Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265452 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #840 on: January 21, 2011, 10:24:54 pm »

Had anyone actually seen what race and sex Sheogorath was before the Shivering Isles? In Morrowind, he was a huge stone statue, his most distinguishing features his jacket and cane. It's not like he has to make a personal appearance in every game.

Or he could appear in whatever form he wishes I guess. Daedra can do that, can't they? He'll give you your quests as a swan or a burning bush or a golden shower or something divine like that.

Or maybe someone else has already replaced him offscreen.

Maybe the old Sheogorath has taken his title back.

Maybe Lord Vivec is now Sheogorath? :o

The third is the fun one: There's no reason whatsoever to assume that the dragon 'V' sound sounds anything at all like the human 'V' sound. There's a number of real-world languages that use (or can use, anyway) the same symbol ("letter") to designate different sounds than the symbol is used to designate in other languages. My own fun idea is that the draconic V is the sound of their upper teeth crunching through the bones of overly curious humans :P

'Cept that humans can speak Dragonese too. It's a huge plot point, apparently. Some old emperors could do it, as well as the Nord graybeards, whoever those are. And the PC. The glyph that the devs saw fit to mark with 'V' corresponds to a sound that a human can make. Now, this is just idle speculation, but I think it could be the 'V' sound. :P

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 21, 2011, 10:35:27 pm »

In every game, even his statues if you look, are male humans, what species of human? who the hell knows, but they always look generally the same.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 21, 2011, 10:37:02 pm »

'Cept that humans can speak Dragonese too. It's a huge plot point, apparently. Some old emperors could do it, as well as the Nord graybeards, whoever those are. And the PC. The glyph that the devs saw fit to mark with 'V' corresponds to a sound that a human can make. Now, this is just idle speculation, but I think it could be the 'V' sound. :P

Bah! That's not nearly as interesting :-\

On the flip side, dragon's teeth crunching on human bone isn't a sound humans can't make. So my WAG could still be accurate. Dragons would just have to gift their teeth to people they want to communicate with, or artificial things shaped like dragon's teeth (dentures, if you will) would have to be made.

It would totally add a new dimension to the game if communication carried legal and moral repercussions :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 21, 2011, 10:47:17 pm »

Had anyone actually seen what race and sex Sheogorath was before the Shivering Isles? In Morrowind, he was a huge stone statue, his most distinguishing features his jacket and cane. It's not like he has to make a personal appearance in every game.

He was a daedra prince, not a mortal. He didn't exactly have "sex" as far as I know. Granted, he tended to appear in a similar form most of the time, but that doesn't mean he was whatever that form happened to look like.

Honestly, the plot of Shivering Isles makes no damn sense to me. Daedra (especially the Daedric Princes) aren't mortals, aren't of this world and, hell, are barely even comprehensible by mortal standards. They're weird cosmic beings that embody concepts and cannot be destroyed. It makes very little sense to me that a mortal would all of a sudden become one, or that said mortal would remain mostly unchanged by the change in status instead of turning into the sort of bizarre, unknowable cosmic entity that daedric princes are considered... especially since we're talking about one of the least predictable of them all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 21, 2011, 11:09:17 pm »

Well Daedra Princes and Aedra are basicly the same thing with one or two small difference to my knowledge, and a human has, supposedly, become an Aedra in the past, It's not that much of a stretch to think a mortal could become a daedric prince as well/
Because I can"-WolfTengu

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 21, 2011, 11:31:43 pm »

Moral of the story: That which is considerably bigger than you and capable of speech can call themselves anything they bloody well please. Whatchu gon' do about it?
`
*clicks dragon*
kill
*enter*
`

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 21, 2011, 11:43:24 pm »

Pssssh, Why do you people want to talk to dragons.. There only good for one thing KILLING!
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 21, 2011, 11:51:32 pm »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 21, 2011, 11:53:14 pm »

Pssssh, Why do you people want to talk to dragons.. There only good for one thing KILLING!

I find it amusing how much weird cliche stuff there is like this in this thread. Do people think that TES has to adhere to every fantasy stereotype, or what? Hell, they're practically in the habit of breaking and subverting them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 22, 2011, 12:23:11 am »

I find the argument about whether dragons can talk or write seems kind of silly. I mean, we are talking about a world where magic is sort of part of the laws of nature or something. Pretty much any argument can be ended simply by the existence of magic.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 22, 2011, 12:26:46 am »

I find the argument about whether dragons can talk or write seems kind of silly. I mean, we are talking about a world where magic is sort of part of the laws of nature or something. Pretty much any argument can be ended simply by the existence of magic.
Except that magic itself has laws and rules it needs to follow, not a speciel 'anything excuse' button. But you're point still makes sense.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 22, 2011, 12:47:09 am »

Except that magic itself has laws and rules it needs to follow, not a speciel 'anything excuse' button. But you're point still makes sense.

Yeah, you're probably right that magic wouldn't exactly excuse everything. It just seemed silly that magic allows magical gates to open up to other dimensions (the oblivion gates for example), can summon otherworldly beings, allows telekinesis, yet we are arguing about whether dragons could talk or write...

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 22, 2011, 12:55:13 am »

Technicly not other diamentions but different plains of the same one, or different worlds in the same universe. But that's my lore geek comeing out and you can ignore it. But as I said, your point still makes sense, weither dragons can talk or not is silly with all the things we have. Besides if Argoneans, lizard people, can talk why can't Dragons, giant lizards that can fly,?
Because I can"-WolfTengu

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #853 on: January 22, 2011, 01:34:58 am »

Technicly not other diamentions but different plains of the same one, or different worlds in the same universe. But that's my lore geek comeing out and you can ignore it. But as I said, your point still makes sense, weither dragons can talk or not is silly with all the things we have. Besides if Argoneans, lizard people, can talk why can't Dragons, giant lizards that can fly,?
Do Argonians have lips? If they do, they can just use the same system as humans.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 22, 2011, 01:38:34 am »

I'm reasonibly sure they do not, I like argoneans in general and make alot of them as characters in Oblivion, I tend to tweak with their faces to give them a more dragony look.
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 201