Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570242 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #3150 on: August 04, 2015, 11:45:43 am »

I always like legacy features, although I have to say that preserving the level/area (and then rebuilding up stuff around it like enemies and what have you) would presumably be a lot of work for a small gain.

As Witty said, Argyve could have some dialogue options and perhaps Tam could have some of the last characters gear? That'd give a nice balance between making the world persistent without a huge amount of work
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: August 04, 2015, 12:02:10 pm »

I suppose it does present a technical challenge, but the world doesn't undergo structural changes between generations, as far as I know. The location of places doesn't change: only the actual in-level layout once the player gets there.

That said, I have encountered random fulcrete ruins when travelling across the world map, so that kind of dynamically-occurring locations might deepen the technical complexity of this.

Anyway, it might be more difficult in the end. I just think it'd be nice to leave some kind of footprint on the world, an idea of persistence. And finding an old character's corpse would be a sort of mini-adventure in itself, even if ultimately the fancy item you were hoping to reclaim isn't there.

Bonus: eating the corpse could have funny/useful effects, but that might be too morbid. Alternatively, it could be processed in some fashion. Or from the roleplay perspective, one might want to retrieve fallen adventurers and "bury" them in Joppa.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: August 04, 2015, 12:57:34 pm »

Bonus: eating the corpse could have funny/useful effects, but that might be too morbid. Alternatively, it could be processed in some fashion. Or from the roleplay perspective, one might want to retrieve fallen adventurers and "bury" them in Joppa.

We need some effects for eating corpses in general. I don't think the game has any at the moment (even for girshlings).

As for the technical challenges - I think it'd be more feasible if the game simply saved your dead characters general info (equipment, mutations, etc.) and the very general location of where they died. That way the corpse could spawn randomly (and without a whole lotta hoopla) while you were exploring in that general area. It probably wouldn't spawn the corpse in the exact manner of where they died - but it's something.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: August 04, 2015, 02:01:03 pm »

I can see that being pretty exploitable or just cause players to do a lot of wandering around the same areas in hopes of finding their body though. I mean, even if you did only moderately well and died at Red Rock or something, you'd still have loads of reallllly good loot. Even if a lot of your loot had decayed it would probably be worth hunting for it.

I like legacy stuff, but it really needs to be something a bit non-game-able. Giving Tam some of your old loot and affixing your characters name to it would work, as would giving some people a bit of dialogue about your past character (depending on how far he got). Anything other than that would be pretty difficult to balance in my opinion.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: August 04, 2015, 03:59:29 pm »

I can see that being pretty exploitable or just cause players to do a lot of wandering around the same areas in hopes of finding their body though. I mean, even if you did only moderately well and died at Red Rock or something, you'd still have loads of reallllly good loot. Even if a lot of your loot had decayed it would probably be worth hunting for it.

I like legacy stuff, but it really needs to be something a bit non-game-able. Giving Tam some of your old loot and affixing your characters name to it would work, as would giving some people a bit of dialogue about your past character (depending on how far he got). Anything other than that would be pretty difficult to balance in my opinion.
Given how much stuff you can accumulate between Joppa chests, Grit Gate chests, and SPOILER encounters, it could pretty quickly snowball into a massive stockpile. Not saying its a bad thing. Actually, depending on mutations, could make for an interesting encounter. Previous character had Evil Twin? Guess what, he's at the corpse. Burgeoning? Massive field of plants around the corpse.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: August 04, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »

And besides, a corpse wouldn't necessarily have to spawn. It could be a decently rare encounter, like Razuka suggested. On top of that, it could just select say one to three random bits of equipment to appear on the corpse. That way, it'd still be the nice occasional homage to your old characters, and if you happen to find their remains - you'd still get a little reward for your efforts. Nothing necessarily game breaking imo.
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: August 04, 2015, 09:23:49 pm »

I think the whole idea is dumb.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: August 04, 2015, 11:44:36 pm »

It doesn't fit Qud well, in my opinion.  Also, Argyle's previous apprentice is already in the game, sort of -- you can find out what happened to him if you search the marshlands well enough.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: August 05, 2015, 12:06:00 am »

Hah, this bug has been around for literally like 10 years. Feels good.

[Beta branch]
*Incremented save file version (i.e. broke saves)
*Fixed long-standing issue with limb regeneration forgetting parts that had been dismembered
*Fixed an issue with limb regeneration improperly sorting regenerated parts

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3159 on: August 05, 2015, 05:26:41 pm »

Yeah I'm really against legacy or ghost files stuff. I don't really think it fits, and we don't need to shove copycat featured into such a unique game.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: August 05, 2015, 07:41:08 pm »

How do you guys deal with large groups of baddies? Specifically those large bands of goatfolk. Even at higher levels, the hornblower and shaman are a really nasty combo - and I always end up having to retreat or just abuse the hell out of screen change kiting.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3161 on: August 05, 2015, 09:07:04 pm »

Grenades!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: August 05, 2015, 10:32:39 pm »

How do you guys deal with large groups of baddies? Specifically those large bands of goatfolk. Even at higher levels, the hornblower and shaman are a really nasty combo - and I always end up having to retreat or just abuse the hell out of screen change kiting.

Screen change kiting is love. Screen change kiting is life. Unless you have any decent aoe mutations, this will be your mantra. I've never been terribly fond of grenades, since they tend to explode in my face and inconvenience ME as well[The ~2 times I've actually used the things, that is.]. Plus I'm a horrible miser and never use consumables anyways. My main problem with goatfolk is the sower guys and their mini-grenades. They do annoyingly large chunks of ranged damage. At least their seed things are relatively valuable when sold and pretty common.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: August 06, 2015, 03:05:46 am »

Specifically those large bands of goatfolk.
Kill a goat sower and throw the seeds at them.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: August 06, 2015, 06:44:41 am »

Powerful ranged attacks will do it.  High-level Light Manipulation, Freezing / Burning hands, Sunder Mind, or just a good ranged weapon and high agility to aim it.  Kill them as soon as they appear on the screen (they don't tend to appear bunched up in my experience, so you can take your time and let some of your mutations recover as you come across them -- there will always be a lot in the general area, but you shouldn't have to fight dozens at once or anything.)

Proselytize or Beguiling helps by giving you another source of damage and giving them another target.  In my most recent game, I used Domination to teach a unique snapjaw Freezing Hands and level it up.  That's insanely powerful, although it relies a lot on luck.  You can recruit those flying serpent things instead, I think, to get burning hands on a flying ally for sure...?  I can't recall any enemies with guaranteed Freezing Hands, which I think is superior.

The shamans are particularly nasty due to their special abilities.  For them, I find Menacing Stare is incredibly valuable (they won't use their powers while retreating.)  Or you can try to make your ranged attacks so powerful that you can kill them before they get a chance to do anything, like with Sunder Mind.  Or you can use Freezing Hands / Cryokinesis to freeze them solid and maybe kill them.  Berate will slow them down and weaken their mental powers, too.

Clairvoyance is useful against ranged enemies, since it lets you figure out their exact location so you can shoot back at them if they're outside your normal vision range.  Night vision goggles or the kindle mutation also work for this.  Another trick is to throw a glowsphere; just make sure you have another light source.

If you're not a mutant, you need a powerful gun.  It isn't optional.

Also, there's nothing particularly wrong with just retreating if you get into trouble.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:47:35 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 250