Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265441 times)

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #870 on: January 23, 2011, 04:29:23 am »

I hope the game is still moddable and not so difficult to mod, and hopefully the modder themselves add in planty of content, and also try to attempt to make a nice total convertion, which I think will be possible due to it's new engine and some people have talent. Like that SureAI team that made Nehrim, however I'm looking for something in English dialogue and voice over then german (no offense).

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 23, 2011, 04:33:48 am »

Why would anyone be offended? Alot of people would prefer to hear their own language than one they don't understand. You can always turn off the sound of the german one and read the subtitles, but then some find it a hassle to constantly turn the sound on and off, off and on, etc.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #872 on: January 23, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »

I figure it's about time for a US gamer to have to play with a language other than his own. It's what Europeans have had to put up with for centuries of computer game design.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 23, 2011, 12:26:05 pm »

for centuries of computer game design.
I agree with you! Ever since Battle for Humanity: Origin of Species by Darwin Entertainment in 1859, we've had nothing but games in English.
Anyway, given that the market for video games is mostly in America, I don't see a shift in language any time soon.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 23, 2011, 01:10:48 pm »

I dunno. Some people prefered the Polish voice-overs with English subtitles for The Witcher. Though the English voice-overs might've been bad due to the rather bad translation. Wasn't Pathologic-bad, but still.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 23, 2011, 02:51:38 pm »

What're you on about, I live in a tiny country with a negligible computer game market and pretty much everything that comes out gets translated. I still prefer English versions, though.
I also don't get darkedone02's post. You haven't even seen the game itself, mate, and you're already asking for TCs? You don't have much faith in Bethsoft, do you? :D

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 23, 2011, 02:53:55 pm »

What're you on about, I live in a tiny country with a negligible computer game market and pretty much everything that comes out gets translated. I still prefer English versions, though.
I also don't get darkedone02's post. You haven't even seen the game itself, mate, and you're already asking for TCs? You don't have much faith in Bethsoft, do you? :D

To be fair its right not to trust in all the features Bethsoft promises... There has been some issues in the past. Personally I like the company, And the games they produce even though it may not be exactly what they said it would be.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 25, 2011, 11:13:42 am »

New article on combat here.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 25, 2011, 11:18:57 am »

New article on combat here.

At least maces are still in.

I'm thinking either nord berserker or nord paladin now.

EDIT: Mainly because, quite honestly, the new magic system sounds counter intuitive and a bit naff. I'd rather have had it they kept it like Oblivion or something.

EDIT2: Personally, I think they should have expanded the magic system to use three buttons. R, F and C. Bind a spell to each of them to use. Far better than what they're doing now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:23:02 am by Farseer »

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 25, 2011, 11:33:55 am »

I think that the magic system could be quite good, as long as they don't do what happened in Fable 3 where you only have three (or is it four?) different spells to choose from. Anyway, as long a the keep their promises with the 85 spells and hopefully don't just have flame 1, flame 2... flame 10, frost 1, etc. it should be pretty awesome.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 25, 2011, 11:35:45 am »

85? Didn't oblivion only have like 30 attainable skill types?

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 25, 2011, 11:39:51 am »

85? Didn't oblivion only have like 30 attainable skill types?

with over 85 spells divided into five schools of magic

There are just over 100 spell effects you can cast in Oblivion.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 25, 2011, 12:33:18 pm »

While that is techically true, most of those are really just variations. Like the billion summon spells for different creatures or armor pieces that make up nearly the entire school of conjuration (the only other spell effect in it is the oh so useful turn undead, in case you're wondering).

“I think you get very used the idea that enemies are all there for you to mow through, but it doesn't seem like someone's life is going to end. We're trying to get that across.” ... “You end up doing it a lot in the game, and there has to be an energy and a joy to it,” Howard says.

Anyone else get the vibe that the guy's talking without thinking about what he's saying? One minute it's "this is serious business, someone's going to die" and then it's all "...and we've made it really fun to kill people".

the sword perk increases your chances of landing a critical strike, the axe perk punishes enemies with residual bleeding damage after each blow, and the mace perk ignores armor on your enemies to land more powerful strikes.

What, so swords don't make people bleed? Arbitrary and gamey. >:(

timing based blocking system that requires players to actively raise their shields

...eeeeexcept when you watch people who know what they're doing actually using shields, they hold them up all the bloody time.

If you hold down the block button, your character will attempt to execute a bash move. If you catch a bandit off guard with the bash while he's attacking, it knocks him back and exposes him to a counter or power attack.

How exactly can I catch a bandit off guard if doing a bash requires me to hold the button for some length of time? Won't the opening go away before the game registers that I want to bash?

Players can block and bash with two-handed weapons as well, but it isn't as effective as the shield.

God please don't tell me it's going to be the same as in Oblivion where blocking with a weapon still somehow resulted in taking partial damage.

Bethesda also smartly changed the pace at which characters backpedal

Aaaand by "smartly" I assume they mean "after being yelled at about it by the players of their two previous games".

you could blast enemies with a flame ball from afar, hold the button down to wield the spell like a flame thrower, place a rune on the ground to create an environmental trap that spontaneously combusts when an enemy steps on it, or equip the spell with both hands to deliver high damage fireball attacks that drain your magicka reserves quickly.

That actually sounds pretty cool. I've never understood the need for the various spell versions in TES and indeed pretty much every other game. Just determine the strength and cost of the spell by how long I hold the bloody button down (or even better, in case of the PS3 with its analog buttons, how hard I mash the button).

“There’s a gaminess to it that we didn’t really have before,” Howard says as if that's a good thing.

Well admittedly it might give a point and purpose to the bazilion of nearly-identical spell effects. Maybe.

consuming potions

Anyone else getting fed up with those?

the longer you keep the bow drawn the more powerful your shot will be

To what point and purpose? Why would I ever want to do less damage than the maximum I can?

Once you successfully sneak up behind an unsuspecting victim, you can unleash a deadly blow with the dagger, an almost useless weapon in previous Elder Scrolls games that is receiving a major boost in Skyrim. “Now when you sneak up behind guys, the dagger does something like 10x damage,” Howard says. “I don’t know if we’re going to keep that, but you feel like you should be killing the guy if you’ve gotten that close and you have a dagger.”

That actually sounds kinda cool, but why exactly wouldn't a sword do even more damage?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:53:47 pm by Sordid »

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 25, 2011, 12:47:35 pm »

Because a sword is larger and less precise than a dagger that can cut windpipes and such.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 25, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »

i can still lunge at you and twist my sword in your throat still
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 201