knicknack) can be completed by not doing the required steps. Whilst that's understandable (and not a bad thing), it does seem a bit broken until you realise what's going on. I'd suggest that you special case grishlings to be just the ones at Red Rock, and maybe stop the player using any of the artifacts in Joppa as a knicknack.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: August 03, 2015, 07:36:05 am »

In my current game, a squad of Putus Templars, led by a legendary one, spawned on the third level of Red Rock. I'm somewhat concerned since I haven't completed the quest there. Enemies don't follow you across vertical levels, do they? I remember they chase you across surface screens at least.

At the same time, I wonder whether I could use my wit and/or inventory to concoct some underhanded trick and bring down at least one of the templars and loot their impressive gear. The main problem is my lack of sufficiently advanced armour piercing weapons.

I've an acid grenade and a stun grenade, but I don't think they'd be enough, and my sharp iron sword and musket would helplessly plink off. I used my paralyzing stinger to incapacitate and slowly chip away at a legendary apeman, but even if I succeeded in paralyzing a templar, I wouldn't be able to capitalize on the situation without getting surrounded by his buddies.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: August 03, 2015, 02:47:01 pm »

Speaking of paralysis, the paralysing stinger's poison never seems to wear off. If you sting something once, it'll never move again. I'm pretty sure that's not the intent with that mutation.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: August 03, 2015, 04:34:04 pm »

Speaking of paralysis, the paralysing stinger's poison never seems to wear off. If you sting something once, it'll never move again. I'm pretty sure that's not the intent with that mutation.

Hmm, that's possible. Furthermore, when I was chipping away at the aforementioned legendary apeman, he seemed to stack the "paralyzed" status effect. Before he died, he must've been inflicted by it over a dozen times.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: August 04, 2015, 09:11:28 am »

Suggestion: what if the level in which a character died were at least structurally preserved, and their corpse remained along with a portion of their inventory?

I realize it could be exploitable to some extent, but made an optional setting and properly balanced (i.e. the closer you're to Joppa, the lower the chance each item is preserved), it'd be an interesting addition.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: August 04, 2015, 10:21:33 am »

Suggestion: what if the level in which a character died were at least structurally preserved, and their corpse remained along with a portion of their inventory?

I realize it could be exploitable to some extent, but made an optional setting and properly balanced (i.e. the closer you're to Joppa, the lower the chance each item is preserved), it'd be an interesting addition.
Interesting. I'd like if most of the dead character's gear was damaged (in accordance to by what and how he got killed) in this case, and there was some dangerous scum over his remains (not necessarily the very one who that char had been slain by). Something like a random encounter.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:20:08 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: August 04, 2015, 11:17:01 am »

That'd be pretty cool, balance issues notwithstanding. Light legacy features in roguelikes are always a nice touch.

Maybe Argyve could give some unique dialogue regarding his last apprentice's demise, depending on how far your last character got in the main questline. 

The only issue I see would be the technical challenge of preserving the area where your character died. Say they died in some random no name dungeon in the ruins. A new character would almost certainly have a completely different area layout then what your previous character had. There are loads of ways you could work around this, though.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 250