Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570676 times)

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1650 on: April 11, 2011, 08:39:43 am »

What level should I attempt Golgotha at? I tried at level 4 but I could only kill about 6 things before being surrounded.

Golgotha is, quest-wise, after you hit the Grit Gate. I was ~14 or so when I started, 18 when I hit bottom. A king Crab still almost ate me once, what with their 18 penetration rating..

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: April 11, 2011, 10:01:47 am »

Generally I do the Red Rock quest and then get wire at the Rust Wells. After that I usually either explore the caves under Joppa that connect to Red Rock or search the area around Joppa for lairs. Once I've done that for a bit I'll head to Grit Gate.

Or I'll have died by then. Either way, you find nastier stuff the further you go in the game so it pays to get yourself to the level where you can handle things like drillbots goatfolk savages without getting creamed before going to Grit Gate and on to Golgotha.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: April 11, 2011, 10:03:32 am »

i only got to first level of golgotha 2 goddamn drillbots 2 argoflys an random stuff, does rebuke robot really work?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: April 11, 2011, 11:53:26 am »

i only got to first level of golgotha 2 goddamn drillbots 2 argoflys an random stuff, does rebuke robot really work?
I'm pretty sure it's a togglable thing. Like wings or corrosive gas.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 11, 2011, 11:55:05 am »

It's based on Ego, so if you don't put anything into it as a True Man, it's severely weak.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:54 pm »

It's based on Ego, so if you don't put anything into it as a True Man, it's severely weak.
i always have like 19-20 ego.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: April 11, 2011, 01:45:27 pm »

The Regeneration mutation - Does it scale with your current hit points?

With four ranks in the mutation, at around 80/110, I'll heal a point just about every round. When I was just at 12/110 previously, it took 485 rounds of resting to heal up; why?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: April 11, 2011, 03:53:18 pm »

Two bugs I've noticed:

1)  You can close a door you're standing on.

2)  The "don't autopickup if hostiles are nearby" (and I think "rest until healed" as well) seems to have some sort of ESP that the player doesn't.  In other words, if there's a nearby monster that you don't know about, the autopickup (or rest) won't occur.  It can be a bit of an early warning that something is nearby.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: April 11, 2011, 05:56:02 pm »

Does willpower and toughness have to do with hitpoint regeneration? That's what it says on the character creation screen
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: April 11, 2011, 06:13:09 pm »

Among the many other great things going on in this game, I have a Data Disc for a "Hand-e-Nuke" or whatever it's called.  I can't learn it yet because I don't have Tinker III, but I can't wait to see what it does.

Say, what does the Hand-e-Nuke do, anyway?  I have a distinct feeling I'm going to blow the crap out of myself.

Does willpower and toughness have to do with hitpoint regeneration? That's what it says on the character creation screen

It seems to, but bear in mind the integer effect.  I don't know the actual math, but if it takes, say, four more points of Willpower to get your hitpoint regeneration from every 4 turns to every 3 turns, you're probably never going to notice.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: April 11, 2011, 06:18:23 pm »

Hand-e nuke is a nuke. That you can through like a grenade.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #1661 on: April 11, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »

Far out just made the dumbest mistake this morning. I had the beginnings of a decent character, got up to level 7 or so. I used the flaming hands power and it hit a pool of brackish water, changing the colour of it. I walked into it. AAAAAAGHHHHHHHH.

It would have taken two seconds to 'l'ook at it... Guh.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: April 11, 2011, 07:25:34 pm »

I killed my best character by jumping into water while I was on fire.  The steam cooked me in a hurry.

I just got a sniper rifle, and I could have gotten a schem for a freeze ray too...

Anyone seen a phase cannon?  It sounds neat, but what is it?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: April 11, 2011, 07:34:54 pm »

Anyone seen a phase cannon?  It sounds neat, but what is it?
A very good energy weapon, don't think it has any special effects.

Say, what does the Hand-e-Nuke do, anyway?  I have a distinct feeling I'm going to blow the crap out of myself.
You will die if you throw it. You could set it as a mine/bomb, then climb/descend stairs to survive (or use a recoiler), but barring that, you will die.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: April 11, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »

I killed my best character by jumping into water while I was on fire.  The steam cooked me in a hurry.

This raises a concern for me, about the game itself.  The temperature system reminds me of Dwarf Fortress, in that any deviation from room-temperature easily cascades into a deadly plague, with little relationship to the laws of thermodynamics or conduction.  I can understand a thermal grenade flash-cooking a puddle into steam.  But if you're on fire, shouldn't jumping into a puddle put you out?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 250