Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266188 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1380 on: February 07, 2011, 05:16:45 pm »

Wow, did everyone except glowcat just ignore my post? Why are we back to the 'gifted few' idea that we mostly seemed to disagree on?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:13:58 am by Cheese »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: February 07, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »

What.

Didn't I just agree with the notion that it takes study and research to be able to use spells?

EDIT: Also, define "gifted few". Should people in TES have a mark or flag or divine inspiration or something that allows them to use magick? Remember that in the middle ages, only a gifted few were able to read, and it wasn't for some biological reason.

It could be assumed that the act of going to the nearest "spell shop" and buying a new spell ($$$ ka-ching! $$$) is actually learning said spell, maybe for weeks or months? Just like you just go and pay a trainer to make you awesome at axe swinging for a few bucks and takes what, a few hours at most?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:39:12 pm by Sergius »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: February 07, 2011, 05:36:46 pm »

Every TES lore discussion leads to people arguing because of how badly bethesta varies it between games due to gameplay limitations
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1383 on: February 07, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »

Bethesda will never fully be forgiven for forgetting that Cyrodill was rainforest and the Empire was part Aztec. Oblivion could have been really neat.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: February 07, 2011, 05:58:43 pm »

Bethesda will never fully be forgiven for forgetting that Cyrodill was rainforest and the Empire was part Aztec. Oblivion could have been really neat.

Hell, even in Morrowind the Empire was very Romanesque. And haven't Imperials always had pseudo-latin names? Also, didn't Arena take place in Cyrodill  as well, and was not the architecture there more or less European?

I don know. On the style of the Empire, I give them a pass, but you're right when it comes to the whole Rainforest thing
!!&!!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: February 07, 2011, 06:04:37 pm »

From morrowind to oblivion the empire changed from roman empire to generic human fantasy people. Anyway, I aways wished TES armors would look less "fabulous" and look more realistic. I only like armors up to chainmail, from plate and onward they start looking a bit too detailed, I don't like to walk around looking like a christmas tree. The ebony armor in oblivion looked terrible.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: February 07, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »

The only thing Roman about it are Roman-esqe games, the main city and hordes of generic Legionaries. The concept basically ends there and the rest of the Empire is, for all intents and purposes, feudal.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 08, 2011, 03:13:09 am »

I love Daedric Armor. I hope they have some kind of armor made from dragon bones or something like that, in order to tie in with the story.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: February 08, 2011, 05:37:20 am »

Scale mail. Made from, well, dragon scales, obviously. And I'll give them huge props if each scale is an independent object affected by physics rather than just painted on.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 08, 2011, 09:31:44 am »

What I mean is, instead of seeing magic and saying "Eh, that's magic for you," magic more along the lines of "OMG the laws of PHYSICS are being BROKEN RIGHT NOW! :O"

I always liked the magic system in Mage.  You were genuinely defying the laws of physics/reality.  And you suffered for it.  And the more witnesses there were, and the more obvious the magic, the more you suffered.

Of course...  It's kind of hard to code something so open-ended and vague into a game...

The problem we come to, again, is one of game mechanics.  It really doesn't matter how mystical or supernatural magic is from a lore perspective...  Once you get into the gameplay it just becomes another ability to use to kill monsters.  A button you press that has an effect.  Not much different from hitting the "use" key on a boat or hitting the "attack" key with a sword equipped.

Hurling a fireball does ranged damage, maybe with a blast radius.  Not much different than firing off an arrow or a bullet or a laser gun.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: February 08, 2011, 09:54:10 am »

I always liked the magic system in Mage.

it has it's flaws, however. if you play with engineers, force level two is ridiculously overpowered. the backslash idea is nice, akin of the demons/shadows looking for you in the discworld or in the lotr rpg.

black&white had a nice twist of hand waving magic instead of simple button mashing, still far from making it feel proper, but different enough from the standard clicky stuff.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 08, 2011, 10:02:40 am »

black&white had a nice twist of hand waving magic instead of simple button mashing, still far from making it feel proper, but different enough from the standard clicky stuff.

Arx Fatalis had a similar magic system which was cool, and would fit in well with TES.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: February 08, 2011, 10:06:59 am »

Arx Fatalis had a similar magic system which was cool, and would fit in well with TES.

yeah, reminds me the older and awesome system used for sword fighting in die by the sword.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: February 08, 2011, 02:58:36 pm »

Oh hey they managed to make characters not look like complete shit! Series first!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: February 08, 2011, 03:02:29 pm »

Ya know, she kinda looks realistic... the face I mean.  Not smooth faced and stuff with 'age lines'.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 201