Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265811 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2490 on: August 02, 2011, 06:54:51 am »

I'm starting to think they don't actually have a new engine.

I never did buy this "new engine" baloney.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:05 am »

Yeah, I haven't read much about Skyrim, but I clearly remember one of the interviews/articles stating that cities will have their own worldspaces.

I'm kinda ambivalent on the issue, actually. Separate worldspaced does mean they can make the cities larger on the inside without taking up too much space on the "true" world map. Towns in games are always so pitifully small. A smithy, two inns and one general store in the whole capital? Quite the metropole indeed.

So yeah, that's a break from "realism" I would willingly make to have cities that actually look something like large settlements, if not quite town-like.
That ain't the reason for seperate maps at all. Oblivion's cities were the same size on the inside as they were on the outside. They do this for performance reasons.
As a matter of point, there's a mod that brings the cities into the worldmap, and they look exactly the same. Performance is also fine, though there is increased memory usage, which the consoles can't handle.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 02, 2011, 09:30:20 am »

Yeah, I haven't read much about Skyrim, but I clearly remember one of the interviews/articles stating that cities will have their own worldspaces.

I'm kinda ambivalent on the issue, actually. Separate worldspaced does mean they can make the cities larger on the inside without taking up too much space on the "true" world map. Towns in games are always so pitifully small. A smithy, two inns and one general store in the whole capital? Quite the metropole indeed.

So yeah, that's a break from "realism" I would willingly make to have cities that actually look something like large settlements, if not quite town-like.
That ain't the reason for seperate maps at all. Oblivion's cities were the same size on the inside as they were on the outside. They do this for performance reasons.
Never said it was "the" reason for it, in Oblivion, Skyrim or any other game - I know it isn't. The point was that that could be a positive side of having separate world spaces, it they want it too. In my eyes, there's little reason to having them the same size if you won't be able to travel seamlessly between them anyway.

I never did buy this "new engine" baloney.
From what I get out from reading between the lines (and it might just be my negativity showing itself, mind you) it's technically a new engine, but it works much like the old one. A more modern, re-made version of it, you could say.
Love, scriver~

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 02, 2011, 09:49:31 am »

Digitgrade legs in Morrowind were neat (except maybe their animation), put me down as another fan wanting them to return in Skyrim.

As long as they refrain from giving Argonian females breats I'll be happy, though. I mean seriously, why on Earth would a race that lays eggs have breats?!

Yeah, it's a bit nitpicky, and I guess it saved the modellers some time, but seriously it annoyed the hell out of me every time I met an Argonian female, especially after finding a note referencing 'hatchlings' >:(

There was a scaled burrowing mammal. It breastfed it's children, but leyed eggs. Why shouldn;t agronians be the same?
Note: This creature is extinct and I can't remember it's name :/

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 02, 2011, 02:56:02 pm »

The reason Khajiit shouldn't have digitigrade legs is because they are furries, whether anybody likes it or not, and furries are just hairy people with animal heads.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 02, 2011, 03:03:59 pm »

The reason Khajiit shouldn't have digitigrade legs is because they are furries, whether anybody likes it or not, and furries are just hairy people with animal heads.

Beg to differ

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 02, 2011, 03:11:29 pm »

There was a scaled burrowing mammal. It breastfed it's children, but leyed eggs. Why shouldn;t agronians be the same?
Note: This creature is extinct and I can't remember it's name :/
There's a good reason. :P

Although seriously, the more unique they are compared to the other races, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I don't get why people would want breasts on Argonians other than to defend the developers' laziness.

...what?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 02, 2011, 03:17:15 pm »

Although seriously, the more unique they are compared to the other races, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I don't get why people would want breasts on Argonians other than to defend the developers' laziness.

Well they are tits. Almost everything is better with tits, especially if you're a fifteen year old console gamer retard.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 02, 2011, 03:37:47 pm »

Yeah Oblivion changed things around...it's not like argonians had breasts in Daggerf...oh wait.
Maybe they changed it from Are...nope.

Must be a lazy modelling decision.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: August 02, 2011, 04:08:52 pm »

Well they are tits. Almost everything is better with tits, especially if you're a fifteen year old console gamer retard.
Well thanks for profiling me in with whatever traumatic experience you had with console gamers as a child, but it may startle you to know that not everyone has a PC good enough to run modern games at a decent FPS.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 02, 2011, 04:36:09 pm »

Well thanks for profiling me in with whatever traumatic experience you had with console gamers as a child, but it may startle you to know that not everyone has a PC good enough to run modern games at a decent FPS.

What startles me is that people would buy consoles rather than invest that money into making their PCs better. Let's not get bogged down in the console vs PC debate, though.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 02, 2011, 04:48:37 pm »

Yeah Oblivion changed things around...it's not like argonians had breasts in Daggerf...oh wait.
Maybe they changed it from Are...nope.

Must be a lazy modelling decision.
Har-har.

Everything looked like slightly altered humans in Arena as well, but I don't see people asking for a return to Argonians and Khajiits looking like cos-players. And there was barely any lore to speak of. Up until Morrowind the setting had been getting more complex and unique. Oblivion feels like a regression from having the races be more unique to making them more homogeneous.

EDIT: And however you look at it, it's always easier when all the races are skeletally the same, most notably for the animators (and neither Arena nor Daggerfall had third-person view).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:57:35 pm by Virtz »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 02, 2011, 05:07:36 pm »

And however you look at it, it's always easier when all the races are skeletally the same, most notably for the animators (and neither Arena nor Daggerfall had third-person view).

They did have paper dolls, though. Having argonian females without breasts would've required a separate set of upper body clothing sprites.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 02, 2011, 05:27:46 pm »

And however you look at it, it's always easier when all the races are skeletally the same, most notably for the animators (and neither Arena nor Daggerfall had third-person view).

They did have paper dolls, though. Having argonian females without breasts would've required a separate set of upper body clothing sprites.
Well, that too, but considering how they stuck flat masks onto Argonian faces, I don't think they'd have a problem with putting breasted shirts on breastless torsos.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 02, 2011, 05:52:17 pm »

Mmm, longest discussion on reptilian breasts I have come across in quite a while.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 201