Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265809 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2475 on: August 01, 2011, 05:16:01 pm »

The main reason im excited about Skyrim (Besides you know, Skyrim itself.) is that Bethesda will be using a new engine. If I have to play another game with that shitty engine, im going to rage.
I liked the paintbrush glitch, but I once kicked a paintbrush jar and I discovered perpetual motion.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2476 on: August 01, 2011, 05:22:52 pm »

It's not the same engine. Even if it's built on the same bones, they've definitely rebuilt so much of it it's basically gone.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: August 01, 2011, 10:20:58 pm »

The reason there are no diseased or maimed people is that everybody in the world has access to "Restore Minor Wounds". And also, because diseases last a maximum of 30 seconds unless it is Poryphoric Hemophilia (Actually, there are a few long-term diseases in Oblivion).

Bull, there were blind people in Morrowind, and I doubt that a mill worker is good enough to put all his pasty ground fingers back one right. I just want to see a few people missing limbs, fingers, and or extremities.

A nord berserker who got his nose chopped off in some battle would fit perfectly with the setting.

...What about the blind monks in Oblivion?

:P
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:29 pm »

Just think of any new fallout games using the Skyrim engine, that would be epic.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: August 01, 2011, 11:52:09 pm »

Did they say anything about whether there would be loading walls in outdoor environments (like the cities in Oblivion) again?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: August 02, 2011, 01:43:21 am »

Did they say anything about whether there would be loading walls in outdoor environments (like the cities in Oblivion) again?

No, which leads me to think there will be. If they'd made such a significant improvement, I think they'd have shown it off. You can kinda see in their promo materials how they try to hide stuff they know isn't up to snuff. Like if there's a shot of a Khajiit, it's only from the waist up to hide the fact he doesn't have digitigrade legs. If there's a shot of a guy in a robe walking down a street, it's only from the waist up to hide the fact there's no dynamic cloth simulation. There's no footage of entering or exiting dungeons to hide the fact caves have doors on them again.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: August 02, 2011, 01:45:20 am »

I wonder if you're being a little too paranoid (although I can see why, given radiant AI and what all).

Also, did Khajiit EVER have digitigrade legs?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: August 02, 2011, 01:55:29 am »

It was already indicated (in this thread, I believe) that there is still a loading screen between cities and outdoor environments.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: August 02, 2011, 02:23:37 am »

I wonder if you're being a little too paranoid (although I can see why, given radiant AI and what all).

Also, did Khajiit EVER have digitigrade legs?

Well I consciously try to set my expectations as low as possible, ie. I assume everything that isn't confirmed to be good to be crap. Not (just) because I'm a bitter asshole, but because that way I can be pleasantly surprised. If, on the other hand, I uncritically listen to the hype and let my expectations go through the roof, I will inevitably end up disappointed.

Spoiler: And yes, they did. (click to show/hide)

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: August 02, 2011, 02:31:31 am »

I think they changed it because as implemented at the time, it looks more like a compound fracture than an a god-given trait.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: August 02, 2011, 03:42:33 am »

No, which leads me to think there will be. If they'd made such a significant improvement, I think they'd have shown it off. You can kinda see in their promo materials how they try to hide stuff they know isn't up to snuff. Like if there's a shot of a Khajiit, it's only from the waist up to hide the fact he doesn't have digitigrade legs. If there's a shot of a guy in a robe walking down a street, it's only from the waist up to hide the fact there's no dynamic cloth simulation. There's no footage of entering or exiting dungeons to hide the fact caves have doors on them again.

This is true. They do that a lot.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: August 02, 2011, 03:56:22 am »

Its not possible given the limitation of current console generation.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: August 02, 2011, 04:02:24 am »

That said, I expect a mod real fast.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: August 02, 2011, 06:32:44 am »

Yeah, I haven't read much about Skyrim, but I clearly remember one of the interviews/articles stating that cities will have their own worldspaces.

I'm kinda ambivalent on the issue, actually. Separate worldspaced does mean they can make the cities larger on the inside without taking up too much space on the "true" world map. Towns in games are always so pitifully small. A smithy, two inns and one general store in the whole capital? Quite the metropole indeed.

So yeah, that's a break from "realism" I would willingly make to have cities that actually look something like large settlements, if not quite town-like.
Love, scriver~

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: August 02, 2011, 06:42:22 am »

It is possible as long as your engine is suitable for it. And Skyrim ain't The Witcher 2 in terms of graphics, so I'd expect better from them.

Oblivion even had trouble loading exterior cells on the fly, making horse-riding a total chore (as if it wasn't already useless enough). And to look at something that handled this better, there's Two Worlds 2. Or even Gothic 3 (although that was plagued with problems everywhere else).

If they really still have all the cities walled in, then I'm starting to think they don't actually have a new engine. Zenimax bought out Gamebryo after its developer went under, they updated it a little and renamed it to something else. And even if that ain't true, what's the point of a new engine if you're going to do all the same fuck ups as before?

Yeah, I haven't read much about Skyrim, but I clearly remember one of the interviews/articles stating that cities will have their own worldspaces.

I'm kinda ambivalent on the issue, actually. Separate worldspaced does mean they can make the cities larger on the inside without taking up too much space on the "true" world map. Towns in games are always so pitifully small. A smithy, two inns and one general store in the whole capital? Quite the metropole indeed.

So yeah, that's a break from "realism" I would willingly make to have cities that actually look something like large settlements, if not quite town-like.
That ain't the reason for seperate maps at all. Oblivion's cities were the same size on the inside as they were on the outside. They do this for performance reasons.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 201