Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265431 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #825 on: January 21, 2011, 06:38:42 pm »

My gods, Tellemurius! Are you completely mad? ???

CrownofFire: Question 1: Telepathically? Question 2: Telekinetically? :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 21, 2011, 06:47:28 pm »

My comment on the dragon language thing is more of a question of how the fuck the dragons are supposed to speak some of the sounds. For example, just try making a V sound without using your lips. B, F, M, P, V, and W are all impossible to form without lips. Dovahkiin is impossible to say because of that.

Also, "dragons" in TES are actually wyverns, with no front legs or claws. How the fuck are they supposed to write?

I will quote every fantasy author ever: "DRAGON EES MAGEEEK".

And I imagine the Akavir dragons will be more like Chinese dragons.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 21, 2011, 06:56:45 pm »

Maybe they can conjure some big magickal arms, a la Trogdor!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:58:27 pm by Sergius »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 21, 2011, 07:00:51 pm »

lol wth, i never seen a one arm dragon before.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 21, 2011, 07:02:01 pm »

lol wth, i never seen a one arm dragon before.

BURNINATE

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 21, 2011, 07:02:32 pm »

Also, "dragons" in TES are actually wyverns, with no front legs or claws. How the fuck are they supposed to write?

Lying awkwardly on their backs while scratching at the rock with their leg-claws?

Nope, I've got nothing.

Edit: TROGDOOOOOOOOR!!!
Entropy is not what it used to be.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 21, 2011, 07:03:54 pm »

Balancing on one foot.
[/post]

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 21, 2011, 07:12:59 pm »

My comment on the dragon language thing is more of a question of how the fuck the dragons are supposed to speak some of the sounds. For example, just try making a V sound without using your lips. B, F, M, P, V, and W are all impossible to form without lips. Dovahkiin is impossible to say because of that.

This is one big problem when authors try to write alien languages. They don't consider that physiology, well, matters.

On the other hand, you don't need human physiology to produce human sounds. Parrots can do a damn good job imitating a wider variety of sounds than humans can, including most human sounds, without using the same physiological processes at all. Dragons could do the same.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 21, 2011, 08:22:28 pm »

My guess is that the magic dragon voice has magic dragon words specifically for carving magic dragon runes into rock. Maybe it also has words for producing sounds without lips! That'd definitely explain how the dragons disappeared so thoroughly. There was no one around to speak the magic words that would have given them the ability to speak magic words.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #834 on: January 21, 2011, 08:31:34 pm »

On the other hand, you don't need human physiology to produce human sounds. Parrots can do a damn good job imitating a wider variety of sounds than humans can, including most human sounds, without using the same physiological processes at all. Dragons could do the same.
I doubt that a dragon would have something similar though. Don't know much about the bird system, but it probably wouldn't work with the large size of a dragon.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 21, 2011, 08:37:33 pm »

I doubt that a dragon would have something similar though. Don't know much about the bird system, but it probably wouldn't work with the large size of a dragon.

I would imagine speaking with a beak would be hell of alot harder than speaking with a muzzle, size should have nothing to do with it anyway.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 21, 2011, 08:49:30 pm »

Size having something to do with it makes sense enough, but you could say the same about the damn things flying.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 21, 2011, 10:03:19 pm »

I'm curiuous as to what they are going to do for canon when it comes to Shivering Isles. They had the warp in the west to explain the six different endings for Daggerfall, how are they going to explain the new sheogorath without makeing a specific race and sex the canon Champion of Cyrodiil?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 21, 2011, 10:06:50 pm »

I'm curiuous as to what they are going to do for canon when it comes to Shivering Isles. They had the warp in the west to explain the six different endings for Daggerfall, how are they going to explain the new sheogorath without makeing a specific race and sex the canon Champion of Cyrodiil?

Maybe the Champion goes Sheogorath crazy, loses their original personality, and remakes themself into a new form.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:51 pm »

There's at least three answers to that. Two have been given: Non-human physiology and magic.

The third is the fun one: There's no reason whatsoever to assume that the dragon 'V' sound sounds anything at all like the human 'V' sound. There's a number of real-world languages that use (or can use, anyway) the same symbol ("letter") to designate different sounds than the symbol is used to designate in other languages. My own fun idea is that the draconic V is the sound of their upper teeth crunching through the bones of overly curious humans :P

I could totally see any length conversation between dragons requiring an small orgy of humanoid consumption. Towns are depopulated. This is why dragons randomly attack things, obviously. They're just looking to have some quality conversation with someone.

Also, "dragons" in TES are actually wyverns, with no front legs or claws.
Human tells giant flying lizard with non-standard anatomy that they can't call themselves 'dragon', 'cause 'dragons' have six limbs.

Giant flying, carnivorous, lizard calmly reminds tiny, noisy, edible monkey that these sort of arguments are why they, the dragons, invented ketchup.

Crunchy chatterbox withdraws complaint shortly thereafter, one way or another.

Moral of the story: That which is considerably bigger than you and capable of speech can call themselves anything they bloody well please. Whatchu gon' do about it?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:15:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 201