Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 571006 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2415 on: June 17, 2012, 03:12:36 pm »

There are a few different ways to get to the stairs
A) Use Acid Grenades (they ignore armor and are super great at damaging walls)
B) Use a vibro blade (also ignores armor)
C) There is a down stair to a tunnel that eventually takes you to Red Rock in the top-left corner pool of Joppa (although you might need to go through it going up for the first time to access it though).
D) Cheat, bind no-clip-down (or whatever it is) and just don't use the stairs, if the game is glitched there isn't really anything wrong with it in my opinion.

That said, A+B won't be that useful if you don't know where the stairs are.

I had the frozen hands ability. Unfortunately, I froze him and ran [out of ammo, and that was pretty much my only attack].
Unless you have a great way to deal with them (freezing hands+cyrokenis are two of the best ways, allies help a lot too, as well as select abilities (eg. force wall to stop grenades)), clones are one of the most consistently deadly things in the game, with about a 50% mortality rating each time (unless you manage to run away well).
But yeah, getting two in a row is pretty terrible luck.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: June 17, 2012, 03:28:53 pm »

There's an axe skill which allows you to penetrate armor on enemies. It really helps to dig through walls. At least it was some time ago. Was it fixed?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: June 18, 2012, 05:58:24 pm »

I don't know if it was fixed. If anyone reported it, probably. If not, it's likely still there.

I just had a really unfair death with a level 10 character. Doing great, on my way to Golgotha, when...
"You have spotted some ruins! Would you like to investigate?"
Sure why not.
*Walks into ruins*
*RAGING SLUMBERLING ONESHOT CHARGE*

Instant death. I find the thought process of slumberlings to be bugged:

"Well hey now, why did you wake me up you stupid little [insert weak enemy name here]? I ought to kill you for that."
"Oh wait a second - there's a PLAYER standing over there. I'll kill him instead."

HashBrowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: June 19, 2012, 11:37:00 am »

Waiting patiently for the next update as I can't seem to run the current one for some reason.  Why oh why didn't I save the last build?   :-[

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: June 20, 2012, 02:54:00 pm »

Is there a way to disable autotargeting? Sometimes, just sometimes... you want to land an aoe attack where it hits everybody, not just one person. ><

In other news: If you decide to kill a trader... don't use corrosive gas as one of your attacks.

And crabs... just go down a different chute :p
I have to second that-- my first trip, I hit the crabs. (That ended poorly.)
Second trip, the gas chutes. Was uncomfortable, but I made it through. (Died to goatmen on the way back to the Grit Gate. Sigh.)
Third trip, fire blasts. Made it through without taking a hit, from combat or the traps.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:02:11 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: June 20, 2012, 04:33:46 pm »

If it's not an option in the Options menu, then disabling autotargeting is impossible, I'm afraid. And I just did a check over all the options - nope.

:(

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: June 20, 2012, 05:18:46 pm »

Is there a way to disable autotargeting? Sometimes, just sometimes... you want to land an aoe attack where it hits everybody, not just one person. ><
Press 'u' while targetting?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 07, 2012, 03:13:27 am »

Just started playing this a few days ago, totally hooked.  A few questions though, its a big thread so sorry if they have been brought up before:

has anyone had any success with rebuking robots or proselytizing to creatures?  I haven't had a single bit of luck with it.  I was wondering just how hard it was, so I edited my stats all up to 25, and still could never get either one to work.

Similarly, ranged weapons are highly inaccurate for me, even when aiming and marking a target.  Even with a very high agility and the various rifle skill bonuses.  Are they just not worth using at more than range 3?  Or are the accuracy bonuses associated with some of the better weapons?

What does "rusted" mean?  It does not seem to effect the performance of an item, as far as I can tell.  My rusted solar cell still works great.

I've had things dissapear from inventory -- one was a red key card which I was very sad to have suddenly go missing.  Another was a lacquered fulerine axe that I bought from the cucumber, and it never appeared in my inventory after I purchased it.  it DID disappear from hers though, so it was a total loss.  Is this a known bug? 

Where the hell is the goatling villiage from the quest?  I've gone up that river all the way to the orbital elevator and not found the thing -- and also down river and back around to grit gate.

What does "rebuke" do?  It says it makes creatures feel shamed, but I can not discern any other effect.

Thanks for any help!

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 07, 2012, 06:16:32 am »

Dunno about rebuking, never got it to work, but didnt try that hard tbh.  I know I got a 'have another creature fight for you' skill working, not sure if it was proselytize, but I was getting snapjaws and stuff to fight for me.

I didnt miss much with the carbine/desert rifle and aimed shots and by memory I would generally have ag of about 20, some of the other guns are a bit more crap, shotties are pretty useless at any sort of range.

Ive never seen items dissapearing, though it has been a while since ive played.

If the goatling village you are talking about is the friendly one (I dont remember it being attached to a quest, again, its been a while) its off to the east from the start over the hills, look for a differnt colour/shape icon on the world map.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 07, 2012, 06:27:57 am »

I started playing this again a few days ago, I noticed the steaming water bug still hasn't been fixed. Rage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didnt miss much with the carbine/desert rifle and aimed shots and by memory I would generally have ag of about 20, some of the other guns are a bit more crap, shotties are pretty useless at any sort of range.

What are you talking about? Shotguns work great for me.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: July 07, 2012, 09:31:59 am »

Time to give this another whirl! I haven't played it in ages and thus will likely die even more quickly than usual.

Edit: Alright, so my two horribly mutated, slobbering psychopaths died off rather quickly, being replaced by a disciplined, cold-hearted praetorian named Vernuld. Armed with a rifle and steel longsword, Vernuld fought his way through the Red Rock cave with only two close calls- once when a crazed cannibal shoved a canister of poison gas in his direction, and once when some hidden plant jabbed a spine through his feet.
Sadly, upon return to town with his objective, Vernuld remembered that he may have accidentally murdered the quest-giver on his rampant looting spree earlier. Whoops.

So, what now? It looks like there are plenty of interesting places to explore on the world map, but at level 5 most of them would be pretty lethal, I'm guessing.
Also, what is the command to wait a turn?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:54:41 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 08, 2012, 11:02:50 am »

has anyone had any success with rebuking robots or proselytizing to creatures?  I haven't had a single bit of luck with it.  I was wondering just how hard it was, so I edited my stats all up to 25, and still could never get either one to work.
Proselytize works only on sentient beings capable of speech.  It may take a few tries to work, but it's not that hard.  My psychics (who almost always start with ego 26, which I believe affects it) don't usually have a problem convincing a watervine farmer in the first town to join me at the start of the game -- it takes two or three tries, generally, but there's no penalty to failing beyond waiting a bit.  When they die, I seem to recall it also working on things like snapjaws and some named uniques.

Only one person will follow you with Proselytize at once, though.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 08, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »

Finally got them to work -- though I had to really crank my Ego to get it to function on anyone who was more than a "Trivial" challenge -- and even at like ego 29 you wont get it working on anyone who is "Hard" or "Impossible".  Never occured to me to try a water vine farmer, thats a great idea!

Had similar results with "Rebuke".

Still dont know what "Berate" does.  There is not much in the way of description, I tried using it as a precursor to soften up targets for Proslatizing, but it didnt seem to work.  Didnt try it on merchants, was too scared.

Also, what the hell is "Search" for?  I just noticed there was a key binding for it, are there secret rooms in places?  Or is it like foraging?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 09, 2012, 04:53:49 pm »

Finally got them to work -- though I had to really crank my Ego to get it to function on anyone who was more than a "Trivial" challenge -- and even at like ego 29 you wont get it working on anyone who is "Hard" or "Impossible".  Never occured to me to try a water vine farmer, thats a great idea!

Also, what the hell is "Search" for?  I just noticed there was a key binding for it, are there secret rooms in places?  Or is it like foraging?
I think that's intended to stop you from getting someone at level 20 right off the bat and making 50% of the game trivial.

Search looks for hidden things around you. At the moment the only one that I know of is those things that hide in the ground and make you bleed when you step on them, I assume that it will work for traps and such when they are added later.

Time to give this another whirl! I haven't played it in ages and thus will likely die even more quickly than usual.
So, what now? It looks like there are plenty of interesting places to explore on the world map, but at level 5 most of them would be pretty lethal, I'm guessing.
Also, what is the command to wait a turn?
Personally, I would reccomend *NOT* killing anyone in the starting town besides the watervine farmers till you are sure you have completed all the quests there (and leaving both the merchant and the tinker alive so you can buy/sell them stuff).

This is what I usually do A) do the rust wells quest B) Do the red rock quest C) do the gologatha quest (which requires you to go to grit gate) D) do the goatman quest E) do the Bethsda Suda quest F) No clue, you can run around and kill stuff, but I can't think of anything to really do after that.

Similarly, ranged weapons are highly inaccurate for me, even when aiming and marking a target.  Even with a very high agility and the various rifle skill bonuses.  Are they just not worth using at more than range 3?  Or are the accuracy bonuses associated with some of the better weapons?

What does "rusted" mean?  It does not seem to effect the performance of an item, as far as I can tell.  My rusted solar cell still works great.

Where the hell is the goatling villiage from the quest?  I've gone up that river all the way to the orbital elevator and not found the thing -- and also down river and back around to grit gate.
As long as you have 20+ agi and the first rifle skill, rifles should have a good chance of hitting enemies and anything besides extreme range.

Rusted breaks armor/weapons, but for some reason doesn't effect power cells (and maybe some other items), and if I remember correctly, drops the value to 0.

Somewhere along the river is a bloody area, follow the blood and you should find the village (but it is still a huge pain in the ass to find).

Still dont know what "Berate" does.  There is not much in the way of description, I tried using it as a precursor to soften up targets for Proslatizing, but it didnt seem to work.  Didnt try it on merchants, was too scared.
I believe that berate gives enemies a penalty to some skills/stats or something, but am unsure of the exact effect.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:16:55 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 09, 2012, 08:15:30 pm »

The best part about it is that watervine farmers usually carry a ton of vinewafers, which you can loot off their corpse when they inevitably die.  Their weapon isn't terrible for the early game, either.

(They also have Harvest, but you can't make them use it unless you have Domination, sadly.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 250