Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265363 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #780 on: January 20, 2011, 08:46:50 am »

I'm very tempted to comment on read to much into the name change from Construction Set to Creation Kit, though. Makes you wonder. ;)

Not really. It just goes better with their new Creation engine.
Ah, of course. Now I'm glad I was only joking in the first place.
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:49 pm »

Hell yeah they did. Daggerfall ran on the same engine as Terminator: Future Shock (the first game to have mouselook and polygon enemies, btw) and it kinda showed, and Morrowind's combat system consisted of checking the "always use best attack" checkbox in the options, placing your cursor over the enemy, and clicking the mouse button. At least there was some variety with the different power attacks and manual blocking in Oblivion.

Except when you were grinding weapon skills. Then you would thrust with your mace and/or axe, and hack with your spear.

Also Dark Messiah of M&M is 1st person and pretty damn awesome.

Acid

• Bay Watcher
  • Self-diagnosed hardcore lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 21, 2011, 12:00:35 am »

Well, Dark Messiah was pretty meh in my opinion, even with that kicking thing; these spikes and pitfalls were placed too often make it look realistic. It was pretty interesting in the gameflow department, though.

Is there any info about horses in Skyrim? Because if they did add that, I would be really convinced they're actually trying to make things realistic.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 21, 2011, 12:03:56 am »

Well, Dark Messiah was pretty meh in my opinion, even with that kicking thing; these spikes and pitfalls were placed too often make it look realistic. It was pretty interesting in the gameflow department, though.

Is there any info about horses in Skyrim? Because if they did add that, I would be really convinced they're actually trying to make things realistic.
I recall a video mentioning horses in a list of enemies...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 21, 2011, 12:35:37 am »

Am I the only one who didn't tick "always use best attack" in Morrowind and actually moved to do different attacks? Of course, it'd matter more if certain armors (IE enemy organ-covers) reacted differently to different types of attacks.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38:22 am »

So they're dumping levitation. Any news as to if they're bringing back climbing? I've only played Daggerfall a lil'bit, but the climbing was awesome.

At least until you fell through someone's apparently non-existent roof, dropped several floors, and died. That, less awesome.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 21, 2011, 12:40:31 am »

Climbing would be acceptible if we don't get levitation back, I know there are less of them than in other TES games, but some of the mountains in oblivion, or even hills, where near inpossible to get up unless you looked around, which depending on where you where could take more than half an hour, for a road. Climbing or leviation would be better just to aliveate the stress of sheer mountainfaces, and it would allow for more 3D dungeon fun.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 21, 2011, 01:04:28 am »

Climbing would be awkward to implement in a proper 3D engine.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 21, 2011, 01:14:14 am »

Climbing would be acceptible if we don't get levitation back, I know there are less of them than in other TES games, but some of the mountains in oblivion, or even hills, where near inpossible to get up unless you looked around, which depending on where you where could take more than half an hour, for a road. Climbing or leviation would be better just to aliveate the stress of sheer mountainfaces, and it would allow for more 3D dungeon fun.

Bah, if you think Oblivion was bad in that regard you really should try Morrowind. Oblivion's set in a big bowl with a few mountains along the edges and for the most part you can get from any point to any other point in a straight line. Morrowin's the other way around, with a big mountain range in the middle, so you constantly have to make detours to get around the terrain. Oddly enough, as much as I used to hate it, I actually found I prefered it that way when Oblivion came out. Made the world feel much larger than it really was.

Am I the only one who didn't tick "always use best attack" in Morrowind and actually moved to do different attacks? Of course, it'd matter more if certain armors (IE enemy organ-covers) reacted differently to different types of attacks.

Actually I did that as well, which just goes to show how horrifyingly dull and monotone the combat system was that that I'd willingly trade combat efficiency for some semblance of variety, if only visual.

Horses are supposedly in, but no word yet on mounted combat. I'm guessing no on that one. Although speeding along a low-flying dragon on your horse, jumping onto and climbing up its wing, then proceeding to run up the length of its body and jabbing your sword into its skull would be awesome.
But there I go with my Shadow of the Colossus fantasies again.

Except when you were grinding weapon skills. Then you would thrust with your mace and/or axe, and hack with your spear.

Also Dark Messiah of M&M is 1st person and pretty damn awesome.

Never felt the need to do that.

Saw videos of that. Looks fairly intersting, actually.

You haven't played Assassin's Creed, I take it.
Also, Daggerfall's engine was a proper 3D engine, there was none of that 2.5D nonsense common at the time going on.

Also: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/01/20/skyrim-s-dragon-shouts.aspx
Is that an actual screenshot? Why isn't the skin of the dragon's wings attached to the body? That just looks wrong.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:17:56 am by Sordid »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 21, 2011, 01:18:30 am »

Well, I meant where heightmaps are involved (IE those damn mountains). And in Assassin's Creed, there's lots of hardpoints related to climbing buildings.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 21, 2011, 01:30:22 am »

I don't think there's a need to be able to climb every surface, I'd be perfectly happy with a compromise where only some surfaces with hand-placed hardpoints are climbable. I'm reminded of The Saboteur, basically an AC ripoff set in the Nazi-occupied Paris. The climbing is a lot clunkier than in AC, but it doesn't matter because you climb much less often. If it's just a secondary gameplay mechanic, then I don't think it needs to be done extensively or even particularly well.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 21, 2011, 08:05:38 am »

I don't think there's a need to be able to climb every surface, I'd be perfectly happy with a compromise where only some surfaces with hand-placed hardpoints are climbable.

Honestly, I think that this is so out of line with the open-world, player-driven nature of TES that I'd really hate to see it. By "it", I mean the game cherry-picking spots where I can climb, hide, etc., based on what the game "expects" me to do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:22 am »

Well, they could always do it AC style where EVERYTHING is so damn clad with climbing spots that it gets kind of ridiculous.

"Oh, look at these perfectly positioned diagonal wooden pieces jutting out from this tower, with a giant wooden bar that seems like it has no use at the end"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 21, 2011, 08:24:39 am »

That's exactly the kind of stuff I'd want to avoid. TES is at its worst when it feels too "gamey" and at its best when it feels like you're in an organic, believable location.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:32 am »

Why? There've been many proper 3d engines with climbing. Maybe not the Assassin's Creed climb anywhere kind, but even the Tomb Raider kind of climbing would be better than being unable to get over a neck-high fence.

I mean, the first two Gothic games did it, just to look at an Action RPG example.

Though what bothers me more than being unable to climb up a ledge is characters being unable to move up a steep grassy hill. It's dirt! You can kick your own steps into it! Or grab hold and crawl up! Instead I have to move around and look for a sufficiently flat part to go up.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 201