Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 570301 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #1365 on: March 24, 2011, 11:45:18 am »

I found a pickaxe, described as a sturdy fullerite pick bound to an ancient metal shaft. Are you supposed to be able to dig with it? I tried digging out a shale wall with it, and it didn't seem to do much. After like 100 rounds of bashing it didnt kill the wall. I can dig better with the gaslight krys I made. Maybe my char is too weak, only 15 str.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 24, 2011, 02:13:19 pm »

Best items for digging are axes, because of the Cleave skill. Is the pick an "axe"?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 24, 2011, 02:22:14 pm »

Best items for digging are axes, because of the Cleave skill. Is the pick an "axe"?
Not quite. Assuming you have cleave, yes, but acid grenades and cudgels are the best in general.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 24, 2011, 03:29:44 pm »

Well, why cudgels? They can't penetrate materials unless you have a superior weapon. And cleave is just 50 points :P. That's what I use for digging.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 24, 2011, 03:38:53 pm »

Cudgels tend to have 3-4 penetration, even with just 1d2 damage, at low strength.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 24, 2011, 04:05:20 pm »

Farting acid gas is pretty useful. I love that power.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 24, 2011, 04:42:02 pm »

I didn't find it particularly useful as a combat power, since it very quickly destroys the loot of anything it kills (and you don't even get experience for the things it kills). Somewhat more useful in digging and destroying walls but you're still at a high risk of destroying a chest full of good stuff if you destroying the wall and the gas expands into the room.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:45 pm »

I usually have it at level 1 when I can, just for walls and doors.

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 24, 2011, 11:18:49 pm »

I was pretty happy with this guy.

Meet Stilgar, the Level 24 Mutant Nomad, with Level 10 Regeneration, Level 10 Triple-Jointed, Level 6 Heightened Speed (if I recall correctly), Night Vision, and Slime Glands (for teh roflskates). Dual-wielding two very powerful long swords meant death for my foes, and I eventually got bored of slaughtering everything. However, it would have been rude to just abandon this guy after all the time I invested in playing as him. Ergo, last night, with three hundred pounds of earthworm jerky in hand, I set out into the Deathlands... where I met a chrome pyramid. Four rounds later, after assessing I wanted a glorious death, it fulfilled my request.

Anyway, I'm not much of a fan of mental mutations - not for lack of trying, but because they kill too slow for me. Even with high Willpower, the cooldown aggravates me too much. I understand that's required to limit the power of the mental mutations, though, so I'm not complaining; I just prefer the style I implemented with this guy.

Also, yeah, I still had his recycling suit at the end. It wouldn't have been right to part him from it.

EDIT: This guy was my last on version 1.0.4095.40678, before DV could be applied to projectile weaponry. That would have been very useful.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:30:13 pm by Grimith »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 24, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »

Yeah, mental mutations have long cooldowns. However, some of them are really good if you remember to use them. Besides, they're not meant to be used all the time, just on tough enemies or enemies that are about to kill you.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 24, 2011, 11:55:52 pm »

Using mental mutations certainly requires more situational awareness than I employed with my Mutant Nomad, and I agree: They can't be relied upon to do everything. I believe my biggest problem in adjusting to using mental mutations successfully stems from implementing them wisely without gimping myself (as it turns out, while it is possible to keep a mutant starting with 24 Willpower and Ego alive, it's no cakewalk). However, with physical mutations like my aforementioned character possessed, I didn't have to analyze too much - and get killed for being wrong.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 25, 2011, 03:35:39 pm »

Well.

I believe I may well have the record for the shortest game, at 19 turns survived. Why, you might ask?

Well, my Evil Twin decided to spawn pretty much right next to me in Joppa, right as the game started. Quills hurt!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 25, 2011, 03:39:34 pm »

That's odd. The Warden usually takes charge and ice blasts any hostiles in Joppa right away.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 25, 2011, 04:54:13 pm »

That's odd. The Warden usually takes charge and ice blasts any hostiles in Joppa right away.
I once ran around him in circles while my evil clone was chasing me.

He did NOTHING.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 25, 2011, 05:02:33 pm »

10 drams on that he couldnt decide who to shoot.

Imagine it. A random mutated traveller comes to town, then suddenly another completely identical one pops up and starts to attack the first one. My reaction would be that someone screwed up temporal fugue.

EDIT: On a similar note, what wouldnt be weird to imagine in this game?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 250