Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570693 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1665 on: April 11, 2011, 08:02:33 pm »

I killed my best character by jumping into water while I was on fire.  The steam cooked me in a hurry.

This raises a concern for me, about the game itself.  The temperature system reminds me of Dwarf Fortress, in that any deviation from room-temperature easily cascades into a deadly plague, with little relationship to the laws of thermodynamics or conduction.  I can understand a thermal grenade flash-cooking a puddle into steam.  But if you're on fire, shouldn't jumping into a puddle put you out?
It generally does, but if your temperature is really high, sometimes the temp boils the water, and if you stay in it a turn, turns to steam and kills you. I think that if you walk right out again you will be fine (while waiting a turn will let it kill you), no matter what your temperature, but i could be wrong.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: April 11, 2011, 08:03:27 pm »

Well, if your spontaneously combusting, you could assume that its being fueled by an internal source.

But yeah, heat and temp seem to be working on an absolute scale of temp rather then the relative scale temp really is. But then again, programming Joules into the game would add a lot of bloat and annoyance.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: April 11, 2011, 08:35:37 pm »

I've been assuming that the mechanic is just half finished and will be more finely tuned at some point. Certainly there's still a lot of unfinished content, but I don't know if that correlated with unfinished mechanics.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1668 on: April 11, 2011, 08:44:37 pm »

Phase cannons are extremely powerful.

I had one on one of my chars who had Evil Twin, and right after getting it the twin showed up and one shotted me with it (right through my 13 AV).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: April 11, 2011, 08:56:54 pm »

Why isn't there a texture pack for this yet? I assume it's a technical problem?

Love the game but the ascii is a big distraction for me.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: April 11, 2011, 09:04:54 pm »

It's running off of the CPU default fonts. Unfortunately, from what I've seen of the forums, it causes issues with any regional setting that isn't standard USA, but it's also not a high priority to implement a tileset for the developer, since it would take a while to match up all the critters to the file.

Edit: That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Deon were to have a graphics set ready to spring on the game. That man is a crazy good spriter.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:06:47 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: April 12, 2011, 01:23:40 am »

You can still pour salt water on yourself to douse the flames. Heck, you can pour slime on yourself if you felt up to it. About 2 cantines filled with various liquids should save you until you can find another tile of liquid. But, that does come to about 15 lb of weight to carry it all.

You don't even need liquids, you can just wait and you'll put out the fire automatically in a few turns.

Though this is not advisable if you're fighting 2-3 fire ants/troll flamethrowers and they're pelting you with flaming hands every turn.

I still don't understand how using liquids is better? Do they give resistance?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: April 12, 2011, 02:28:30 am »

It's running off of the CPU default fonts. Unfortunately, from what I've seen of the forums, it causes issues with any regional setting that isn't standard USA, but it's also not a high priority to implement a tileset for the developer, since it would take a while to match up all the critters to the file.

Edit: That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Deon were to have a graphics set ready to spring on the game. That man is a crazy good spriter.

When we get ready to do graphics, we'll for sure give Deon the opportunity to opt in or out of the project :)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: April 12, 2011, 02:29:00 am »

[doublepost I'm dumb]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:35:23 am by unormal »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: April 12, 2011, 03:22:38 am »

???
You cannot possibly comprehend the mighty thing that is The Dot!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: April 12, 2011, 06:12:52 am »

You can still pour salt water on yourself to douse the flames. Heck, you can pour slime on yourself if you felt up to it. About 2 cantines filled with various liquids should save you until you can find another tile of liquid. But, that does come to about 15 lb of weight to carry it all.

You don't even need liquids, you can just wait and you'll put out the fire automatically in a few turns.

Though this is not advisable if you're fighting 2-3 fire ants/troll flamethrowers and they're pelting you with flaming hands every turn.

I still don't understand how using liquids is better? Do they give resistance?

In my experience, you will be on fire for at least 20 turns, and with  internal combustion, over 40 turns or more sometimes. This means early game you will die if you can't find water FAST. Its also terribly inconvienent when you are about to die fighting a drillbot. [P]ouring liquid over yourself puts out the fire the turn you do it, saving you the damage and wasting one turn. If you don't have to flee the area, you can just simply scoop up about 75% of the original liquid or so back up from the ground.

I believe fire also might have to do with temperature, which may be what the above person was talking about. I haven't really been paying attention to temperature until I got freezing hands this character around, and its likely that the higher your temperature is, the longer you will be on fire. So pouring water on yourself resets your temperature, likely.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: April 12, 2011, 06:24:15 am »

When we get ready to do graphics, we'll for sure give Deon the opportunity to opt in or out of the project :)
Yeah, we've already asked about that, and apparently it's not in the development plan for the close future yet. There's still a lot of stuff to do, so the graphics are not a major concern. Still I can't wait to try it as soon as the opportunity arises :P.

By the way, about the steam and the water... It would be nice if the steam had a temperature by itself which would affect the damage. Then the water would just evaporate if you're too hot and wouldn't kill you. It doesn't seem to be intuitive NOT to die from the temperature but to die from this temperature boiling a water.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: April 12, 2011, 07:53:04 am »

I hit whatever it was I was fighting with a torch and lit him up, then caught myself on fire when I tried to walk over his flaming corpse.  There was a pool two squares away, so I thought "hey, why not?" 

You take 25 damage from the scalding steam!  You die!

It's probably just an unfinished mechanic.   And yes, I did wait a square in the water (not seeing the cloud of steam I was standing in, but seeing it around me.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: April 12, 2011, 08:09:32 am »

I've had my temperature get up to 5k or so when I got trapped with a couple of fire ants; survived that, but it took pouring water over myself to get that back to normal. Usually, I've seen one 'on-fire' hit take you to 300-500 or thereabouts, and two or three turns of waiting will be enough to beat the flames out.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 250